Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .17 Mach2

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking it around for a while to get one of these rifles. Which one would you pick- .17hmr or .17 mach 2?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
.17 Remington... :twisted:

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
446 Posts
i think the ammo runs close in price for the two calibers but the hmr has to have about twice the snuff as the mach2.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It all depends what you plan on doing with the caliber. mach 2 is alot quieter than the hmr. Also collateral damage is less. so if your hunting bunnys or squrrels at anything less than 100 yards id get a mach 2

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
mach 2

Why get a mach 2 when you can get an HMR? Its like I want the same bullet just a little less power...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I plan on building a 10/22 into a Mach 2 as well as building a Charger pistol in the same caliber. I've shot both calibers. My dad has a 17 HMR and it's a shooter without a doubt. The Mach 2 is just as accurate out to 100yds and the ammo is cheaper. It would also be a cheaper gun to build since you would be starting with a 22LR instead of a 22 mag rifle as a base...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a couple of each, but the HM2 gets most of the shooting. They are both very accurate, but I limit the M2 to 100 yards. The HMR stretches that out to 150. As noted above the HMR is to destructive for hunting, and I don't shoot squirrels or bunnies in that 100 to 150 yard range so the HM2 is more appropriate for my hunting. You can get HM2 online for 4$ a box, HMR12-14$ a box. For plinking, stick with the .22.
You really need both. You can take larger animals with the HMR using a 20 grain bullet that is not available in the HM2, but really the shorter round is plenty fast and accurate for 90% of my subcaliber rimfire hunting use.
Addict

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
17 HMR all the way. If you were stuck with a 10/22 platform then I would concede that the machII would be an option, but if I had to choose between 17mach2 or a good HV .22, .22 here I come.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
HMR

I hurried out and grabbed one of those Marlin 17 HMR's and hate the way the magazine inserts. Should have done my homework and bought a Savage :neutral: Those were the two main types in circulation when I bought mine so...... 17 HMR for more of a predator type hunt, 10/22 for tree chickens. Nah I'm lazy 20 ga. single shot :grin:

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I have a Savage 17HMR, I like the way it shoots but last year I shot a coyote with it and he acted as if he had been stung by a bee and ran off never to be seen again.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
AK shooter said:
I have a Savage 17HMR, I like the way it shoots but last year I shot a coyote with it and he acted as if he had been stung by a bee and ran off never to be seen again.
Well I have heard stories like that before, taken one with the .17 HMR Vmax myself. .223 is really my preference. Alot of people still would rather stay with the .22 mag... That coyote you shot most likely became dinner for some animal. I need to take more coyotes with mine to decide for myself its lethality.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I think the 17 HMR is too small for something as big as a coyote. If I hunted them I would use my 223 it hits them like a hammer.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
On coyotes, I wouldn't attempt to use anythong other than the 20gr Gamepoints. You will get much better penetration compared to the 17gr Vmax.

·
Registered
902 Posts
AK shooter said:
I think the 17 HMR is too small for something as big as a coyote. If I hunted them I would use my 223 it hits them like a hammer.
BUT in some areas you can only use a rimfire, not centerfire like a .223 is.

I guess it will depend on your use. I personally have a .22lr for plinking and fun and a .22 magnum for hunting. my dad has a marlin .17 hmr and like people said, its like a freakin lazer.

Oh another thing.. Sucks the hmr ha only lil ballistic tips. the .22 mag for squirrels I use fmj, and anything larger some sorta BT or HP's.
Do they make a fmj hmr?

Check this video out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5zfHDfesl1U&feature=related

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They make 20gr FMJs for the HMR and 20gr Gamepoints, 17gr Hollow points and 17gr Vmax

·
Registered
555 Posts
So, is there a compelling reason to get 1 of these 2 instead of .22lr/.22mag?

I've seen them in stores and stuff, never seen one fired.

·
Registered
902 Posts
melbr00ks said:

thats the great debate!! It all depends what your hunting with it. Pick the right round to get the job done. paper punching, id stick to .22lr

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
melbr00ks said:

The only reason I have the Savage 17HMR is because I won it at a Friends of the NRA meeting last year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts