AK myths...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AK myths...

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    282 times

AK myths...

I would like to turn this into a sticky in the future ...i am so tired of hearing this....

feel free to add/comment on these and keep it on track, not REAL ridiculous myths that we all heard from a local gunshop commando....

1)AKs are not very accurate. Its a known problem that comes from inherent design of the rifle
    2)You have to have a MILLED receiver to have any half-decent AK, as this was the original manufacture. Russians could not afford milled receivers so they switched to cheaper stamped versions.
    3)Steel cased ammo should try to be avoided...this is due to metal not expanding during the combustion inside the shell, unlike brass...which could potentially cause explosion inside the chamber...
    4)Milled receiver is always going to be more accurate that stamped. This is due to the fact that stamped will "flex" more during the firing process because it has parts stamped together, unlike milled, which is one solid piece
    5)AK sights are not very good because of the short radius created between the rear sight and the front. You have to have peep sights in order to be able to make a consistent hits past 100 yards.
    6)You should not load magazines/drums to full capacity and stored for extensive period of time. This is common sense because the springs will be under constant tension and will eventually wear out

i will go to the range tomorrow, where I always hear these things and pick up more cool facts about AKs that i never knew....

7)Caligula's AKs dont jam
    8) M. T. Kalashnikov stole the design from the German STG-44
    9)Semi-auto AK's are assault weapons
    10)AKs are horrible inaccurate and totally uncontrollable in FA.
    11)'due to a half-size shell and 30-cal bullet the AK is one of the most underpowered and under-developed rifles. Its that aspect of why it is so obsolete
    12) AKs NEVER need cleaning. Its an AK, dont worry about it
    13) you cannot store ammunition in plastic (Russian plums) magazine for extensive periods of time. magz will bulge out. If you want mags to store ammo, you have to use strictly STEEL mags, as steel is stronger and will not bulge.

14)If you truly want an accurate AK, you MUST have all matching- parts kit. If your parts kit does not match (such as trunnion or bolt to dustcover) you wont get the full potential accuracy of you rifle, as the parts were built at a different times
    15)7N6 seriously lacks performance compared to original design on 7.62x39. It lacks both stopping power and penetration
    16)the wobble in the bolt carrier is what sometimes causes to rifle to be inaccurate. as the part travels, and if the piston is not tighten down correctly- it will create lateral movement and cause your groups to open up
    17) Chrome lining the barrel is a thing of the past. Most commercial ammo is no longer corrosive, thus chrome linining the barrel no longer plays any advantages for the AK
    18) You want to avoid old Bakelite magazines, as well as plums or steel TANTAL magz. they often have worn our springs, busted feedlips and cannot be relied upon. Get the new generation of the AK magazines that are better, and US made.
    19) this one i think you might know where this one came from
    -using the side rail to mount optics on your rifle is ...almost obsolete. There are few reasons why its not a good idea. First off, half the rails coming from Russia are either not installed correctly or out of spec. You have to send it to a reputable gunsmith to get them aligned properly, so your scope will work.
    They also add unnecessary weight.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: AK myths...

you left out the biggest myth about AK, and the one that permeate the mystic about them -------they don't jam.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

#5 depends on your eyes. My are 61 years old and a rear mounted aperture really helps my shooting at any distance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    you left out the biggest myth about AK, and the one that permeate the mystic about them -------they don't jam.
    Got my first in 2001
    it is a romanian sar1
    most say these are the "cheap crap"of the AK world.
    because it is my first,it is my favorite to shoot,the one I grab to go to the range with.
    I have yet to have a jam.
    just sayin.
    I came to wreck everything,And to ruin your life........God sent me.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

I thought that drums should not be stored with their springs under tension for more than a couple days. I thought that was real vice a myth myself. I remember someone here translating a Sov mil manual that had that listed in it.

Third world myth. To make the bullets more powerful you slide the sight all the way up to the 1000 meter mark!
    "Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarnutz
    I thought that drums should not be stored with their springs under tension for more than a couple days. I thought that was real vice a myth myself. I remember someone here translating a Sov mil manual that had that listed in it.

Third world myth. To make the bullets more powerful you slide the sight all the way up to the 1000 meter mark!
    i actually remember reading the same...that they should not be stored for a long time.

When I attended Marco's course he had some Molot top loading drums that were loaded for about 4 years. they all worked fine.
    Thus ...a myth.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

another one to add...

is you flip the selector pass the detent on a semi ak it will become full auto.
    One day I will have a nice collection of AKs... instead of a nice collection of cardboard boxes.

WTB:
    Russian plum waffles

grp

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

all that you need to make an AK full auto is a drill
    Woman! Where is my super suit!
    If I have any bad photobucket images, please send me a PM.

Member #
    Liked
    556 times

the rooskies designed their round(pick one) so that they could use our ammo, but we couldn't use theirs

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarnutz
    I've seen locals do that down here . Then again , La is Americas own 3rd world nation .

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ones that should be added.

M. K. stole the design from the German STG-44
    Chinese Steel is cheap and inferior

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    282 times

Very good. thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The ak-47 is so versatile that it can shoot anything. If they run out of 7.62x39 they can take an m16 mag with .223 in it and shoot it without any problems. As told to me by a marine. He still swears by it even after I showed him my ak and ar.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times

Bullets of the AK were designed to shoot through TANKS.

I heard this one last night on History Channel as a cop described the North Hollywood shootout, or as I refer to it "Amateur Hour"
    "This is the first generation, where one describes their "Occupation", as the city park where they went camping." D.Petri 2011

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Semi-auto AK's are assault weapons.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors