What is the toughest rattle can paint for AK
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is the toughest rattle can paint for AK

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What is the toughest rattle can paint for AK

I have a Century Bulgarian AK74 that I replaced the barrel with a original Bulgy one. I refinished it with low gloss black Duplicolor engine paint. After 580 rounds (two different shooting sessions) I have quite some wear on all the edges. I did clean the hell out of it and had the parts sitting in the sun for a hour before spraying it and cooked them for one hour at 250 degrees.

Has anyone had better results with a different rattle can paint from a auto parts store? I am thinking of Alumahyde or duracoat but the last time I did duracoat 5 years ago it came out too thick and had a killer smell to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Re: What is the toughest rattle can paint for AK

Quote Originally Posted by 86k10
    I have a Century Bulgarian AK74 that I replaced the barrel with a original Bulgy one. I refinished it with low gloss black Duplicolor engine paint. After 580 rounds (two different shooting sessions) I have quite some wear on all the edges. I did clean the hell out of it and had the parts sitting in the sun for a hour before spraying it and cooked them for one hour at 250 degrees.

Has anyone had better results with a different rattle can paint from a auto parts store? I am thinking of Alumahyde or duracoat but the last time I did duracoat 5 years ago it came out too thick and had a killer smell to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I would like to see pics......

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I've used the 1200d duplicolor with good results.

there's some wood burner stove paint that may work good, but i've not tried it.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    53 times

Have you read through this thread yet? :

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71229

"1k paints: Refers to the paint itself, they are usually mixed with thinners or reducers to make them sprayable. They dry through evaporation, they cure to a certain point depending on what solids base they have. Spray paint is a very common 1k paint. Some can be solvent resistant, most aren't.

2k paints: The paint is the first "k" and a hardener/activator is the second "k", 2k's have to have a activator or they will never cure. They will dry, but will always remain sticky and gummy. 2k paints cure through a chemical reaction. 2k paints are highly solvent resistant. 2k paints are sometimes mixed with a reducer to make them sprayable.

Okay I first broke paint down into three main groups; laquer, enamel(along with urethanes), and epoxy. Laquers won't work for painting guns, period(it's 1k, with no solvent resistance what so ever). You are left with two main choices enamels and epoxies. Epoxies are probably to tuffest and hardest paint out there, it sticks to pretty much anything. Epoxy would be the best bet for about 80% of your gun, but there is one main draw back to it is it fails under extreme heat; like from the barrel. Urethanes also fail with extreme heat.

Enamels are the best bet for your painting needs. They are highly solvent resistant, scratch resistant, good adheasion properites and withstand heat much better. The main drawback to enamels is the slow dry time and the time for them to fully cure, they usually take 3-4 weeks to fully cure and become fully solvent proof. But remeber, not all enamels are created equal. There are numerous 1k enamels out there. Since you are investing your time painting your own gun, go the extra mile and use a 2k enamel. "

Unfortunately, it was never finished, but there is good info in it.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks RE-fanger, I did go over that but I thought it was more for gun kote/duracoat professional finishes that rattle can finishes.

I have read up some and think I am going to go with either VHT engine enamel or VHT brake caliper paint. The brake paint goes up to about 900 degrees and the engine paint goes up to 500 degrees. Last time I went shooting (300 rounds) I did get that barrel hot but the paint held up fine so I wasn't worried about that.

Has anyone had experience with VHT engine/brake paint? Or even brake caliper paint of a different brand? This time I am going to pre heat the parts to 250 degrees before I paint it instead of letting it sit in 80 degree sun for a little.

Member #
    Liked
    513 times

I have used the caliper paint, it melts on the barrel . The paint that worked well for me , and is holding up amazinigly to wear and heat is Rustoleum 1200 degree BBQ paint baked at 350 degrees for one hour. if you spray it at the right distance it will have the texture similiar to the factory Saiga paint, and even Russian AKM paint, kinda not gloss but not flat. It works really well over parkerizeing or a rough surface. The caliper paint and the BBQ paint, even when baked, still come right off with laquer thinner etc. so you can easily redo it...
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by omega88
    I have used the caliper paint, it melts on the barrel . The paint that worked well for me , and is holding up amazinigly to wear and heat is Rustoleum 1200 degree BBQ paint baked at 350 degrees for one hour. if you spray it at the right distance it will have the texture similiar to the factory Saiga paint, and even Russian AKM paint, kinda not gloss but not flat. It works really well over parkerizeing or a rough surface. The caliper paint and the BBQ paint, even when baked, still come right off with laquer thinner etc. so you can easily redo it...
    Did you pre-heat the parts before painting them? And how long after you painted them did you wait too bake them?

Member #
    Liked
    513 times

I painted at room temperature, actually basement temp, 72 degrees, with lowered humidity from central air cond. then I wait 24 hrs for everything to dry. Smooth metal or bead blasted smooth is not good, rougher the better to a point and clean of oil etc. I dont see any reason for pre-heating, its the final bakeing that matters most, aside from clean preperation. When painting, holding the can farther away on the last passes from the weapon seems to give that light texture of Russian paint. I make sure the weapon is completely painted in one paint session, and no further paint sessions, before bakeing the next afternoon. I have done recent bakeing in the propane BBQ, there is a guage on the BBQ that shows low, medium , and high, so I keep it in the medium area never above, I believe that is between 350 and 400 degrees, appereantly its close enough that the finish comes out just as good as the regular oven. Domestic political issues dictated another option for bakeing then the kitchen oven, since a friend asked me in front of the wife how the bakeing turned out, so OPSEC is something that needs to be maintained if you use your kitchen oven without full cooperation of your domestic obstacle (wife)...
    Doc Feelgood likes this.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 86k10

I have read up some and think I am going to go with either VHT engine enamel or VHT brake caliper paint. The brake paint goes up to about 900 degrees and the engine paint goes up to 500 degrees. Last time I went shooting (300 rounds) I did get that barrel hot but the paint held up fine so I wasn't worried about that.
    The VHT has ceramic elements in it and will not "melt off" if applied properly.
    The part must be heated before and AFTER painting
    Follow the directions on the can.

Have you Hugged your Assault Rifle today ?
    "I am the NRA"
    Escape from NY - the Sequel

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

I've used the 1200d duplicolor with good results.
    +1 if that's their high heat brake paint. I've seen it used with good results.
    My two favorite teams are the Houston Texans, and whoever is playing the Cowboys

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I wouldn't get the parts too hot , most suggest around 120 degrees or so.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times

Quote Originally Posted by RE-fanger
    Have you read through this thread yet? :

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71229

"1k paints: Refers to the paint itself, they are usually mixed with thinners or reducers to make them sprayable. They dry through evaporation, they cure to a certain point depending on what solids base they have. Spray paint is a very common 1k paint. Some can be solvent resistant, most aren't..

How can i know if an enamel paint is 1K or 2K?
    Are there any marking on a can?

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    53 times

Well, I think what he was trying to say is that the 1K or 2K rating pertains to the composition of the paint--1K being solvent based and 2K being a two part affair needing to be mixed in the correct proportions to cure properly, (like duracoat, etc.)... So, I guess it could be possible to find a 2K rattle can finish that consists of using 2 different cans, but I seriously doubt it. I'm certainly no paint expert, but it just doesn't sound like anything that any company would trust the public to apply correctly, and I have never heard of anything quite like that.

If you are still serious about a rattle can finish, I would recommend checking out some of the previous recommendations from other members such as brake caliper paint, etc. and then contact the manufacturer to see if the product is solvent resistant.

Not trying to discourage, just making a point about how i read the stuff that I previous quoted from that other thread.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide to do, and how well it works out.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

I have had very good success with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy over park.
    I can get a nice gloss to semi gloss depending on the bake temp.

I have never had any issues with the paint on the barrel with heat.
    Shot lots of rounds and the paint is still intact and going strong.
    It even holds up well to the selector arc and solvents.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Z_recto
    I have had very good success with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy over park.
    I can get a nice gloss to semi gloss depending on the bake temp.

I have never had any issues with the paint on the barrel with heat.
    Shot lots of rounds and the paint is still intact and going strong.
    It even holds up well to the selector arc and solvents.
    Great stuff, Used it for my last two refinishing projects.

Darkest shade I've found yet, not quite as dark as the Russian paint but very close.

The Bipod has it's original Russian paint on it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors