AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a sweet T2 front end from a fellow board member. I am very excited about building this and was digging through all of the T2 info here on the board and noticed something very odd about my front end.

Notice that it is marked like a Type 3, that is [Letter][Letter] [Number][Number][Number][Number] [Year Letter Code]. Researching the year letter code it would have been made in 1959 - two years after the latest previously known T2 per Tantal. It is also curious to me that it does not have a Izzy Triangle proofmark. All of the T2's and T3's I can ever remember have the Izzy logo on the trunnion except for a really early 1951 T2 on Gunbroker awhile back.

Please notice that my front end has mid production T2 barrel parts that would be correct for 1952-1954. This thing has a mirror bright bore and is going to make an awesome reweld!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is a stretch, but on the ejection side there is a partial stamp that looks like it might be a triangle with one inside - pointing this to East Germany.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
That is one hell of a front end you got there, looks great. T2's are on the top of my want list. Fredieusa is probably the guy who can answer your question best, hopefully he will chime in. He has been documenting all this stuff but I don't think he has posted the list. Keep us posted on the build!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no doubt it was made at Izhmash per the proof marks on the ejection side, the circle O and circle K. If that is indeed a triangle 1 stamp, it would have been in a East German arsenal at some point. It also has the Israeli circle y stamp, so the popular thought is that this was captured from Syria or Egypt during the Yom Kippur War.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Those circle O and circle K proofs look weird to me. Also the early t2's didnt have a izzy stamp, however they had the year marked. Is is possible that during the refurb that the year was ground off? See how the K is a lighter depth than the rest of the serial? Of course there is a new grind mark there, which could explain that too.

Very interesting....

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I was thinking the same on the scrubbed out, but the space is not really big enough for a 4 digit year date

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In my opinion Evolixsurf and Herbie are correct..

fredieusa said:
No telling on that kit/front end you have.. Other than it is a T2..

The furniture (inc the grip) are t3 and that is very common and accepted as most were changed... The parkerizing also was done later.. The "Л" at the end of that serial number states it is a 1959 year.. This receiver was remarked to likely match parts from another rifle.

It is common to see a serviceable rifle made(as in put together) from parts from two rifles and parts/receiver remarked to obtain consistent markings.. I believe these markings were done in Russia.. many were also done in Germany, but those markings are easily identifiable as they are the narrow print..

I would recommend a 1954/55 build as they had many t3 parts like the dist cover and recoil guide spring assembly etc.. and they are relatively easy to get..

Regards FD

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the answers. I was able to make quick work of making this a 1954 correct kit per the boards guidance. A huge thanks to m03 for swapping parts with me!

I decided to ditch the blood red furniture for some lighter wood. My 1960 T3 has a blood red stock and I wanted some separation between the two rifles. I dig the refurbed marked stock, as it is correct for this obviously refurbed rifle. I am really loving the T2 specific hardwood grip too! I was able to score a matching Russian T2/ T3 bolt, carrier, and gas tube. I also got a nice T2 selector, I probably could have gone with a T3 selector but again I want this to be different than my T3.

The new bolt dropped in and headspaced perfect to the front end, I guess it was meant to be.

Here is the complete kit, ready for a reweld.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
That really came out perfect, love the furniture! That kit has a lot of character

1 - 13 of 13 Posts