Red Dawn - Deleted scene found - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Red Dawn - Deleted scene found

Member #
    Liked
    6253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 43m1garand View Post
    I have both. They are ok. I like Tom Clancy movies.

Attachment 265449

The Company is a good one. About the history of the CIA from the Cold War to the end of Soviet Union. It was a TNT miniseries. Has a section on the Hungarian Revolution.

Attachment 265451
    I really, really like The Company.

My quest for my numbers matching Hungarian M44 started after watching it. I need to remember to bring the DVD set to the hunting lease to show it to others. Also need to confirm zero on paper with PPU hunting ammo so the M44 can harvest communist swine again.
    43m1garand, maus45 and JeepFan like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Ahhh. Harvest Communist Swine. I like the way you think.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Who has the copy of the movie everyone on here was passing around?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will36 View Post
    I remember that thread from ages ago. No idea. That's like keeping up with Snap-On tools you loan out.

I figure everyone here born before Tito's death owned their own copy, except for Pookie and Arik.
    Arik likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    1274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will36 View Post
    copy of what movie?
    "Cause bitches don't like to be slapped on the cheek. Yugos need real men to shoot them who know how to hold them tight"
    -daefash

"Only a woman's glance strikes harder than an assault rifle."
    -
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Member #
    Liked
    6253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by njkalashnikov View Post
    copy of what movie?
    Red Dawn (1984). There was a copy of the movie being passed/shared around among members about a DECADE ago - lol.
    njkalashnikov likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    I'm going to revisit Red Dawn because I havent seen it since I was a child

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1896 times
    I think I may too. Pretty sure I have a copy of it somewhere in the collection.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I think the best scene in the movie was the first firefight in the National Park. When the girl shot the Russian SWINE in the back with a compound bow. That was Classic, he squealed like a pig. Then was finished off with a burst of AK fire.
    Gman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    I watched Red Dawn again for the first time in probably 25 years. I fell asleep on it from the National Park scene, until the helicopter scene where the dead chick had a grenade under her. To be fair, I fall asleep on everything unless it's new to me and super interesting. I tried...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Also a favorite movie of mine as a teenager

Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Quote Originally Posted by njkalashnikov View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I believe there is something WRONG with this picture if it is from Red Dawn. The weapon appears to be a Finnish Valmet M78 heavy barrel. I didn't realize the Finns were involved it this invasion. Why would the Russians or any other ComBloc forces be using Finnish weapons? Just one of many reality errors in this movie. After all that's what it is . just a fun move. Perhaps best experienced as a comedy?

Member #
    Liked
    6253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I believe there is something WRONG with this picture if it is from Red Dawn. The weapon appears to be a Finnish Valmet M78 heavy barrel. I didn't realize the Finns were involved it this invasion. Why would the Russians or any other ComBloc forces be using Finnish weapons? Just one of many reality errors in this movie. After all that's what it is ………. just a fun move. Perhaps best experienced as a comedy?
    It has to do with the timeline.

The only firearm that resembled an RPK that was available in the United States at the time of filiming (1983 & 1984) was the Finnish Valmet M78 heavy Barrel. I am still amazed they were able to find a top loading drum for it. Magazines like that were pretty much non-existant in the US. There was no real commbloc surplus market in the US - commbloc military items were state secrets for the most part. Owning something like an AK magazine was a huge deal in the early 1980's. I still remember how excited I was to obtain a ribbed AKM top cover - not rifle - just the top cover - before the Berlin Wall came down. I still have the cover - turned out to be from an AMD-65.

I believe in 1985 some Chinese semi-autos were available with a longer barrel - similar to an RPK.

Then in the early 1990's the Maadi RPM rifles appeared on the US market. Those scratched the itch for a while.

About 1994-1995 we start seeing Russian rifle parts coming in - I think it was 1995 when I bought my first Soviet RPK buttstock. I remember it was about $125 at the sellers table at a Houston Astrohall show. I had to borrow money from a buddy to get my hands on it. Owning real Russian laminate was a huge deal.

Then a tiny batch of original Soviet RPK kits with original barrels came in. Frenchy had one at one point - I still have pics. I don't know when those came in.

Then some original barrel Romanian kits came in.

Then around 2006 - 2008 the AES-10B manifested on the US market and glorious semi-auto RPK exploits began for US civilians en masse.

Heck, if it wasn't for Egypt they would have probably carried standard Valmet 7.62x39 rifles instead of Maadis. Maadis were the first AKM pattern rifle available on the civilian market. A friend's college roommate owned one circa 1982 - 1983. He said the only ammo available at the time was Lapua at $.75 per round.

That said, in 1983/1984 Valmet M78 was as good as it gets to mimic an RPK.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 06-14-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    Mr. B., Mullo98, Walleye and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I believe there is something WRONG with this picture if it is from Red Dawn. The weapon appears to be a Finnish Valmet M78 heavy barrel. I didn't realize the Finns were involved it this invasion. Why would the Russians or any other ComBloc forces be using Finnish weapons? Just one of many reality errors in this movie. After all that's what it is . just a fun move. Perhaps best experienced as a comedy?
    Couldn't get the real ones back then. You have 7.62 Madi made to look like AK74s. Just like they weren't really driving Soviet tanks!

There are a lot of look a likes and stand ins in this movie due to what was available.

Remember Alvin York shooting Germans with a Luger?
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
    I saw it at the Main Post movie theater at FT Bragg in '84 with 200 screaming paratroopers.

Great fun throwing popcorn at the screen. We found it hilarious. I hope no one really thought the Commies could ever pull off that kind of operation.
    I was there also at FT Bragg in 84 standing in line waiting to see it! At the time it was a good movie and the Russians were the bad guys. Your right about all the cheering especially in the theater.
    MPiKM-72 and btr like this.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors