Thinking about getting out of the sportbike scene...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Thinking about getting out of the sportbike scene...

Here lately I've had alot of scares from idiotic drivers that quit frankly don't sit well with me. I've counted and I've almost ended up t-boning 5 vehicles since I got my bike, two of them being this past month.

These aren't the only reasons though. I've been debating getting into the supermoto type bikes...I think I'd feel a little more comfortable on one with flicking it out of the way of a car versus my R6. Plus I'm way to tempted to break triple digits on my bike versus a supermoto will barely break triple digits. Plus everyone I talk to that has a supermoto bike picks them hands down over a sportbike for overall fun and easiness of throwing the bike out of the way of cagers. A couple of other reason that's making me question keeping my R6 is the fact I would like to finish my TRX250R build and finishing modifying my truck.

Sorry for the rambling and ranting but I'm torn because I've sunk so much money into my R6 that I'd be losing my ass if I sold it for current market value. I went through that on my Eclipse when I sold it to get my truck. I've sank nearly 12k into my bike between getting shafted on the purchase from the stealership and mods.

Any help on this matter? Any would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's a pic of my bike just so you know what I'm working with...

"Your freedoms are protected by my guns."

MOLON LABE!!!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Thinking about getting out of the sportbike scene...

Sweet bike. I know what you are saying here. I have had a few close ones on my ninja. I have been thinking of trading for a small rebel. Would slow me down and save gas.
    TheAKFORUM Member #590

Member #
    Liked
    1901 times

Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8303 times

I sold off all my bikes a few years ago but mainly cause I didn't have time to ride.

Want a Ural 2wd. Can get half way to triple digits! More fun off road though

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

I guess I'll just have to ride a little more and do some thinking. See how I feel...I don't want to make a snap judgement and regret it for years to come.

MOLON LABE!!!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

It is best to sleep on it. If you have qualms about doing something, mull them over before acting.

I've been riding Ural sidecar rigs for years now. I've had my current 2003 Ural Retro since it was new. Life in the slow lane out on country roads is a lot of fun. It even pulls a cargo/pop up tent trailer for us too. Had a 1995 Ural before that as well as a crusty old Dnepr MT16 2wd rig.

I had fun with the old super bikes back in the day. My last sport bike was a 2001 Guzzi V11S. But my arthritis was getting to me on it. Then Ural came out with that Retro model and I moved over to old man's bikes for good.

It can be a lot of fun to ride a slow bike fast. Not so much fun to run a fast bike slow.
    "Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

Member #
    Liked
    160 times

I got out of sport bikes in 2004. Been just riding old japanese road bikes ever since, fun to ride, easy to turn and you don't go 0-Dead when you twist the throttle. Seen too many friends dump and die.
    ~ mr. kermit
    Fortuna Fortes Juvat
    "Whomever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously has never encountered automatic weapons."

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

It can be a lot of fun to ride a slow bike fast. Not so much fun to run a fast bike slow.
    Very true. I get alot of people mad when I ride my ninja slow, AKA speed limit.
    TheAKFORUM Member #590

Member #
    Liked
    1428 times

3 very important rules I learned from my Dad about riding. 1. There are those who have gone down and those who will. Eventually its your turn. 2. You have to drive for every idiot on the road, they don't know or care that you are there. You must have your head on a swivel and you have to be able to predict what every numb-nut is going to do before they know that they will do it. 3. Always wear a helmet! A helmet on the back fender isn't going keep your brain inside your skull.

Cant blame you for being a bit unnerved. It can get very hairy very quick on a bike. Take a step back for a while and shake it out.

74 Honda Elsinore 125, I'd like a bigger cc version of the same bike but it is fun to ride around town on. Or an old Triumph TR6 or something, go Steve McQueen style.
    “Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death” Miyamoto Musashi

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Well my bestfriend just got an 07 Ninja ZX6R a few months ago and I ride with him from time to time. It gets a bit boring riding alone. He lives a little over an hour from me and with him being in college so not much mutual ride time gets done. I appreciate you guys commenting and speaking your mind about this subject. It's been hard trying to decide with just my outlook on it. I'm still tossing around the idea but as it sits I'm 70% keep it, 20% get rid of it, and 10% I don't freakin' know.

MOLON LABE!!!

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Ive got a ktm I converted to a motard, if your having trouble behaving on your sportbike, the supermoto will be no different.... I will admit that light weight and monster brakes have saved my life more times than I care to recall. I ride deals gap all the time, and its great, but the bottom line is if you ride hard on the street its only a matter of time before you lose a fight with a car.

Even just commuting around town is a near death experience.
    I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.- Erwin Rommel

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Here's what you have to look forwards to in old age!

Took these last weekend at our first sidecar rally of the year. The marroon rig and toy hauler are ours. Some folks rode from Maine to central NC to attend!

Enjoy the sport bikes while you can. Eventually, if you want to still ride it'll be "life in the slow lane"!
    "Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

There's plenty of idiotic and retarded people out there with things that could be potentially dangerous. Not gonna stop me from liking firearms and motorcycles.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Got a nice 2008 Yamaha Vstar 650 for running around town. it'll work on the highway but its a little light. Trucks passing and shit you know Also have a 2008 Kawasaki 1500 vulcan classic for the road. The vulcan is a little heavy for me to toodle around town and it doesn't turn as quick as the Vstar does. Had a slow speed head on with a woman turning left in front of me on the 1500, and I think if I was on the Vstar I could'a missed her front end. Now I get a lot cautious approaching intersections with left turners there.

Gave up the sportbikes in 1978.

Be careful out there.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I am sometimes really glad when the sport bikes came out I was old enough to be interested in other things but I an see how some of you guys get hooked. Be careful!
    WTB-Russian T2 front stub, any condition-Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors