AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Polish AKM built on a 1.6mm Armory USA receiver. I was going to put some Polish furniture on it - but of course it doesn't really fit, since the receiver is 0.6mm thicker then it's supposed. I could of course just grind down the wood, but I thought I'd check in on how difficult is it to grind down the receiver on the inside? Doesn't look that difficult, but I thought I'd check in with the community

· Registered
5,054 Posts
if it is 1.6, it means your trunnions have already been thinned, so you will have to stick with a 1.6 from here on out. might as well file the wood

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Krater said:
BigAL said:
Krater said:
Well, I definitely see where the consensus is going. Still - has anybody done it the other way?
Why would you want to thin the metal and make it weaker?
Most because I don't want to mess with the furniture and make it unusable on another gun.
Isn't hard to shim a stock or lower handguard.

· Banned
16,199 Posts
+1 trim the wood. It would be extremely difficult to properly remove .011" of metal from each inside of the receiver IMHO. It will turn into a hack job as there is no good access to do it with a proper cutting tool AFAIK.
What stock set is on the rifle now?
What are the chances you are going to swap out the furniture again? Unless the furniture on there now is funky you can sell the new Polish and fuggetaboutit. The take off stuff is pretty limited but can be shimmed or used on a Chinese or some use.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Krater said:
BigAL said:
Krater said:
Well, I definitely see where the consensus is going. Still - has anybody done it the other way?
Why would you want to thin the metal and make it weaker?
Most because I don't want to mess with the furniture and make it unusable on another gun.
The alternative is to mess with the receiver & make the gun unusable. LOL. Grind the wood, & leave the receiver alone. GARY N4KVE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.