Michigan -- what do you do for AK folders?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Michigan -- what do you do for AK folders?

OK so, I've read through and about the absence-of-logic SBR laws in Michigan (about regular rifles with federally legal 16" barrels but with evil folding/collapsible stocks), so I'm looking for some info regarding AK folders.

What do folks in the mitten and the yoop do with AK folders?

My guess is, solder on a muzzle device that brings the OAL to above 26" ? If so, what devices are out there for a normal 14x1 LH thread?

TIA.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times

Re: Michigan -- what do you do for AK folders?

It is somewhat confusing here. I have seen dealers selling them without soldered muzzle brakes as long as you register it as a pistol. I have a AKM folder and a AKS-74 and both have brakes fixed, just in case. Both are registered as pistols. When I took them in to complete the registration safety check (no longer have to do that now in Michigan) no one even bother to look at the breaks. Just wanted the serial number.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    69 times

The law doesn't state the brakes have to be perminately attached. Only if you're extending a barrel like on an AMD-65 for example does the brake have to be perm. installed. If your rifle has a 16 inch barrel but the overall length is less than 26 inches then you have to have an extender of some sort. For my under folders I had some longer slant brakes made up for me to put me past the 26'' mark.

With that said I have read about how people measure the overall length of the rifle, I've read that if you measure from the bottom of the pistol grip to the muzzle of an under folder that the length is 26 inches or more. I've always measured from the back of the receiver myself so thats why i had special brakes made up. They are a bit out of place for a purest such as myself but who really cares, a small hoop to jump through to own such a sexy version of an AK. I think Underfolders are the sexiest!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    82 times

Thanks MotorcityMan
    I love the folders too, here is mine.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Have you guys heard about the new law?

The new law defines a pistol as anything under 26" in length, where it was previously anything under 30".

So we don't have to register these folders as pistols anymore.

http://miafr.com/2012/10/23/summary-of- ... ition-law/

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Yugom5966
    Have you guys heard about the new law?

The new law defines a pistol as anything under 26" in length, where it was previously anything under 30".

So we don't have to register these folders as pistols anymore.

http://miafr.com/2012/10/23/summary-of- ... ition-law/
    that's great news!

thanks for posting that.

i wonder why we have not heard more about this? seems like a big improvement, IMO. from that link you posted it looks like it is in effect since jan 1.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

the only reason they got rid of it was it backfired on them when we got ccw, you can carry your rifle thats registered as a pistol loaded on you or in your car because its a pistol , i believe the law says measured from the two farthest points or something like that ,so i measure from muzzle to back/bottom of pistol grip
    now the state police say if your muzzle device is used for maximum length it has to be permanent and they have convinced alot of people and ffls that this is law but i dont remember the state police being give the authority to make state laws/lawful opinions etc but I'm nor a lawyer
    WTB laminate stocked russian sks and m38
    work is the scourge of the drinking class.Oscar wilde

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks, all.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about how any of the new laws passed, affected this stuff. I'm still a little confused though, so under 26" it is still a pistol but you don't have to register it.... so an AMD-65 that when folded measures under 26" overall, then is not actually considered an SBR and illegal? That is good news if true!!

Totally glad about the registration thing.

Two things from my research:

- ATF always measures barrel length based on the barrel itself - so a removeable/screw-on device on the muzzle doesn't count towards length. Only permanent devices count. Michigan milesage may vary... not sure if that is specifically called out in MI code.

- I found a letter, from a Firearms Dept officer from MI State Police, that details the correct way to measure is straight back along the line of the barrel bore, NOT to angle towards a pistol grip bottom etc. It goes straight back from muzzle to the aft end of a receiver/stock/etc.

I was planning on silver soldering devices that would make things over 26", but now it looks like I don't have to, and no registration so yee-haw.... maybe I actually will consider moving to Michigan one day.

Sponsors