AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was lucky enough to be able to grab up one of the No. 5 Enfields (AKA Jungle Carbine) that AIM Surplus had recently. Wanted to show off.... so here this thread is.....

I've previously observed that AIM Surplus consistently reports the condition of weapons accurately and prices fairly. And having wanted a Jungle Carbine for some time,when I saw No. 5's on AIM's website I reached for the poor distressed credit card without hesitation.

They shipped promptly, and packaged the weapon well. The carbine is in overall great shape. Some were described as having the rubber buttpads badly deteriorated, but the one on my No. 5 is in great shape. A big Thanks to AIM Surplus!

I ordered and received a 1944 ROF.

The strange double stamping/marking makes it somewhat difficult to make out.....

Next it was time to accessorize.

IMA (International Military Antiques)has original No. 5 Action Covers and replica No. 5 Bayonets.

The action cover I received appears tobe from 1952, and is in fine shape. Possibly unissued – just 61years old.

I used a picture of a similar action cover in the excellent reference “Khaki Drill and Jungle Green”and some common sense to figure out how to mount the cover on the No.5.

It makes sense that the oval shaped reinforcement should be centered over the sharpest, most abrasive part of the action – the rear sight.

I was pleasantly surprised with the replica bayonet from IMA.

It is fairly unobtrusively marked made in India. The fit and finish is actually pretty good. All metalappears to be blued. (Uncertain what the correct finish should be.) And it actually fits on the weapon. (Own a 1903 replica bayonet from IMA that took a fair chunk of machining to sort of make fit on a Springfield.) It's got just a little wiggle when mounted – but am unsure if the originals didn't too.

Sarco Inc has what may or may not be the same repro bayonets for cheaper -
Edged Weapons ~ Bayonets & Scabbards
But they are out of stock.

Next – to find a green Enfield sling.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Sweet! I really wanted to jump on one, but finding good Milsurp .303 is really hard these days. When are you heading out to the range?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats nice! I have one on the way but its a local deal. An older import cant wait to get it
Ah, I almost forgot the best part. The import marks are really discrete - under the barrel. Hate the billboard import markings.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! I really wanted to jump on one, but finding good Milsurp .303 is really hard these days. When are you heading out to the range?
Soon I hope.

I hit the range last week with my AR and 308 VEPR (16 ".) I'm eager (anxious?) to see if the No. 5 is as "exciting" to shoot as the 16" VEPR.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a sweet rifle man. A good Enfield is pretty much the only thing missing from my little WW2 Bolt action collection I got going of all the major powers.
Thanks! I'm trying to find a nice wire wrapped Enfield. And of course a grenade launching muzzle attachment. I will then proceed to launch numerous tennis balls downrange ;)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sarge, I've always meant to say this, you are a man after my own heart. At least when it comes to firearms and militaria. I don't consider myself a hardcore collector, but I do like to have some examples of period equipment to go with my firearms. You always have nice setups of your collection and you take nice pictures. The picture taking part is where I'm lacking. No suitable space in this house. Don't want to go outside because I can't be certain who might see in this town (and you don't want certain elements in this town to know you have firearms).

Nice display, although you need genuine accessories and you need some Pattern 37 equipment to go with it, not the new stuff! Check out Liberty Tree Collectors, they have nice period stuff for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Where did you get the action cover? Never seen one of those. Nice rifle. Finally found mine about a year ago. I'll have to post some pics. In excellent condition.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sarge, I've always meant to say this, you are a man after my own heart. At least when it comes to firearms and militaria. I don't consider myself a hardcore collector, but I do like to have some examples of period equipment to go with my firearms. You always have nice setups of your collection and you take nice pictures. The picture taking part is where I'm lacking. No suitable space in this house. Don't want to go outside because I can't be certain who might see in this town (and you don't want certain elements in this town to know you have firearms).

Nice display, although you need genuine accessories and you need some Pattern 37 equipment to go with it, not the new stuff! Check out Liberty Tree Collectors, they have nice period stuff for a decent price.
Thanks Brother. I appreciate it.

I do like to have the right cleaning kit, sling, bayonet, etc for a weapon. For many rifles I do also try and collect a uniform or other associated equipment or battle rattle. And I do try and put together and take a decent photo.

I feel your pain on the difficulties of shooting good pictures if you don't have a private yard or some such. Most of my pictures are taken at a house with a nice deserted back yard. I find being outside and using slightly indirect light yields the best results for me. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the pictures above of the No. 5. I have this carbine at a little apartment (long story) and I had to take the pictures inside with as much light as I could drum up from lamps, etc., for exactly the security reasons you mentioned. The results are kinda meh... and blurry. (I refuse to use flash.... it always looks like ass to me.)

I do need some Commonwealth Jungle Green kit to go with the No. 5. But it's kinda rarer stuff. I do think the Rifles Blouse is cool if not terrible appropriate ..... There can't be too much British multicam in the country yet....

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Outside pics on an overcast day seem to wrk best for the most detail. Sun pictures can be tricky, but if done right can really bring out the grain of wood.
I love good pics of firearms with related gear...uniforms, cleaning kits, personal papers, equipment etc.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Did you clean/strip, or mess with the wood in any way? Mine is much darker than yours. It might clean up, but haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you clean/strip, or mess with the wood in any way? Mine is much darker than yours. It might clean up, but haven't tried yet.
Didn't touch the wood. Probably not going to.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

With some family members. No. 1 MK III, No. 5, and an Ishapor.

Guy that crashed the photo shoot.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts