The VFW - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The VFW

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My husband and I are both members of our local VFW and have been for a few years. He's on the regular side and I'm part of the Ladies Aux. We are the youngest of the members there. His dad just became post commander this past year and since the VFW is like his second home anyway it made sense. The biggest issue I have coming from when my husband was active I ran multiple of his troops FRGs and the Ladies Aux in my book isn't too much different, well it shouldn't be. The women at our post are just a bunch drunks who cook terribly. If it weren't for my mother in law's cooking, and us crafting things for sales they wouldn't do more than twiddle their thumbs and get drunk all the time (the leader of the ladies Aux nickname is drunk Debbie...). I've been banned from the VFW via my father in law and husband due to my pregnancy, they don't want me in the environment of the building and all the smoke. They are very hard headed old men and women who wont change a bit about their VFW and that's why membership is down so much, they don't appeal to younger veterans at all or their families. I know not all the VFWs are this way, another local one has the nicest ladies group and they are smoke free. their membership is great.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    They are building a new one here and am considering joining. I have avoided the VFW in the past for a few reasons, I don't consider myself a VFW (9 years and no combat deployments) although they tell me my KDSM qualifies me (not sure why. Only "combat" I faced was trying to cross the tracks, street, and make it past the MP's while shitfaced comming back to Camp Casey from TDC) ; and in the past, the older vets didn't seem to have much interest in the younger guys except to get thier membership dues. They have been pestering me for years since I started working at the VA. This new hall though, seems to be younger guys and if what they are advertising for activities and such are true, I might give em a go. Still fence sitting though...
    Last edited by id_shooting; 02-04-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I joined the American Legion back in 2000. I was able to use my membership card for the club membership requirement to purchase rifles from the CMP. I joined the VFW and the MOPH upon my return from Iraq in 2006. I don't go to any meetings, but I think it's worth it just because they all really go to bat for veteran's rights.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    ***Thread Resurrect***

Of all the veteran's organizations, I'm told NCOA is among the best for bene's and helping out w/VA claims and issues.

I don't think I've ever been in a VFW where the poser alert didn't light up.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I was a VFW member for a couple of years. Let the membership expire when I moved overseas (for five years), and never got around to renewing.
    When I was a member, I only attended a couple of meetings. The group mostly consisted of old WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets, most of whom have passed away by now. I was usually pretty bored, and spent the time looking at my watch, looking forward to the meetings being over with.

I occasionally think about re-joining, but haven't yet. Low on my priority list.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3678 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaijinsamurai View Post
    I was a VFW member for a couple of years. Let the membership expire when I moved overseas (for five years), and never got around to renewing.
    When I was a member, I only attended a couple of meetings. The group mostly consisted of old WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets, most of whom have passed away by now. I was usually pretty bored, and spent the time looking at my watch, looking forward to the meetings being over with.

I occasionally think about re-joining, but haven't yet. Low on my priority list.
    I joined the VFW a few years ago. I'm sure they do other and good things., but.,
    After going to the VFW "hall" a few times., it was like "old guys telling lies" war stories and drinking a bit too much.
    Again., I'm sure there is more to it than that., but it wasn't for me.

I attended three Vietnam War reunions over the past 5 years. In other states etc.
    But it was a pretty cool feeling to see the guys who you served, fought and survived with after 40 + years..
    I think maybe a bit like surviving a plane crash or something., and a bond among the survivors.
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-11-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Gaijinsamurai likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Life Member here, but NOT active. Enjoy the monthly magazine. Do not enjoy the never ending junk mail from them.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I had a relative that was a member in 44 and 45 according to the membership cards I found in his army footlocker.

Member #
    Liked
    8772 times
    Not a veteran but I did stay at a holiday in last night! That's basically my experience. Years ago a guy from work invited me for a few beers. If what I saw is typical of VFW then I wouldn't join. Maybe it varies by area but where I work is old blue color now a little "aged" would probably be a good way of explaining it. Not that there's anything wrong with blue color but walking in you can smell cigarette smoke from 1970. I'm a smoker but damn. Everything was at least 30 years old and not in a good way. Beer and food was cheap and garbage. Dollar store hotdogs soaking in cigarette smoke and Bud! Lots of old guys who seem to be retelling the same stories everyday. Had this aura about the place that the guys there just go because there's nothing else to do and they can't stand to be around their wives all day! This was the highlight of their day

If that's all there is to it I wouldn't join (if I were a veteran)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been a member for more than 25 years. I keep my membership active because of the political advocacy for veterans done on the national level.
    My post was still WWII guys when I joined, now they've all passed away, and i'm "the old guy", a Vietnam vet. The post is run by Desert Storm and GWOT vets. I don't drink, so I don't hang out there.

Your veteran benefits were won by the VFW and American Legion, starting in 1919 and still continuing today.

I belong to VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS and the Society of the 5th Infantry Division.
    Why? Because I have nothing in common with civilians, I'd rather be with my own kind.
    My VVA Chapter and Legion post are very active in the community, helping everyone we can from Boy Scouts to needy veterans.
    JoeMomma and Richard W. like this.
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    I went into my local VFW hall w/the wife about a month ago and it was just what I expected- dark, dirty, smelly, and so thick w/cigarette smoke we could hardly breath. The walls and drop ceiling were dingy yellow from nicotine stains. There were about a dozen people in there and you could hear a pin drop once we cleared the foyer. everyone just stopped talking. It was kind of awkward.

I wanted to see what the VFW was all about and what kind of advocacy they do for vets dealing w/VA. I couldn't get a word in edgewise w/the "post commander" after he came over to intro himself because he was too busy bragging about his time in and how good he has it w/his own VA bene's. He literally would not shut up until I said I had to go and broke contact. We put our 1/2 finished, piss-warm Miller Hi-Lifes down and un-assed. We completely stunk of cigarette smoke after maybe 20 minutes in that joint. I'll never go back there again.

I've been to one other VFW post down in FL and it was the same thing, except in that one there was usually some buck-toothed 1/2 a retard tellin' everybody about all the stuff he did in Nam that he "can't talk about."

So my impression of the VFW is so far pretty low, and I still don't know what they provide vets other than filthy clubhouses and dipshits running their mouths.
    Last edited by YankeeZulu; 08-25-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I don't care what organization you point to, there's always somone who decides that this, that or the other isn't for them or is (fill in the blank). I'm a member of several groups that I don't always agree with everything they do or say, or use all the "benefits" open to members. That doesn't mean that group isn't worthwhile to be a part of. The NRA gets respect in Congress because they have a large membership and a large warchest that can be used either for or against a politician. Unless a person in Congress comes from a pretty safe district for them, you usually don't see that Congressional member intentionally trying to get cross-ways with the NRA because the NRA has shown on numerous occasions that they have a long memory and a lot of money to go with it. If the American Legion and VFW had half the membership and money the NRA does, do you really think that those same Congressional members would want to cross one of those organizations? By now, I think you can see where I'm going with this. The resounding answer to your question about whether you should join or not is, "Yes, as fast as you can!" The American Legion and VFW are single-issue groups, just like the NRA. They fight for your benefits (both to keep what you've got and to get more/better) as a veteran just as hard as the NRA does for gun rights. There is definite strength in numbers, so join.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fastreb View Post
    They fight for your benefits (both to keep what you've got and to get more/better) as a veteran just as hard as the NRA does for gun rights.
    Well I have yet to see anything they really do for vets because the only thing I ever get out of them is long winded, self-absorbed diatribes by drunken chain smokers. At least the NRA dedicates a page or 2 out of their monthly magazine to detail ongoing litigation and legislation so you have an idea what action is underway for members.

Member #
    Liked
    611 times
    I am a member but most around where I live have closed do to cost and lack of membership. The same guys doing all the work. When I got home from Vietnam I joined because my dad drank there. The guys drove me batty asking me what did you do in Vietnam ??? did you kill any women and children? that one did not get asked much but they were all thinking it. And like most clubs it was clicky. It does allot of good work and that should be remembered. When they closed the one I belonged to they sold the building and did allot for the schools and town with the money from the sale. There also was allot of really nice men and woman that belonged to the VFW. It is just another piece of history that today's generation could care less about.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    Ha , i know this is an old thread.
    my Dad always went to the Vfw and played bumper pool. He was pretty good!
    Always figured that was was where our alowence came from!
    Really miss my Father, he was a true WW2 vet who had a kind heart.
    Ram Rod likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors