Red Dawn - Deleted scene found - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Red Dawn - Deleted scene found

Member #
    Liked
    1635 times
    My uncle Louie Caruso was one of the 1st to deliver the Maadi to them in New Mexico.

He drove all night from Oregon when the stembridge movie rental place called desperately looking for them.

He had 10 on his shelf and they paid him a bone smoking 700 extra to have him drive there and back.

The CIA and cops stopped him when he left the set as they were asking him where he got his stuff.

Yeah...he still has the receipt and a thank you note from John Milnius.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeZulu View Post
    Another good 80's AK movie was "The Beast." Interesting story behind that film too. The writer actually went to A-stan during the Soviet occupation and linked up with the Muj to write about it all. They used real T-72's in the film too. Really accurate portrayal especially considering when it was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jEQchTqaKA
    Another classic that deserves more attention if not for the amount of different weapons they used in the film.

It was originally a play before it was a movie. It was filmed in Israel. They had all kinds of interesting props. Everything from muskets, Enfields, Type 2 AKs, to Israeli LB Fals. They used Ti-67 "Tiran" tanks though, which were Israeli captured T-55 tanks fitted with a 105mm main gun versus the 100mm among other mods. Dayle Dye who negotiated the purchase of the tanks was a consultant on the film. He may be better known for working on "Platoon" "BOB" and "Saving Private Ryan" etc.

I also find "The Beast" interesting for some of the actors involved like Steven Bauer (Scarface, Breaking Bad) and Jason Patric, I didn't realize he was in "The Lost Boys" until I watched it a couple of times.

Sorry for sidetracking your Red Dawn thread, MPiKM.
    MPiKM-72 and YankeeZulu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1635 times
    Dye also said it was one of the few films where you can see an actual RPG used.

Not this fake rocket bullshit..but the real rpg non explosive rounds.

Filming showed it being used many times.

1st time firing one showed to me that it has a kick to it.

MPiKM-72 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2090 times
    That's all pretty cool. Never knew any of that.

I dug around and found the article on the writer. Pretty bad-ass.----> https://warisboring.com/the-playwrig...and-the-beast/
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1106 times
    Do you remember the BBQ sauce trade thing I done on here? People traded local BBQ sauces the rest of the country knew nothing about. We need to fire that up again for summer time cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Red Dawn (1984). There was a copy of the movie being passed/shared around among members about a DECADE ago - lol.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    Another classic that deserves more attention if not for the amount of different weapons they used in the film.

It was originally a play before it was a movie. It was filmed in Israel. They had all kinds of interesting props. Everything from muskets, Enfields, Type 2 AKs, to Israeli LB Fals. They used Ti-67 "Tiran" tanks though, which were Israeli captured T-55 tanks fitted with a 105mm main gun versus the 100mm among other mods. Dayle Dye who negotiated the purchase of the tanks was a consultant on the film. He may be better known for working on "Platoon" "BOB" and "Saving Private Ryan" etc.

I also find "The Beast" interesting for some of the actors involved like Steven Bauer (Scarface, Breaking Bad) and Jason Patric, I didn't realize he was in "The Lost Boys" until I watched it a couple of times.
    I own a copy of The Beast - need to dig it out and rewatch it. The only thing about The Beast that I eyerolled was the bit where the knucklehead was drinking brake fluid since they didn't have vodka. I was like "how about a cup of petrol instead?"

I really liked Jason Patric's portrayal of Jim Bowie in "The Alamo".

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    Sorry for sidetracking your Red Dawn thread, MPiKM.
    LOL. "Well that escalated quickly..." No worries.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    6833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will36 View Post
    Do you remember the BBQ sauce trade thing I done on here? People traded local BBQ sauces the rest of the country knew nothing about. We need to fire that up again for summer time cooking.
    No - that one I don't recall.

I hardly ever eat BBQ. My new to me hunting lease might change that.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    6833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PRDUBI View Post
    My uncle Louie Caruso was one of the 1st to deliver the Maadi to them in New Mexico.

He drove all night from Oregon when the stembridge movie rental place called desperately looking for them.

He had 10 on his shelf and they paid him a bone smoking 700 extra to have him drive there and back.

The CIA and cops stopped him when he left the set as they were asking him where he got his stuff.

Yeah...he still has the receipt and a thank you note from John Milnius.

I'm tempted to send him a thank you note as well, not that it will mean as much.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2015 times
    In June 2011, I stopped in Las Vegas NM while driving from TX to Idaho. Found some of the movie locations.

I did try to look for more, but like the HS was built up and different.

P5302605.JPG
    Old hotel in Las Vegas, NM
    Scene of the final attack

Looking up towards where the 3 boys watched trains go through town... Ironically, on the other side of I-25
    P5302604.JPG

Painted sign in town. Was left after filming

P5302609.JPG
    Store from the movie
    P5302611.JPG

Main street. I assume that shell station was the former Chevron in the movie.
    P5302613.JPG

Member #
    A dark, ruined castle in Transylvania. Otherwise known as Mississippi
    Liked
    1029 times
    I actually never seen Red Dawn. Always wanted to check it out.
    Interested in Middle Eastern, South Asian and Yugoslavian AKs and gear. Only a woman can break his spell...

Member #
    Liked
    6833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    In June 2011, I stopped in Las Vegas NM while driving from TX to Idaho. Found some of the movie locations.

I did try to look for more, but like the HS was built up and different.

P5302605.JPG
    Old hotel in Las Vegas, NM
    Scene of the final attack

Looking up towards where the 3 boys watched trains go through town... Ironically, on the other side of I-25
    P5302604.JPG

Painted sign in town. Was left after filming

P5302609.JPG
    Store from the movie
    P5302611.JPG

Main street. I assume that shell station was the former Chevron in the movie.
    P5302613.JPG
    Thanks for posting that.

Some time ago someone went and toured most of the filming locations. I saved all of their pics, then the drive failed.

The coolest pictures were of the fuel station where the tank was pulling in to fuel up. The pumps were still there.

I've intended to visit Las Vegas, NM, but haven't made it yet.

In 2004 - when the internet was new to me - I printed maps to what google said was Calumet, CO since I was going to Boulder, CO to pick up a rust free classic truck bed I'd bought on ebay. I was too ignorant to realize the town Calumet was fictional. The google map put me in the sticks somewhere South of Walsenburg LOL. I learned about Las Vegas, NM later. It was just as well as the Raton Pass was frozen over at the time. I had fun trying.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 06-14-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1635 times
    My uncle Louie thinks a lot about it.... he was also one of the 1st to have the registered AK auto sears and he had about 20 of them I believed.

One day while at his shop at Valiant Firearms in Cottage Grove, Oregon, the ATF came in about 1987 or so, and they asked him about the registered AK auto sears, and he said yeah.....I have them.....well, they needed to be in an AK as the ruling got changed so they are checking if he had them installed.

He said and told them that they are at a gunsmith now and he is doing it.... and he is backed up......well they believed him and they gave him 30 days to show proof.

Turns out, he only had 3 or 4 installed in AK's.. mostly Chinese.....and some Maadis and some Valmets....no Hungarians..... so he scoured the SGN and called left and right to get some AKs in and he got some extra Chinese and found some Maadis and even some Yugo AK's later I believe.

He managed to shoehorn several of them into AK's before they came back again and they checked every one of them.

He couldn't find anymore and he had about 3 left that didn't find a home but he found AK's that day of their visit and just shoehorned into the receiver.

he actually glued it inside......they tested the action and they worked....until he did one where it wasn't glued very well and it fell out......

he lost 2 sears and had to give them up......he was sad but was only out about 300 bucks on them.

They also had to update the records that they are now married to those AK's with the receiver number on it.

Sold them all back in the early 90's after everyone got all coo coo ga ga over Rambo in the late 80's. Still saving some until the mid 90's and then went into posties as that was easier as he ran out of inventory only having HK sears and AUG sears and weirdo CR stuff until 2003 when he gave up his SOT.

But the Red Dawn is his most memorable and also doing a video on a news channel on how to get cans and machine guns... reporter sat down with him and they talked about it and the interview was fully aired in southern Oregon. That was good for business.
    MPiKM-72, Mullo98, Walleye and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullo98 View Post
    I actually never seen Red Dawn. Always wanted to check it out.
    Do check it out, because its not that bad of a movie, and is a snapshot of some of what people thought about in the 1980s. Also, check out "The Beast" as well if you get a chance.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    464 times
    The Beast movie is a good one.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2090 times
    It's one of the best movies to come out of the 80's that nobody really knows about.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors