AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since 1960 was the last year for production of any Mosin Nagant, and it is the year I was born this one just screamed for me to buy it. It’s a Numbers matching 1960 Chinese Type 53 carbine that isn’t import marked. The rifle has more than it’s fair share of pitting and rust, so much so the # on the but plate is illegible, but with a matching numbered stock it is a safe bet the but plate is original also. The stock shows it’s fair share of water damage along with the normal dings and dents of any 52+ year old rifle, and it is missing one of it’s forearm sling escutcheons. All in all a rifle that has that been there and done it look, just right for my collection.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It does not look too bad. How is the bore? The one I have shoots really well. There must be a truckload of Mosins in your area to find as many as you do.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not look too bad. How is the bore? The one I have shoots really well. There must be a truckload of Mosins in your area to find as many as you do.

The bore looked bad but cleaned up real nice. there are a fair number of shops ( approx 15) in a 150 mile radius of me that sell Mosin's, plus I surf the web for some, this on was from an on line auction.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The last Mosin I saw around here was at a pawn shop down the road. It was during the panic and they wanted $500 for it. It's gone so I am guessing the sold it for that price. I shot my 53 this weekend and that is the first mosin I have shot and it was fun, left a big bruise.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Nice! Considering the no import mark, and the well used look, I wonder if its a bringback?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Considering the no import mark, and the well used look, I wonder if its a bringback?
Thats the story that came with it, but nothing to prove it.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Theres a non import one near me in like new cond. Ive just havnt gotten around to grabbing it.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Thats the story that came with it, but nothing to prove it.
You may not want to do it, or may not be possible, but if the owner of the store could possibly contact the guy he got it from, he might be willing to write a few lines of how and when the rifle came into his possession. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It certainly has that been there done the jungle thing look to it! Nice find.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may not want to do it, or may not be possible, but if the owner of the store could possibly contact the guy he got it from, he might be willing to write a few lines of how and when the rifle came into his possession. It never hurts to ask.

I have been thinking about doing that Joe, this rifle just seems to have a story to tell.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I really would try and do this. Something all of us collectors say is "I wish that rifle/pistol could talk", but unless it came from a family member, we almost never know the story.
I have one WWII bringback that I got from an author, who wrote a few paragraphs about how and when he got the piece, then signed it. I'm glad I did this, and the guy was pleased I was interested to know the story. let us know if you do this, and it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts