AK Rifles banner

Official Turbothis bolt interest thread

5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  thunderstruck 
#1 · (Edited)
I approached Turbothis about having a bolt made. He's agreed to take on the project of making a run of WASR-22 bolts. He said he'd prefer to have funds generated by one of us. I'll take that on if the masses agree. No word on cost yet or timeframe. Just getting the ball rolling with his permission.

He said tbe run would be twenty bolts. Not sure how to go about reserving slots but i'll post whatever we get worked out.

Definite;
Davehal9000- 1 maybe 2
Veers57
Rob-cube
Otus
Gator Monroe- 1 maybe 2
Mobhs
Ttman
Becfa- 1 maybe 2
Eagle54- 2 maybe more
Marxdspot
Peacemaker23
Landser

Possible;
Tigerhawk
AZG
Hotbrass
Gladdis- 3x
Nathan- 1 maybe 2

See less See more
#9 ·
I sent Turbo my 10/22 and WASR-22 bolts a couple of years back so he no doubt has a game plan down on an improved model. We didn't discuss what he'd be building, a stock or improved version, but either version would work for me

#10 ·
This is probably an ignorant question, but will a WASR-22 bolt be drop-in, or is there a need to headspace? Is rimfire different than other AK bolts in this way?

If it's drop-in, I'm interested.

-otus

#11 · (Edited)
Otus, it's blowback so no headspacing needed. Should be plug-and-play.

If the new bolt was made just a tiny bit wider that'd be ideal. On my WASR, the center support/feedramp pushes the rails open too far and creates bolt slop... making manual ejection prone to failure. We're only talking maybe 1/32" on either side but this is the only issue I haven't been able to fix to my satisfaction. I only own one WASR-22 though, it may not be an endemic issue with them all.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Just curious if this will be a copy of the factory bolt or will this be a redesign? If I were able to design a new bolt I would try to eliminate the void around the recoil spring guide to inhibit spent brass getting into the action. A pinned extractor would also be desirable. Maybe a steel breach face and alloy body to save weight and cost, IDK but it would be fun to try different designs.

#26 ·
If I may advance a suggestion....if you/he/they are doing a run of bolts, might as well do a run of of ejector blocks and .22 cal AK barrels (to fit a std trunnion) too.
That way you can build your own with half an AK kit.
Obviously some design work there, but far more money making potential for the company doing it to have the whole package.
Otherwise you limit yourself to the existing no-bolt market, which is limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.