AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep seeing little bits here and there about these 10,000 ak 74 kits that are suppose to be imported, I just was looking for some more info on these to see if it would be a good idea to start saving for one. Are they going to have barrels? Also if I bought one of the bulgy 5.56 barrels from copes could it be made to work with the kit?

·
Registered
512 Posts
They are supposed to be coming in September, several different vendors have verified they are on their way. They won't come with original barrels because of the barrel ban, but the word on the street is they will be coming with US made Wilson barrels. That last part I have only heard from one vendor and I can't say whether it is entirely valid information. We'll just have to see.

They are still in the importation process so nobody really knows when they'll be here or what to expect.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
100 Round Drum said:
that completly sucks that the chrome lined barrels won't be included. MF-ing legislators :evil:
Wasn't Congress that did this, at least not the current one. It's a BATFE reinterpretation of the 1968 GCA that covers imporation of "sporting weapons".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are original Bulgarian Barrels cold-hammer forged? If so I doubt the US made barrels will be though I doubt many decent US barrel manufacturers aren't at least selling chrome lined barrels, especially for an AK.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Kotus said:
Are original Bulgarian Barrels cold-hammer forged? If so I doubt the US made barrels will be though I doubt many decent US barrel manufacturers aren't at least selling chrome lined barrels, especially for an AK.
Bulgarian barrels are cold hammer forged.

The US barrels would be typical cut rifling.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I bought a 5.56 ak barrel from copes, would it be possible to use the barrel in conjunction with these kits, (I know theres more involved than just putting on the new barrel) - i would be having it built, not a home job- as I want to do an loose ak101 or 102 clone.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
drummerdude1188 said:
So if I bought a 5.56 ak barrel from copes, would it be possible to use the barrel in conjunction with these kits, (I know theres more involved than just putting on the new barrel) - i would be having it built, not a home job- as I want to do an loose ak101 or 102 clone.
Bulgarian 5.56 barrels have a 23mm chamber end. 5.45x39 AK-74 rifles use a 22mm trunnion.

Would have to turn the 5.56 chamber end down to 22mm or get a 23mm AKM trunnion.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hootbro said:
drummerdude1188 said:
Bulgarian 5.56 barrels have a 23mm chamber end. 5.45x39 AK-74 rifles use a 22mm trunnion.

Would have to turn the 5.56 chamber end down to 22mm or get a 23mm AKM trunnion.
like this ? http://www.akparts.com/index.htm?975.htm&1

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
i HEARD, dont take it as truth, but i heard that the us barrels are going over to bulgaria to be chrome lined. i am saving up for a few kits. the x39's will be available i think for a while, but the 5.45's i dont think will be around too long importing wise. i could be wrong though, but with the political situation, and the ever increasing assholeness from the ATF, imports may stop soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
catsailer40 said:
i HEARD, dont take it as truth, but i heard that the us barrels are going over to bulgaria to be chrome lined. i am saving up for a few kits. the x39's will be available i think for a while, but the 5.45's i dont think will be around too long importing wise. i could be wrong though, but with the political situation, and the ever increasing assholeness from the ATF, imports may stop soon.
:neutral: Wilson can make any barrel you want and line them with
cream filling if necessary. :wink:

http://www.wilsonarms.com/facility.htm

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
This is what WILL happen. I know this first hand.
10K of Bulgy kits, no barrels.
Wilson chrome lined barrels.

So, If I were you guys, I would quit paying these high prices that we are seeing now. The famine is almost over. It will be time to feast again.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Indiansprings said:
This is what WILL happen. I know this first hand.
Wilson chrome lined barrels.
Are they going to be "real" 5.45-caliber barrels, and not .223 like we've seen with the Century Tantals?

Are there going to be additional MAGAZINES imported with these kits? Damn, I hope so, or else prices are going to get even worse with 10,000 potential new rifles needing to be fed and no increase in the mag supply...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't do a pre-order ! Let the market and other dealers go to work. Prices will come down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts