Techno Paint advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Techno Paint advice

Member #
    Liked
    2244 times
    The paint is pretty thick. I am liking 60/40 a little more recently and it will be fine for airbrush or preval. I will be painting a gun with a Preval soon.

Quote Originally Posted by myst173 View Post
    You can switch thinners around to handle extreme temps, Summer here (SC) has a few weeks of 100 degrees with 100% humidity, so you have to deal with it, or lose time. 1 to 1 on paint to thinner with denatured is pretty extreme, but I can't argue with the results I've been seeing getting posted.

You're doing the right thing with that gun, running a 1/4 cup or so of thinner after painting, swishing it around, and spraying it out goes a long way toward not having to clean the gun all the time. When I was painting cars I'd take a gun down maybe once a month for a detail cleaning, just running a little thinner through them was good enough to switch colors, etc, we kept separate guns for base and clear coat because I'd use a different nozzle setup for each. Pick up some little micro pics to clean out the nozzle and some different size pipe cleaner to clean the pickup and the bend coming from the pickup to the needle and you're in good shape. If you take care of a gun they'll last for years. Keep an eye on the o-ring that seals the cup to the gun, that's typically the first part to need replacing.

If you're in a body shop the secret to good paint jobs is dedicated primer guns, I'd break someones hand if I caught them putting self-etching primer in a gun I'd setup for painting. LOL, I've seen some primer guns on the floor that a qt cup would only hold a pint of primer in it because they'd let the old primer harden in the cups. It takes all damn day to clean them at that point.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Member #
    Liked
    4470 times
    maadi great info. i had not picked up on that you could put it on too glossy initially and have it come out flat.
    interesting!

i had a milled kit in here the other day that was painted i assume w/ refurb paint or this idk but dissolved it was purple so indicates a similar paint i assume.
    anyways i was boiling to degrease it basically pealed right off and revealed a nice blued originally but now bfpu finish.
    they did zero prep...
    moral of the story is that blast and or park prep is really key for it to stick (w/ any gun paint of course)
    it was kind of neat to see the effect...
    Sunspot likes this.
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    2244 times

Techno Paint advice

Going back to what Sunspot was saying, I think we need to revisit how much to dilute Izzy builds.

Iím thinking 60/40 or 50/50 ends up too clean and smooth looking. I resprayed a top coat on my 87 with a slightly dirty gun and thicker mix and it matched the top better.

Iím going to play with different mixtures/pressures, techniques using 120 alum oxide.

Also I am going to do a Preval only build.

I discussed some of these various finish issues with a very knowledgeable gentleman... there is a reason why Tulas are glossier. The best way to replicate it is use 180-200 alum oxide.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsors