AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scored a '63 manufactured, beautiful, packed to the brim in cosmoline, new factory 26 type 56 SKS. looks to be unissued new.

BUT, I wonder, were these ever re-arsenaled after vietnam? Why I ask is that it's not all matching, but everything on it is new> stock, bolt, receiver, barrel, gastube etc etc, everything is new. (with no crossed out numbers).

Receiver and bolt match, the top cover matches the trigger guard, the magazine is different # all together.

I bought it sight unseen for under market value, knowing it was a factory 26 rifle and vietnam conflict era (to match my chinese AK and two retro-colts)

Is it common for these to be mix masters?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What on it does not match? Most that I have seen match, but Chinese SKSs have few unbroken rules.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What on it does not match? Most that I have seen match, but Chinese SKSs have few unbroken rules.
the bolt # matches the receiver

top cover # matches the trigger guard (but not the bolt/reveiver)

mag # is completely seperate (doesnt match anything)

stock is un-numbered

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hard to say what is going on there. If it has "late" parts, like a stamped trigger guard, then maybe it was rearsenaled. If it is all 60s era parts, then maybe it was cobbled together from rifles that did not pass QC or something.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say what is going on there. If it has "late" parts, like a stamped trigger guard, then maybe it was rearsenaled. If it is all 60s era parts, then maybe it was cobbled together from rifles that did not pass QC or something.
Thats what is so weird about it. looks to be all 60's era parts including the "n" marked rear sight leaf. Might just hold on to it until I find an all matching 60's era rifle. I'm just picky and want one still new in the box.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
I've read that when the boatloads of these came in, the Chinese were getting rid of everything they could, or did not want. Maybe your rifle is one that was repaired, stored away, then exported.

In any case, it sounds like a nice one...pics?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Digging deeper into it, the receiver body was almost filled 100% with cosmoline. When you pulled the bolt back it was hard to as cosmoline oozed out of every crack.

it's some sort of refurb forced matched rifle. If you look closely you can see the orginal bolt carrier # ground off and re-stamped to match the receiver. The bolt itself has had the # ground off and is now blank.

Bummer, as the barrel is a new long shank screw in, '63 receiver with a new stock. If new un-numbered bolt/carriers , top covers and mag bodies were available I'd likely just change them out.

there is nothing functionally or even cosmetically wrong with it other than my anal ness for a matching # rifle. I'll try to shoot some pics and put them up.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. If it shoots good, keep it. It may not be matching, but legit refurbs are collectable in their own right IMO. Some of my best shooters are mismatched.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
A large number of the Chinese SKS rifles are refurbs. The mix of parts era is evident on many even though the numbers are all matching. Often they did a good job in the refurb and scrubbing and renumbering.
A lot of the PTI/Polytech imports were mismatched., but it seems to be hit or miss across the board. I have a couple that are excellent condition but mismatched and others that are used but all matching. I guess when you purchased it you did not think or have reason to check for matching numbers etc.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So when I say this thing was full of cosmoline this is what I meant. The barrel was one solid tube of cosmoline too, pretty much any empty space was filled solid.

import mark. A company I'm not familiar with

Factory 26 type 56 1963 range serial

Long shank screw in barrel possibly Russian - looks like a faint Y in circle stamp along w/ "n" sino-soviet rear sight

Barrel is crispy new early production. Chrome lined bore, but black/blued chamber.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Looks clean except all that cosmo. Imported by CJA China Jin An Springfield, MI. Long collar barrel as you noted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts