AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got in another excellent kit from Commen92. It is I'd say 98% condition. Being a '71 it has mostly mid era and a couple late era pieces. I thought it was a 6 digit with only 4 of the on the TC which I thought really odd till I got a closer look at the front trunnion. It's an o not a zero and a Cyrillic character 褝 instead of a 3.

non-flared top cover
stamped numbers instead of electro pencil
numbered recoil rod
non-spring, hole, numbered LHG
numbered sight leaf
Angled rear trunnion
Bottom swivel buttstock
2nd gen cast gas block.

With the 2nd gen gas block I think this is a mid to late year build. I'm intending on converting this one to AKMS. So I got a Hungarian 1st gen UF assembly that exactly matches the 2nd gen Russian (still trying to find a Russian one). I think this kit finally tops off my Russian AKM collection (unless I get an original barreled PLO kit or a reweldable early early Tula).

View attachment 333765
View attachment 333766
Betcha didn't know the barrel comes out of the gas tube 馃槄 It was late. Whaddya do

Cleaned and cataloged last night. Here's an album with way too many pics, lol. I had a blast making it.

Registered
So cool! I am planning on making one of my 71s an underfolder also. Mine does not have a numbered handguard though, and it came with a side swivel stock

I was going so a 75 but these mid year light Izzy wood just looks better to me

Super cool to get all the stamped letters and numbered handguard with a cast gas block!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So cool! I am planning on making one of my 71s an underfolder also. Mine does not have a numbered handguard though, and it came with a side swivel stock

I was going so a 75 but these mid year light Izzy wood just looks better to me

Super cool to get all the stamped letters and numbered handguard with a cast gas block!
Whatacountry has the Hungy folder assemblies for $80.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@65cobra Yours and @Vlado 's 71s with the wide variety of parts for the year made me want to roll the dice and see what I would get. The focus for me was to make it an AKMS. 71 was last year for the 5 spot welds on the arm and they transitioned to 3 spots in 72 but like a lot of trans parts they may have come late 71. Your late example with the side swivel and unnumbered LHG would def work with the Hungarian UF.

Premium Member
Too bad you didn't get the first pattern cast GB to complete the collection, but a great kit nonetheless. The stock is almost too nice to set aside for an AKMS build - classic Izhmash. Such a dilemma, can't toss out early dark wood, nor bright mid-production wood, and you have to keep a side-swivel late example! That can be a nice one though. Maybe you should swap that stock onto one of your mid-production refurb projects if you have any of those in the works.

That looks like a pretty clear circular proof on the stock. I have one with an odd circular mark as well, but mine is barely there. It is a very lightly circular stamp that appears to read OTK 17.
Brown Wood Amber Wood stain Varnish

Brown Wood Rectangle Amber Wood stain

It's just a mystery mark to me. And I figured I'd better document it since as soon as I put that rifle together, it will probably wear quickly. This is from an RGuns kit with a refurb stamp on the stock, but with no evidence of an actual arsenal procedure. It probably just got a once-over and the stamp.

Anyway, make sure someone else builds it for you. The way you have it put together seems like it might be a single-shot SBR!

pp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ProfessorPlum Agreed the stock is about perfect. I have a pair of Rguns '68 Izzy refurbs each with a brownish stock this could go on to spice them up. I'll either do that or just keep the stock and trunnion cataloged for the completed rifle as an accessory for future resale (lol like that'll ever happen) in case someone wants to convert it back. I looked for a while for a '71 that had a jacked up stock so I wouldn't feel bad replacing it but had no luck. I wanted to do a BFPU AKMS, but the original paint on this kit is so nice, I just cannot bring myself to have it antiqued. Converting it is already tough enough.

Funny enough I have a pristine '75 with the 1st pattern gas block and side swivel! My early, mId, and late collection from both arsenals is complete (except the aforementioned original barrel PLO or reweldable 60-61 Tula). The whole reason for this one was to make an AKMS. Learned recently that the 2nd pattern is the rarest of the three (milled, 1st, 2nd pattern) for 71s and was just used at the end of the year. That helps justify use of the 2nd pattern UF assembly.
I was hoping you'd chime in on that circle proof. I was gonna message you about it if you didn't! Lol. I knew you'd have an example!!

Registered
@ProfessorPlum Agreed the stock is about perfect. I have a pair of Rguns '68 Izzy refurbs each with a brownish stock this could go on to spice them up. I'll either do that or just keep the stock and trunnion cataloged for the completed rifle as an accessory for future resale (lol like that'll ever happen) in case someone wants to convert it back. I looked for a while for a '71 that had a jacked up stock so I wouldn't feel bad replacing it but had no luck. I wanted to do a BFPU AKMS, but the original paint on this kit is so nice, I just cannot bring myself to have it antiqued. Converting it is already tough enough.

Funny enough I have a pristine '75 with the 1st pattern gas block and side swivel! My early, mId, and late collection from both arsenals is complete (except the aforementioned original barrel PLO or reweldable 60-61 Tula). The whole reason for this one was to make an AKMS. Learned recently that the 2nd pattern is the rarest of the three (milled, 1st, 2nd pattern) for 71s and was just used at the end of the year. That helps justify use of the 2nd pattern UF assembly.
I was hoping you'd chime in on that circle proof. I was gonna message you about it if you didn't! Lol. I knew you'd have an example!!
I'll buy the stock pm me with price if u will sell it. I'm ai fxed stock kind of guy. Beautiful kit. You really lucked out.

Registered
Beautiful kit. My 71 izzy is 124 under yours. Same prefix and #3940. Interestingly mine has a milled gas block. Full matching kit including LHG. Came from sauer supply. I鈥檒l have to dig it back out and see what some of the other particulars are on it.

Should make a beautiful build. I did my 68 Izzy as a AKMS with a Hungarian folder. You鈥檒l enjoy it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll buy the stock pm me with price if u will sell it. I'm ai fxed stock kind of guy. Beautiful kit. You really lucked out.
If I do decide to sell it I'll hit you up. I've gotten lucky with some really great pieces.

Beautiful kit. My 71 izzy is 124 under yours. Same prefix and #3940. Interestingly mine has a milled gas block. Full matching kit including LHG. Came from sauer supply. I鈥檒l have to dig it back out and see what some of the other particulars are on it.
How cool is that?! Def would like to compare pics. I wonder if yours has some of the same markings like the 'a' in square next to the barrel pin on the right side, the odd proof on the piston, and that circle mark on the front left of the stock. So close together they probably got assembled and proofed by the same folks. Maybe they just had bins of the three currently available gas blocks and used whatever they grabbed first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
With a huge shout out to @Covfefe for sourcing it, I finally have a Russian 5-spot underfolder assembly for this '71!!!! That is the last year they used the 5-spot. Clearly going to use it instead of the Hungarian assembly. I thought this was unobtainium. Covfefe worked some major magic and got it to me. I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now. It is in fantastic shape as well. Several proofs are visible right off the bat.

Wood Tool Tints and shades Metal Composite material

Wood Line Automotive exterior Tints and shades Door

Revolver Finger Material property Personal protective equipment Auto part

Bicycle part Wood Rim Bicycle Bicycle fork

Wood Natural material Gas Automotive exterior Electric blue

More pics

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been looking for one for 11 months. Got screwed on one from Russia. Ordered a couple days prior to Ukraine invasion and seller (with good reviews) disappeared. I was so bummed. Reached out to all the long term collectors I know of to no avail. Finally gave up and ordered the Hungy set. Although 99% of people in the world wouldn't know the difference, I would and it would always bug me. Then bam, Covfefe comes through with the magic. If he was nearby I'd get him a keg of beer and some hookers or whatever! Lolol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a hell of a photo album. Can't wait to see the final product!
I've learned to over-do it on photos. Too many times I've looked for proof positions or a specific angle on a part to determine year or factory of manufacture and have been unable to find it. So now I get as many angles and shots as I can. Better to have them and not need them then need and not have! Besides, its fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts