AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1958 Polish KbK Model "N" kit from Apex:

I am wondering if there is a way to build this rifle with a stamped receiver from Childers Guns:

This however would need a front and rear trunnion, so I was thinking of these:

and a barrel from Fabryka Broni:

Would all of these parts work together? I am a beginner to the whole world of AK's, and I would appreciate any help. Search results did not show up anything related to this topic, other than people building this kit with a milled receiver.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please be aware that milled (AK) barrel parts will generally not fit on a stamped (AKM) barrel. (The exception being a Chinese stamped rifle barrel, which mostly are milled diameter barrels, example MAK90)

The link you provided shows the item sold out, anyway. I couldn't tell from my lil phone screen if that barrel is for a milled gun or stamped gun...

Anyway. In my opinion, the best course of action would be to order a proper milled (press & pin) or (screw-in) receiver, and forget about using a stamped receiver. There are several choices, but only one of them IMO will be "right". However, the others will work and result will be a functional rifle.
1. Tortort milled Russian/Bulgarian/Polish. Either press & pin or screw-in barrel type 3. Of course, you will need the appropriate barrel as well. Tortort makes both 100% & 80% receivers and in my opinion, they are superb.

AKBuilder is always a good choice for barrels.

2. Firing Line also makes a type 3 receiver. I have never used one because I didn't like the way the maker's logo was displayed...

3. ATM receiver from BlackMarket Arms on Gunbroker. These are well made, relatively inexpensive and OH so very smooth actions. They are the same receivers used on the Century Polish model 1960 rifles (Century sold, not Century built, as the story goes) and these have a very fine reputation.

Milled type kit barrel parts will not fit on a stamped type barrel, as they will be larger diameter that the barrel and will spin around loose, so you need a barrel specifically for a milled parts kit.

Anyway... EXCELLENT choice for your kit! Those Polish kits are very very nice. Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just another thought, about expense. Yes, your idea of using a stamped receiver requires a front and rear trunnion and a barrel. You're going to have to buy a barrel. But a front and rear trunnion will cost (?) compared to a milled receiver ($210 ATM, $350 Tortort 80%, (?) Firing Line, CNCWarrior, hmmm, who else makes them? The milled receiver is easier to build, IMO because you don't have to locate trunnion holes & set rivets. Milled gun requires trigger guard/magazine catch rivets (4) pistol grip/rear tang rivets (3) and the bullet guide rivet (1). No messing around with drilling holes for the trunnions.

Also, the width of the milled kit rear sight block may be different than the stamped forward trunnion, but that's no biggie. All the other internal parts & pins "should" be usable in a stamped receiver.

I've built a stamped kit (Romy) on a milled ATM receiver and it works just fine, but never have built a milled kit on a stamped receiver, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, provided you have the right barrel.

Just my opinion, man, but those Polish milled kits are SO NICE that it just seems like it deserves a nice Tortort receiver.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, to sum it all up...
Cost of stamped receiver + rails +center support rivet (if not already installed) + front trunnion + bullet guide (if not already installed) + rear trunnion + rivet kit vs. cost of milled receiver (80% or 100%) + bullet guide + front cover plate + rivet set.

+ appropriate barrel

·
Technical Advisor
15,444 Posts
A tortort milled is easier to assemble than a stamped build.
Less tools and rivet work.
Unless you have build tools a 100% tortort with Polish markings is worth the cost.
Still requires press or substitute abs trigger guard rivet work.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you do not want to go to the Milled build I would suggest you sell your kit and build what you want for a stamped build. As stated above a Polish Milled kit should not be a hack job but should be built on a Tortort Receiver as it was originally, less of course the full auto extra pin.

Reactions: Sunspot

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the milled receiver on GB that Mudburner is referring to:

It's 100% machined (requires FFL), heat treated, and doesn't have extra stuff stamped into it like their other receivers. The most important thing about this receiver is that it is in stock and can be shipped immediately. I wish they made a milled underfolder receiver to go with my Polish 1962 kit - at this price I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Technical Advisor
15,444 Posts
Firing Line are old school milled.
They work., but there are much more authentic and better spec as in tortort etc.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think its a waste to build a nice milled kit on a receiver with billboard writing on the side of it. Tortort receivers are built off original blue prints and he does not put billboards on the side. You may have to wait for them to be made but they are really worth the wait.

Reactions: JeepFan and Sunspot

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
your build will be worth way more with correct milled receiver. Tortort is the way to go. Worth every penny,.

I know its your build.... but most people here are gonna start drinking heavily, having chest pains... just seeing a kit like you got built on a stamped receiver :eek:.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Another vote for build it right with the correct receiver which is without exception a Tortort. Anything else is a waste of your time, effort, money and a high quality Polish kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Mudburner @AKBLUE @howiebearse @Caverpete @Sunspot @JeepFan
I appreciate all the help. I will go with Tortort milled receiver. I only found this one to be available at the moment:

I believe it's too late to grab BlackMarket Arms receiver from gunbroker, that was a really good deal.

I am having trouble finding a barrel that will fit this kit and Tortort receiver. There are so many barrels on AK builder website, can anyone help me find one?

I found this: AK47 Replacement Barrel Compatibility but I think their compatibility table is based on their own products?

@ Mudburner, "cost of milled receiver (80% or 100%) + bullet guide + front cover plate + rivet set", are you aware where I can get a bullet guide from? Which part is the front cover plate part? Did you mean dust cover? I believe the kit cam with all the rivets I need, but I might be mistaken.

Thanks for all the help gentleman.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Get the press pin, 16" chrome lined barrel for Milled receiver ak from AK Builder If you cannot figure it out call them on phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can order a bullet guide from the usual AK parts vendors. A 7.62x39 bullet guide is interchangeable with both stamped trunnion and milled receiver. It will rivet into the receiver. Or if you have already bought a stamped front trunnion, it may have one installed already, but maybe not. Drill out the rivet & re-install.

The front cover plate is not the dust cover, it is the small plate that covers the bullet guide rivet, and slides into tiny grooves at the bottom/front of a milled type 3 receiver. It covers the pocket where the lower handguard inserts into the receiver. The Tortort will have it, the ATM receiver will not, will have just a hole. Once you get your receiver, you'll see whether you need one or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts