AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my 1971 Russian Izhmash AKMS back from @Two Rivers Arms . This was a pristine unissued AKM kit from Commen92. It's built on a Childers receiver, with an old Profile Romanian barrel, @thorstencils selector marks, @techno paint only on receiver and barrel. Huge shoutout to @Covfefe for the proper 5 spot weld Russian underfolder assembly. I've wanted a Russian AKMS forever and you guys made it not just possible, but perfect.

Being a '71 it has some mid era and a couple late era transitional parts.

non-flared top cover
stamped numbers instead of electro pencil
numbered recoil rod
non-spring, hole, numbered LHG
numbered sight leaf
Angled rear trunnion
Bottom swivel buttstock (replaced with Izzy UF 1st gen UF assembly same)
2nd gen cast gas block.

Wood Line Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bicycle part Gas Bicycle fork Auto part Metal

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Wood Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Gas Grass

Wood Air gun Trigger Line Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Gas Composite material Bicycle part Tool

Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Shotgun

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Link to original thread with detailed pics of the parts kit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Absolutely beautiful AKMS. Turned out amazing.

Interesting take on the gas block as I have a 71 Izzy kit by serial was made 124 guns before yours. (ОЭ3940). Mine has a machined gas block so I guess they were using what was left on them before the intro of cast gas blocks. I'll have to check numbering and methods used on my small parts later this evening.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely beautiful AKMS. Turned out amazing.

Interesting take on the gas block as I have a 71 Izzy kit by serial was made 124 guns before yours. (ОЭ3940). Mine has a machined gas block so I guess they were using what was left on them before the intro of cast gas blocks. I'll have to check numbering and methods used on my small parts later this evening.
Yeah, I've seen milled, 1st gen cast, and 2nd gen cast on 71s. The 1st gen seems to be fairly rare on any year (though I have one on my 75 weirdly enough). That's really interesting that they're so close together in build but have parts 2 generations apart!. Thinking that production line had a big ole bin of mixed gas blocks that they were grabbing from!

·
Registered
Mostly Soviet
183 Posts
That is a beautiful recreation of the original. It’s a real shame that Soviet era underfolder kits are so scarce to source.
Agreed. Like Vlado said on his Syrian army underfolder video, the PLO kits somewhat fooled us for a bit into thinking they were more common than they really were. Seems like the majority of them never left internal service in Russia save for a few niche use-cases, like the AKMS-B with the PBS-1 suppressor. The simplicity and overall look of the underfolder is definitely under-rated by many in the AK community.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Agreed. Like Vlado said on his Syrian army underfolder video, the PLO kits somewhat fooled us for a bit into thinking they were more common than they really were. Seems like the majority of them never left internal service in Russia save for a few niche use-cases, like the AKMS-B with the PBS-1 suppressor. The simplicity and overall look of the underfolder is definitely under-rated by many in the AK community.
Would love to turn my 72 Izzy into a akms been trying to find a proper rear hookup but pickings are slim!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Hungarian 1st Gen assembly with the separate sling loop retaining plate matches the '72 Izzy one exactly in form, just missing the proofs.
But only if the Hungarian assembly has the 3 spot welds visible. I talked to a rep from whatacountry and it seems the Hungarian units with separate sling loops do not have visible spot welds, so it’s best to just buy a unit with visible spots welds and buy a polish axle & loop

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Musical instrument accessory
B8
But only if the Hungarian assembly has the 3 spot welds visible. I talked to a rep from whatacountry and it seems the Hungarian units with separate sling loops do not have visible spot welds, so it’s best to just buy a unit with visible spots welds and buy a polish axle & loop
The one I got from them has them visible. Granted they're fairly faint but they're there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts