AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo!

My SLR-106UR arrived at my FFL's shop today, and I'm grinnin' like a jackass eatin' briars!

It's in awesome shape, and the previous owner took excellent care of it.

Edit: Took the rifle to the range this afternoon, and it was a total fucking disaster. I was unable to finish even one magazine without FTE and double feeds. It went from 3-5 MRBF to zero (!) rounds between failures. I am not believing this shit out of a $1,000.00 rifle! It even choked on Hornady TAP FPD. I emailed Arsenal, but I ain't expecting much out of them. I will also be in contact with the previous owner about this. I'm so fucking pissed off right now I could just about throw up.

Looks like this was $1,085.00 up a wild hog's ass! :mad:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Excellent :smile:

Today is a great day for the AK :wink:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: She's here! She's here!

doubleclaw said:
...I'm grinnin' like a jackass eatin' briars!
Classic!!!

Thats up there with:

"Thats's slicker then snot on a wet rain coat!" :lol:

...[zombie]Pic's[/zombie]

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
donde estan las fotografias?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GAH! It just gets better! :mad:

I stripped it down to clean it, and a piece of the hindmost rivet out of the rear sight housing has sheared off the top cover! it just dropped out of the magazine well as I was setting it down on the table to start cleaning it.

WHAT the FUCK?! :evil:

This just makes me wonder what the hell I have to look forward to wth the 106FR I have on the way next week!

This is just great. :mad:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The feed problem can be fixed. I know you dont wanna do that to a just purchased rifle, but it happens. Unless the previous owner will remedy
it, of course.

About the rivet. Damn, I dont know, got any pics availible? Or was it
the cover missing a peice?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The seller could of at least bought you dinner first. :lol:

But seriously, I have heard of some feeding issues with Arsenal .223 rifles, but never any failure to extract issues. Maybe it's the extractor. :neutral:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I've calmed down a bit, and here's what it was doing at the range:

It would fire a round and fail to extract the fired case. The bolt would then push the next round into the face of the barrel, under the protruding end of the stuck case, jamming the unfired projectile down into its case.

Sometimes, it would fire the round, eject the case and TWO rounds would try to crowd their way into the chamber.

It did this intermittently until the rifle got hot, then it started doing it every other round and then every round.

It would run a few rounds after it cooled off, but as soon as it got hot again, it started jamming.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As you can see, the cases are stuck partially out of the chamber, and the rims are damaged where the extractor rode over them.

In each instance, I had to drop the mag, retract the bolt, clear the feedway and then re-close the bolt on the stuck case. Once the extractor engaged the case, it could not be extracted as normal; I had to grab the charging handle, and rap the buttstock on the bench to get the cases out. It did this every time it FTE'd.

I can't help but think that maybe the chamber is undersized, or it might have a burr of irregularity in it that's hanging these cases up. Whatever it is, it's pretty tough, because it was hanging up those black nickel plated Hornady cases just as bad as it did the Wolf steel cased stuff.

I'm stumped, but this is fucking ridiculous for a rifle that costs this much!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am now looking at all my fired cases from today, and all the brass cases are showing signs of excessive pressure; primers bulging, firing pin hole impressions, bolt face impressions and blow-by at the case mouth.

Some of them have some kind of black spots around the shoulder and case mouth, don't know what it could be. Paint flakes or shavings from the K-Var 30 rounders, maybe?

About a 3/8" down from the shoulder, some of them are showing a scrape mark going across the body of the case, no clue there, either.

This is just a guess, but could it be that the projectiles are getting pushed back into the cases during feeding, and then expanding under pressure in the chamber when fired, sticking to the chamber walls?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hate to see a man lose money on this kind of deal so I'm willing to lessen the pain for you. I'll give you $450 for it. :wink: How's that sound?

Sorry to hear it isn't working right. If you can't get it straightened out with the seller, contact Scott at Gander Mountain. He can fix it.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
That really does suck. The seller had to know the rifle wasn't right.

If you're going to keep it, give Arsenal a call, let them know what it's doing, and they will make it right.

:neutral:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
5.56mm Kalashnikov variants are fickle at best and a disaster at worst.

If you have one that runs 100% then you are a lucky man - otherwise stick with the original two calibers.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts