AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
That's nothing; in Arizona, they find three times the weapons and six times the ammo when someone dies.

Reactions: sniper48

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Two tons of ammo is not all that much - roughly 66 crates.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Sickening story. LAPD takes the guns when they seem to be legal and the man had no criminal history. Surely they will all be destroyed along with the ammo leaving the mans next of kin empty handed and more than likely not compensated for it.

So what's that, legal burglary?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sickening story. LAPD takes the guns when they seem to be legal and the man had no criminal history. Surely they will all be destroyed along with the ammo leaving the mans next of kin empty handed and more than likely not compensated for it.

So what's that, legal burglary?
This was my biggest problem with the story. The poor guy's dead and the LAPD is just concerned with taking all his property away. If they cleaned out someone's TVs, computers, etc. the general public would flip out, but because they're guns they seem to be fine with it. It's disturbing to say the least.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Seizure laws (aka forfeiture) are some of the worst laws on the books. police literally charge the property with a crime (not the person) and take it to court to seize it. Like State v $5200. They do this because it is much harder to charge a person and take their property vs charging the property itself (and they have a 99% win-rate). You do not even have to be convicted of anything for cops to take your stuff. grandma gives you $1000 in cash for college graduation....cops can take that if they pull you over and you do not have documentation on exactly where that money came from.

·
Banned
339 Posts
This was my biggest problem with the story. The poor guy's dead and the LAPD is just concerned with taking all his property away. If they cleaned out someone's TVs, computers, etc. the general public would flip out, but because they're guns they seem to be fine with it. It's disturbing to say the least.
Don't worry, police in some jurisdictions have seized high end audio/video gear in similar circumstances to make sure they were not "stolen".

I agree with both you and 22many and will add the other part that bothers me just as much is the lack of respect of someone else's property clearly shown here. Guns just tossed in piles. Some jurisdictions are pretty good in handling non seizure firearms placing them in individual evidence boxes until release. Other jurisdictions not.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Investigators seized the ammunition and will run background checks on the firearms to determine whether they were used in any crimes.

"We don't think the weapons are illegal; we are taking them for public safety," Craig said, adding that it was a preemptive step to ensure the ammunition or guns wouldn't be stolen from the home.
So they stole the guns to make sure they didn't get stolen? Sounds like fear of competition.

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
Makes me fucking sick...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Im wondering if the guy was a FFL or former FFL who closed down his shop and had his inventory stored at his home. I had a former job that had that happen to. FFL lost his licence and took all the inventory home. Report said lots of the guns were in boxes with price tags attached still. Probably had a medical issue on the way home and pulled over and died in his car...I can see taking the weapons for safety as there is nothing in the story about a wife of kids so sounds like he was alone there. As long as the PD gives the weapons to his family if they turn out to be legally owned in the end.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Im wondering if the guy was a FFL or former FFL who closed down his shop and had his inventory stored at his home. I had a former job that had that happen to. FFL lost his licence and took all the inventory home. Report said lots of the guns were in boxes with price tags attached still. Probably had a medical issue on the way home and pulled over and died in his car...I can see taking the weapons for safety as there is nothing in the story about a wife of kids so sounds like he was alone there. As long as the PD gives the weapons to his family if they turn out to be legally owned in the end.
Nope, if you watch the KTLA video feed there was a registered female homeowner and in the interview with a neighbor he speaks of a collective "they" so apparently he wasn't living alone.
it's altogether possible his wife/girlfriend voluntarily turned the stash over to the police, we just don't know.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
That's just plain wrong. Maybe they will help themselves to some towels and a bathrobe while they are searching his house.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Lets play estimate the haul. If we go with 70 cases of ammo at an average of $0.40 a round that's $28000. If there were 1200 guns at an average of $700 that's another $840,000. Bracketing this the collection could be worth $750,000 to $1,000,000. His next of kin better lawyer up.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Lets play estimate the haul. If we go with 70 cases of ammo at an average of $0.40 a round that's $28000. If there were 1200 guns at an average of $700 that's another $840,000. Bracketing this the collection could be worth $750,000 to $1,000,000. His next of kin better lawyer up.
Nice one endoh!

Personally, I'd be suprised if the LAPD gave any of the weapons back. The ammo they will clearly justify as "illegal" because it's lead and the guns?...they werent registered with the state of California so those are now "illegal".

Your right, family better lawyer up and hope they sue the shit out of the LAPD and the state of california!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The ammo they will clearly justify as "illegal" because it's lead
There's no such law preventing the ownership of ammunition with lead in it.

and the guns?...they werent registered with the state of California so those are now "illegal".
There's no requirement to register guns purchased prior to the date that registration was enacted, with the exception of named "Assault Weapons".

The conjecture above is cute, but as long as the family gets lawyers involved, this is going to end in tears for the LAPD.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Whats sad is when Brainwarshed Great Grandkids or Hippie Nephew or Nieces cant stand Firearms and they somehow someway remove the collection from the pipeline ...

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
There's no such law preventing the ownership of ammunition with lead in it.

Correct. But the LAPD/state isn't gonna release something that is outlawed.

There's no requirement to register guns purchased prior to the date that registration was enacted, with the exception of named "Assault Weapons".

Yeah. Isn't that a 50 I see in the pic? Last I looked they were outlawed in the state of Cali. Also, ever try to get any kind of guns back from a anti gun organization in a antigun state?
I'd be surprised if the family got any of them back. With the anti gun thinking and tactics the state of California has shown so far, good luck.

There are plenty of examples online about people getting their gun stolen, police recovering it, and then being told that the police won't release it because they "don't want to put another gun on the streets". In the end...the owner gets shafted.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts