Older WASR 10 furniture. How to replicate the color.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Older WASR 10 furniture. How to replicate the color.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Older WASR 10 furniture. How to replicate the color.

I purchased a WASR 10 from Atlantic last year. Decided to replace and sell the new blonde furniture that is now standard with Atlantic AK's and go with the older WASR style. I found a great deal on a set of the old WASR furniture on Armslist, yet it did not include the upper hand guard. So I went to Apex and purchased a Romanian upper hand guard. It does not match because it is unfinished.

So my question is has anyone tried to replicate the color of the older WASR furniture? Ideas are welcome.

IMG_1672.jpg
    Last edited by IntrudersForever; 08-04-2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Better Picture

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    My upper I got with my kit was totally beat , with cracks and all. Got a new upper from Apex and refinished the whole set with a few coats of Tung Oil. The upper still didn't match but who cares it looked nice.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3232 times
    The finish on Romanian AK stocks is Amber Shellac. Several coats. It will vary in color depending on the original shade of the wood.
    Your buttstock and lower handguard look unfinished.., or only oiled.

You can try to Shellac the set and a couple extra coats on the gas tube cover. I doubt it will ever be a full match.
    It is an unusual color in the picture. Not a common Romanian color.., or looks to be more like the recent import or USA wood etc.
    But wood color does vary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I agree with AKBLUE...that upper appears to be the new wood that Century is using for the wasrs and the RAS.

Im not sure where you are located but if you are not intested in refinishing it yourself you can ship it to me and I will work on it for you. I am new to the refinishing game and have tried a couple different blends based on shellac that is tinted to achieve different colors. I will work pretty cheap because I want the practice.

The one on the left is amber shellac with maybe 10 drops of bordeaux tint to deepen it a little. Its a little darker than plain amber shellac. The other 2 are bordeaux in amber and clear shellac respectively.

I also did one in green but do not have pics of it on here yet..just my phone.

100_0391.JPG

If you are interested let me know and I can send updated pics of the 2 stocks I have finished on hand. I just got a polish upper and a romy dong lower yesterday...and plan on stripping the dong down as the shellac is flaking. I should be getting some more handguards this week and could put together a set for you. PM me if interested.
    Mullo98 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    It looks perfect to me
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Most of the Romanian uppers that I've seen are mixed match. BTW welcome to the forum.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3232 times
    In my experience of about 10 Romanian kits and another 5-6 sets of Romy furniture they are generally pretty well matched. Though they are hardwood regardless if the rest of the furniture is old hardwood, new hardwood or laminate etc.

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I would seem to be a waste of wood to take a laminate rectangle and shave it down to an upper..not a lot of wood left. Wonder if that was the reason to not do laminate on the upper.

And I agree..the upper in the pic does look a lot like the new stuff coming in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the responses. I like the used look of the furniture so I do not want to refinish it. As for the upper i'll probably just leave it as it is. Im sure it will darken a bit from use and my grubby hands. I even entertained the idea of testing a small area on the inside of the upper with minwax red oak since the stock and lower seem to have a reddish color.

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I mixed my first batch of shellac from the discs from wellermart. I did a 1 cut and it is thin to say the least. I have applied 2 coats to a stripped and cleaned stock and you can barely tell it has been touched.

I will take pics later before I sand it and add another coat.

I have also added a coat of this to a dong that was more red than I wanted it...if it doesnt darken it I will have to strip it down and start again.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Here is my latest refinished wasr20181106_105613.jpg
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    I have been playing with refinishing and I'm never happy with the end result, but I am getting closer. I do not like the Romanian brown look, so I have been focused on creating a Russian spin that looks classy. I have found that the whole iodine thing that people talk about makes Romanian wood (or at least my sets) entirely too orange, so I scrapped that idea. Currently I'm trying combinations of amber shellac, cherry red and scarlett rit dye.

The best by far has been scarlett, but I'm not willing to rule out the cherry just yet. My opinion is that with dyes you don't overdo it. Your wood will thank you and will look natural, you know, way less synthetic like some of the monstrosities you can find on the net. It seems to me that the only way to achieve a good color is by layering the colors youre using. I do amber shellac with a dyed shellac, then back to amber.

Theres some guys rocking out some awesome true to ak finishes, but like I said, I'm not there yet. If you really want to keep it simple, just use miniwax prestain a super light and quick hit of miniwax red oak (or whatever its called) and regular Zinnser amber shellac, it looks very decent honestly. Also, dont use a million coats either. All you need is like three or four and wet sand in between.

I do this on my off time. What I hope to achieve is a classy finish I can replicate everytime. It's a frustrating revolving process of strip, bleach, and finish for me. I'm extremely picky with stuff and I know nothing about refinishing except trial and error.

Edit: FUCK ME!!! I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW OLD THIS THREAD WAS. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4590 times
    no worries
    needs moar AK

or beer

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3232 times
    No need to wet sand in between coats. Using 0000 steel wool is the common method in Shellac finishing.
    Romanian wood changed and varioed over time.
    In the later years of the mid 1980's the lighter shades of only Amber Shellac on the Md63 and 65 and Md86 and the Md90.

Earlier finishes tended into the brwon tones with just a tinge of red (very little) and overcoats of Amber Shellac.
    Some Transtint Reddish Brown in small quantities to tint the Shellac works well.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    No need to wet sand in between coats. Using 0000 steel wool is the common method in Shellac finishing.
    Romanian wood changed and varioed over time.
    In the later years of the mid 1980's the lighter shades of only Amber Shellac on the Md63 and 65 and Md86 and the Md90.

Earlier finishes tended into the brwon tones with just a tinge of red (very little) and overcoats of Amber Shellac.
    Some Transtint Reddish Brown in small quantities to tint the Shellac works well.
    I have used steel wool, but I honestly feel like wet sanding gives it a better surface. I do use the steel wool lightly to knock down gloss though on finished product.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-15-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors