Question for otgher Army guys . . . . - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question for otgher Army guys . . . .

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I now have this plate on order.

It's a good thing I have a car plate on a motorcycle.

-Don- Reno, NV
    Last edited by DonTom; 02-21-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    The Vietnam plate frame came in yesterday. I was quite unhappy with the piece of junk for several reasons:

1. It's cheap made in China junk and looks like such.

2. The "Vietnam Veteran" is just a cheap sticker on bottom of the plate frame, which looks like it could peal off in a week or so. The Vietnam Service Ribbon on top is the same type of cheap tape sticker.

3. The top of the frame covers most of the word "Nevada" on the license plate. The top of the frame goes more than half way down the "Nevada" letters when unmodified.

4. The bottom of the frame totally covers all of the word "Veteran" on the license plate at the same time, when unmodified.

I know in some states it's not legal to cover ANY of the wording on the license plate (I don't know if NV has such a law or not).

Anyway, I decided to cut off the top of the frame and screw the bottom on below the word "Veteran" of the plate by drilling four small holes. Then I pealed off the ribbon on top of the frame and taped it down above the license plate.

I totally destroyed the frame in the process (top is cut off and top ends were grind smooth <see photo>, but it came out looking like the way I want (at least until the stickers peal off by themselves from the weather or whatever):

V11BC_zps8r12kkdz.jpg

-Don- Reno, NV

A J

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    In my opinion, the whole contraption looks tacky and like you're trying too hard. I'd simply ditch the cheap looking frame and go with just the plate. I have a thin black frame on my plate that doesn't obscure anything. It looks a lot better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2157 times
    I agree. Waaaaaay too much.

But it's your ride, so rock on.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    In my opinion, the whole contraption looks tacky and like you're trying too hard. I'd simply ditch the cheap looking frame and go with just the plate. I have a thin black frame on my plate that doesn't obscure anything. It looks a lot better.
    Where did you get your frame?

I figure mine won't last long anyway and I will look for something better-but not from on-line this next time where I cannot take a good look without any other info.

-Don- Reno, NV

A J

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Don,

I think it came with a used Honda Accord I bought about 15 years ago. I recently sold the car but kept the frame. It's made of the softer, bendable plastic, not the hard brittle and shiny stuff. Nowadays, every dealership tacks on some crappy looking frame. In my opinion, the "cool kids" remove the frame and just have the plate all by itself secured with brass or stainless steel screws (so they don't rust).

EDIT: I just remembered.... Another thing you can do is take some cheapo dealer license plate frame, turn it backwards BEHIND the plate and simply attach to the car. My wife did that with her veteran plate and it looks real classy. All you see is a thin black outline around the plate with no obscuration of the plate. Works like a charm!
    Last edited by A J; 03-05-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Lots of us 11B types here Thanks for your service and all the others here!!! 11B4PS RVN 65 66 1stBn ABN 1st Cav A company Jumping Mustangs
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4434 times
    Letís go back to owning a BMW since new in 1971, that is pretty damned cool! Letís see the bike!
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors