How did transferable type 58 rifles come to US?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyb
  • 1 Post By Stottman
  • 2 Post By uao85

Thread: How did transferable type 58 rifles come to US?

Member #
    Liked
    190 times

How did transferable type 58 rifles come to US?

Just like the title says. I was able to handle and examine a type 58 recently that is part of an estate that is being sold. Real deal North Korean type 58 that is a registered and transferable machine gun. So how did they make it over? Vietnam war trophy? Korean war trophy? There isn't any paperwork available for the rifle itself. Only what it says on the stamp. Its also nearly all original, and isn't a reweld fwiw. Some little tidbits that I thought were unfortunate on the rifle. Had been stripped, polished and blued at one point. Some signs of old corrosion and pitting on the gun before refinish. Gas tube wasn't original, but was otherwise all matching. Was really surprised to see it pop up locally. Guy had a metric ton of cool stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Vietnam bring back most likely. If the original register is still alive, maybe they would be willing to talk. The one I have see in an Oklahoma museum was a Vietnam bring back.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1141 times
    Vietnam war trophy that was brought home then subsequently registered during the 1968 GCA Amnesty. A local museum has one that was given to the museum about 60 days after the amnesty period was over.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    Where is it being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by uao85 View Post
    Just like the title says. I was able to handle and examine a type 58 recently that is part of an estate that is being sold. Real deal North Korean type 58 that is a registered and transferable machine gun. So how did they make it over? Vietnam war trophy? Korean war trophy? There isn't any paperwork available for the rifle itself. Only what it says on the stamp. Its also nearly all original, and isn't a reweld fwiw. Some little tidbits that I thought were unfortunate on the rifle. Had been stripped, polished and blued at one point. Some signs of old corrosion and pitting on the gun before refinish. Gas tube wasn't original, but was otherwise all matching. Was really surprised to see it pop up locally. Guy had a metric ton of cool stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    5297 times
    Inside a duffel bag is my guess.
    Mullo98 likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1141 times
    Pre 1968 GCA did not regulate non functional weapons. Some AKs were brought back from Vietnam with an empty case brazed in the chamber. These were legal War Trophies until the GCA was passed. That was the main driver for the amnesty.

Probably more in duffle bags.
    Last edited by jithaca; 11-27-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Member #
    Liked
    3069 times
    I recall a couple being sold at auction for 30-50k

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2022 times
    Grading on a curve, the Type 58 is the 2nd most common "Bring back" AK from Vietnam. Anything other then a Type 58 or milled Type 56 is a rarity. I think I have seen one Polish wz.60 for sale over the years.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Thanks for the replies. Brain fart and realized the korean war was too early for a type 58 war trophy.

Very cool. Didnt realize they were so prevalent. The estate of these guns was a mess with some family members not divulging the needed paperwork that would give documentation to a lot of the items. Which meant a lot of legwork from the local shop to investigate and get stamp copies from the atf office.

They will pop up on gunbroker in the next couple of months. Instructions were specified in the will I believe.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    Grading on a curve, the Type 58 is the 2nd most common "Bring back" AK from Vietnam. Anything other then a Type 58 or milled Type 56 is a rarity. I think I have seen one Polish wz.60 for sale over the years.
    There was a Russian type 3 that was a vietnam war trophy that was auctioned off in the last year or two. Went for mid 50s.

Edit: There was some other really cool stuff in the estate as well. A bunch of transferable machine guns, crates and crates of ammo/mags etc. They will probably be sifting through it all for the next month or two. One of the neat items was a NIB Springfield m14. Factory machine gun that came straight from springfield and has a relatively low serial number. Not a conversion, but the real deal and has zero rounds through it. Was pretty neat.
    Last edited by uao85; 12-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Stottman and GeneStoner like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors