AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this M44. On inspection the rifle looks pretty good. I spent an hour running the snake through the barell followed up with patches. They came out just BLACK - each time. The barell needs help. What is the strongest solution to put down that barell to help?

·
Registered
551 Posts
hmm....

I would just try to soak it in liberal amounts of hoppes, let it sit for about 15 minutes after the soaking and then get out a bronze brush and start scrubbing. I had to do this with my 91/30 and my k98 after receiving them from AIM. Took more than one day, that's about all I can say. :neutral:

eventually though, both bores came out smooth looking and shiny, but took a lot of elbow grease.

Another option I've heard that works better is using steel wool around a brush, it's supposed to help polish up rough spots in the bore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i went in the tub with soap and water and scrubbed it. i read somewhere that soapy water is the thing to use for corrosive ammo. worked for me. just clean, dry, dry, dry, lube. should be good. i have heard of people using Easy off oven cleaner on BAD yugo barrels.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Get Outers foaming bore cleaner. Spray it in the barrel untill it foams out the other end. Watch TV or whatever for 10-15 minuites. Then push a phosphourous-bronze brush with a patch on it thru the barrel. If the foam is blue, keep using it untill it comes out white or light blue. Then, use a polish like M.A.A.S. or Flitz on the bore brush, "short stroking" it (basically pulling it back and forth through the barrel) and follow each patch with polish by 2 clean patches. After it starts looking clean, use Hoppes lubricating/protectant oil or some other preservative. The patches should come out with a little black... follow each oiled patch by 2 dry patches untill it comes out reasonably clean. Follow by another dry patch and be proud.

You might also want to polish the chamber. This is done with a .410 phosphourous-bronze brush, a section of a cheap alumium cleaning rod, a drill, and polish. Run the brush in the chamber with a patch of polish for 30 seconds, running the drill in both directions. Then run the drill for a few seconds in the chamber with a clean patch. Alternate between patches with polish and patches that are dry until the patches come out reasonably clean. This polishing prevents the bolt from sticking with laquer coated ammunition, and makes the bolt easier to open after firing a shot.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Blue wonder seems to work good. I had a mauser that sat for 5 years after shooting corrosive ammo. It took out all the rust. Still had alot of pitting but nothing can take that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts