1923-35 Antique 24in Hand Saw Restoration/Cleanup
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RustySnake

Thread: 1923-35 Antique 24in Hand Saw Restoration/Cleanup

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    So keep this process can be used for old gun stocks and of course AK furniture that is unfinished. I think i will be doing my grandpas shotgun soon.

So long story short i got 5 hand saws of different types but mostly 22in-30in straight backs from my grandma just shortly before she sold the farm. They were all my grandpas he used on the farm and to build many houses, churches, barns, sheds, home furniture, ect. He was a Carpenter and later became and architect. He also ran a diary farm and had crops (corn, beans, alfalfa, wheat) Busy man.

So i have had them now for about 7 years or so and finally got around to restoring one for my mom to hang on the wall. (her dads saw) I started looking up the 2 that seemed the oldest and genuinely older then the other 3. This one i restored is a 1923-35 E.C. Atkins No.65 Silver Steel Hand Saw. Seen here on page 76 of the 1923 catalog. https://atkinssaws.blogspot.com/ The other i am doing next will be his 1953-55 Disston 22in straight back. (pics later) In doing research and chatting with my mom we both decided the E.C Atkins was prob my great grandfathers saw first then went to my grandpa later. Now mine, and yes i did use it the other day before i started cleaning it up

Real simple process here and honestly easy light work IMO. I started with removing the blade and soaking it in a vinegar bath wrapped in paper towel in the evening and overnight. The screws are brass and the medallion so gots to be easy on them. I sanded them with 600g then 1500g for shine. Then Nevr-Dull for clean, shine, and protect. I purposely DIDNT sand out all the nicks as to leave some of the (old beat up/used look) The medallion was still in great condition. Keep in mind this isnt a full restoration to be sold and used again, its going on the wall for looks and remembrance. Although it can be used no prob lol. So i woke up and the rust was removed or at least loosened up enough to rinse and scrub with the green side of the sponge. Next i used a wire wheel on my 12v drill and got any more of the pits cleaned up. Thought about sanding and polishing it with 600 then 1500 but deciding not to once i realized i had uncovered my grandpas engraving of his tax number and initials on the blade. Wiped with brake clean once then finished with Nevr-Dull again. Done

The handle took more love but still easy and simple lovin, and can be repeated easily on gun stocks. first i sprayed it (gently) with GoofOff remover. and whiped it down, then i sat for hours with a dental pick getting all the crud out of the rose petal design on the handle with the help of some spray from time to time. After all that i had some excess wood glue from previous repairs to the bottom horn to remove. I also removed the glue out of the crack and left it looking as is. Again a sign of use. I let the handle sit for about 30 min in front of a fan to dry out as much of the Goo remover as possible. This leaves the wood SUPER DRY and looking like shit. So i slapped on 3 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil to really bring out that patina. And bam...done.

Pics are on my Dropbox cause i literally am running internet speeds comparable to DSL in 2003.....
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wttiie8s8...31atAVGIa?dl=0
    Last edited by RustySnake; 06-26-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    Beautiful work OP. Keep it up.
    "The enemy will never see the backs of my Texans" - Gen. Robert E. Lee CSA

Member #
    Liked
    2243 times
    Loves me some old tool restoration.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Thanks guys, I did the blade on the Disston today. Handle will be done tommorow I hope

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors