AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range yesterday and blasted off 1900rnds of ammo at various steel swingers and paper targets out to 300yds... Only thing I forgot was the camera...doh!

SLR-106FR -- 300rnds of Wolf 55gr out of various 1st and 2nd gen black 30rnd bulgy mags and clear 20 and 30rnd mags. Zero problems.

SAM-7SF -- One FTFeed out of 200rnds. First stoppage ever with this rifle...Was due to a Wolf HP round that was mangled. I noticed it while I was loading it in the mag. I cleared the round and handfed it into the chamber. Worked fine.

SAS-7 Underfolder -- Zero problems out of 200rnds.

Springfield Armory M1A NM "preban" -- Zero Malfunctions out of 300rnds. Ammo was 1991 Chinese copper wash. Accuracy was surprisingly good as well with this ammo. Mags were a SA mag and a T-57 mag.

HK-91 (factory HK rifle) -- Zero malfunctions out of 200rnds. As usual the recoil was more harsh than the smooth M1A and noticable after 200rnds but not unbearable. Accuracy was equal to the M1A. Mags were 20rnd Aluminum HK...all new.

Colt AR-15 LE6920 -- 300rnds Wolf 55gr. Zero malfunctions but one failure of the trigger to reset while bumpfiring the last mag of the day. Mags were 30rnd and 20rnd USGI.

Mauser 98K RC -- 380rnds of Romanian LPS steel case. No problems hitting 300yd steel gong (12") with irons.

I wish I remembered the camera but damn 6 hours of cleaning sucks.....

CMS

ETA...I can however post a pic of my black and blue bruised shoulder from the 400rnds of 8x57...ouch.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Sounds like a great time. :thumbsup:

I'd give priority to cleaning that M1A, especially if it has a NM non chrome lined barrel on it.

I saw a guy ruin the barrel on a NM M1A after shooting some of the Chinese ammo in it "just for fun", and threw it in the closet for a month.

There was fuzzy rust in his barrel when he pulled it back out........... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Templar said:
Sounds like a great time. :thumbsup:

I'd give priority to cleaning that M1A, especially if it has a NM non chrome lined barrel on it.

I saw a guy ruin the barrel on a NM M1A after shooting some of the Chinese ammo in it "just for fun", and threw it in the closet for a month.

There was fuzzy rust in his barrel when he pulled it back out........... :eek:
Already cleaned. I've confirmed that the ammo isn't corrosive but I cleaned all of them right after I got back yesterday. To tell you the truth I think it is chrome lined. Not positive about it's history though. It's got NM sights but I'm not sure what the NM barrel contour is and how it differs from standard USGI. It's glass bedded though and shoots like a dream. The NM rear sight is marked BM-59 as in Beretta BM-59 but I'm told that a hodge podge of parts were used to build the earlier M1A's that used USGI parts. Maybe you can shed some light on that Templar.

CMS

·
Banned
1,618 Posts
So tell em more about your 106FR... thoughts so far?

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the SLR-106FR... well here it goes.

Overall it's the same quality as my SLR-105. I love the AK-100 sidefolder. I actually purchased a Russian pattern AK-100 stock from Andrie with plans on converting my SLR-105 but I decided against that and instead sold it off after I got the 106. I want soviet AK-74 Laminate for the 105... :twisted: I also have a Bulgy AKS triangle sidefolder for the 106 but no US brake so I have to remove the Bulgy brake when I use it. I'm looking into a quality US brake with half moon or zigzag cuts. I must have been one of the lucky ones. Mine is a early example that I bought soon after they were available but I have no cant problems what so ever. Mine has the polished cut in the chamber face as well that some lack so feeding has been a non-issue. Accuracy is up to par with my Colt AR as far as I can tell... about 1.5" - 2" groups at 100 with 75gr Lancer OTM (same as TAP). Feeds wolf, WWB, Lancer, Olympic SS109 :confused: , and everything else fine. The Oly is so out of spec it won't feed in the AR. The place I've bought it from uses the Olympic imported ammo during PD Demos out of their SAW M249 with no problems and surprisingly enough the SLR-106FR feeds it like a charm. The rifle is very comfortable to shoot, although that's not saying too much because I hate the NATO length stock on my SLR-105 and the stocks on my SAS-7 and SAM-7 SF leave some to be desired. The trigger wasn't hard to get used to as I prefer two stage triggers anyhow. Rapid fire drills prove that the 106 almost as tame as the 5.45 out of the SLR-105 but has a bit more push. Still...it's very controlable. My actual zero is quite close to mechanical zero so no complaints there and no goofy front sight post almost touching either of the ears on the front sight. The finish seems a little tougher than on the 105...but I'm not brave enough to take a solvent to it to find out. I stick with CLP when cleaning and lubricating all of my Arsenal rifles. Every few thousand rounds I'll very carefully run solvent down the barrel...but that's it. CLP cleans off all the powder left in the rifle with no problems. I bought the model with the scope mount. Why I don't know as I stick with irons on all of my AK's but I guess it's nice to know it's there. Overall it's reliability has been great. Maybe 2 or 3 failure to feeds where the round gets hung on on the chamber face out of what is probably pushing 2K rounds now. To some that's alot for an AK. I dont' put mine through typical "range" conditions though...I work them hard and dirty. Of course they all get a nice cleaning after each use. I hope this helps and isn't just a bunch of rambling...it's almost 4 AM and I've got stomach problems that keep me up all night sometimes so it looks like another night of browsing the forums for me... :neutral:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
About the M1A hodgepodge.....

The rear sights on the M1 Garand and the M14 were the only parts interchangeable between the two rifles. Garand sights are marked in yards, M14's in meters. The Bereta BM-59 is basically a modified Garand, the rear sights also interchange with M1 Garands and M14's.

Reese imported BM-59's back in the day, and the parts for them too. When he was assembling M1A's, he wasn't too picky about rear sights.

I had an older M1A that came with early WWII "lockbar" sights from a Garand.....

When you pull the op rod back, what are the markings on the barrel?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Re: 1900 rnd Range Report...includes SLR-106, SAM-7SF, SAS-7

cms81586 said:

Mauser 98K RC -- 380rnds of Romanian LPS steel case. No problems hitting 300yd steel gong (12") with irons.
Theres probably alot of 98K's that didn't see that much action in the war(s)

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't find any markings on the barrel at all. I recall seing a date or something when I had it tore apart last but I don't see anything right now.

CMS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Templar said:
About the M1A hodgepodge.....

The rear sights on the M1 Garand and the M14 were the only parts interchangeable between the two rifles.
My memory fails me, but about seven or eight parts can interchange tween the two. Safeties, for one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lies, lies, lies.

I've read more than enough gun forums to know that:

1) T57 mags don't work...
2) AR15's won't run on Wolf...
3) .223 is unreliable in an AK type rifle...
4) Chinese .308win will blow up your gun...

:smile:

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...LoL ... I know I know... I must be blessed. The Chinese is VERY hot though... alot more than Aussie F4 Ball...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts