AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Great photos - thanks for providing them. Has the 1949 been refinished - just wondering about the black bayonet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very welcome, said I was gonna get these pics up awhile ago, takes a long time to do an album!, Rayman, yes this rifle's been refurbed, never saw a 49 yet that wasn't but this one still appears to have all it's original parts, I actually took it apart today w/a couple others to compare subassemblies & it's definitely all the original early parts inside also. It has the black rough paint finish which is common on the refurbs, interestingly I've never seen a 49 w/o the black paint whether it had original parts or had been updated w/later parts & blade bayonet, not saying there's none out there just none I've seen, the spike bayonet on this gun is black but it's not the same "rough" finish black paint, I compared it to a couple non-refurb M44 carbines & it looks to be a bit flatter finish than them, as to original I would think the 1949-early 50 spike bayonets were all black as the M44's but that's only an opinion. Another interesting thing about this rifle, it's dated 1949 & the serial number is 1949! Yoopers great section on the SKS is right on as far as differences in these guns, the early trigger groups had no disconnector & no safety spring & the "inspection" hole in the left side of the trigger group assembly is oblong instead of round, checking a translation of an original Soviet SKS manual there's actually notes in the manual on the differences in the earlier & later SKS (the manual refers to the SKS as "carbine") parts in the trigger assembly & bolt group. I hope to get pics up in the album w/all these differences next week but Yooper's got most of'em already named & shown from what I've seen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts