• 1 Post By davehal9000
  • 1 Post By Matt Savage
  • 1 Post By VASCAR2

Thread: Picked up a WASR 22 last night

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Picked up a WASR 22 last night

I found this WASR 22 locally and jumped on it. I also got the M&P 15-22 for my kids. I know the WASR's have a tendency to need a little work to run properly. This is the first one I've ever seen locally. I've been looking for years for one but I wasn't willing to pay $600+ gun broker prices when they pop up there. The guy I bought it from is the second owner, the original furniture had been spray painted black, so he put this set on it. He said the furniture is Russian, I found a (C) stamped into the buttstock. Not sure what that means. The rivets look good, it's as straight as you could hope for, little bit of front sight cant but not enough to matter. For you guys that have them, what ammo have you found to run the best? I've read they like the hotter ammo.
    Last edited by Matt Savage; 03-12-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    MPiKM-72, otus and Wyo Wolverine like this.
    AK's and HK's

Member #
    Liked
    7426 times
    Nice rifle!

The furniture does look like it could be Russian.

The longer .22LR magazine you have is a harder to find variant. Externally it uses the stamping of a Romanian 5.56mm magazine.

It has been a while since I fired mine, but I had decent results with CCI Blazer.

Mine does not like hollow point ammo, so I seek out round nose lead.

I recently obtained 40 grain Norma Tac-22 to try but haven't had time for shooting lately.

If yours has any issues Black Dog Machine has offered some fire control parts and magazines, though part availability has been sporadic.
    Matt Savage likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    Don't use hollow points.

Most of us smooth down the ramp into the chamber. Goes a long way in making them feed better.
    Matt Savage likes this.
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I'm planning on running a few different kinds of ammo through it tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered a few spare magazines and the basic upgrade package from BDM, the deluxe kit with the firing pin is out of stock. I took the wood furniture off and put on a US polymer set I had laying around. I think the Russian wood set will probably end up on a romy g I have.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    AK's and HK's

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Nice WASR 22! Iíve got an AKT-98 with original polymer furniture. Very fun gun but I bought mine as a parts gun where my Father in Law fabricated a new extractor. I tuned mine to run on 36 grain Federal Bulk HP ammo. The smaller nose seems to feed a little better compared to round nose bullets. I also tweeked the feed angle on my BDM bolt hold open followers to improve feeding. I also filled the gas piston hole with silicone. Let us know how your WASR 22 shoots. My AKT-98 is supprisingly accurate and I purchased the 10 round 22 LR mags which are the length of 20 round 7.62X39 mags.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-11-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Matt Savage likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Took the WASR 22 and a few other guns to the range yesterday. It fed 36 grain Armscor HP's just fine for the first mag, then it started having failures every few rounds. The day ended early for the WASR 22 when one of the Armscor rounds blew the rim off the cartridge which resulted in a round getting stuck halfway down the barrel. I opted to just put it away and shoot my romy g and other guns I brought.

The M&P 15-22 I picked up for my kids ran great except with the Armscor, same with the GSG-5. It was the last 1000 rounds of it that I had from the .22lr shortage a few years ago and I won't be buying anymore. Romy G ran like a scalded cat, just like a combloc AK is known to do.
    AK's and HK's

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors