Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: AK Pistol Advice Badly Needed.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

AK Pistol Advice Badly Needed.

Never thought Iíd want another AK!
    I thought I was done buying rifles. Guess technically I am.
    Iíve read some of the AK pistols have issues.
    If I am in the market, what should I look out for good and bad?
    Im sorry I am asking to be spoon fed but I guess I am asking for a little help.
    But Iím stuck at home for the foreseeable future on lockdown so......

I am looking for something that is as reliable as your typical run-of-the-mill, old school AK type rifle as far as, well,
    everything Iím accustomed to in an AK platform.

Back in the day 9/10 years ago WASRís were bottom of the barrel. I sold one to a friend from
    a combo deal I got for 250 and I made out on it.
    Now I see WASRs go for a pretty penny and barely anybody is blinking. Maybe Iím not looking hard enough.
    Im not slinging crap, Iím not, for real, itís just that I come back to the scene and things
    have so seemingly radically changed Iím trying to wrap my head around it all.

Anyway, Iím looking to get one of these pistols and I want one that is actual AK material. Not some
    bullsh#*t newfangled carpetbagging insert whatever word needed
    O.K. rant off.

Any amount of advice is welcome. Thank you for your time
    P.S. Sorry if u saw this in the general, didnít know this subforum existed.

Member #
    Liked
    1139 times
    Some of the AK pistols having issues is news to me. I have several and all have been 100%. Do you want 7.62x39, 5.56x45 or 9mm?
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    7961 times
    OP - you are probably thinking of 12 or so years ago when most AK pistols were something an American gunsmith put together. A few were good - the rest not so much.

Then Cugir of Romania said "hold my Tuica - watch this" and began offering Draco pistols imported through Century. They are - for the most part - 100% Romanian made.

Draco pistols are made in the same military factory that has been making AKM pattern firearms since 1963.

Chrome bore. Mag well cut to the correct spec. Standard AKM handguards fit the standard model. There are mini-Dracos as well if that is your thing.

You can do a lot with a standard Draco.

Mine purchased in 2011 as received. The current production ones are prettier.

Same pistol as an SBR

East to change handguards on a whim.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-17-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    People don't bat an eye at the price because a lot can change in ten years, and now the Romanian stuff is the best you can get for the money. Anything better is no longer imported or very spotty and expensive. For 700 bucks you can get snicklefritz or Romanian, it's just that simple. My Romanian stuff isn't nearly as desirable, or as nice as my Russian stuff, but it works just as well.

Buy a Draco dude and embrace the times, or spend an arm and a leg for better finish. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by Pookie; 04-17-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    What about Zastava pistols ?
    tchick likes this.
    "Since the defense of our states and our country contemplates the militia fighting against organized armies of regular soldiers, then the argument of the gun-grabbers that regular citizens don't need assault weapons of the types designed for military use is clearly nonsense." The Liberty Tree

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    I say buy anything, and everything, regardless of anyone's personal opinion while you still can. I doubt you'll find anyone here who will tell you not to buy any AK product that's actually foreign made. The only reason why some of us prefer other rifles/pistols is preference. If you buy foreign made completes, or foreign made part kits assembled by competent builders with quality American compliance parts, you will most likely be golden unless you have freakish bad luck.
    Last edited by Pookie; 04-17-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Bret......Looking to get 7.62.

MPiKM-72 ......thanks so much brother!
    I was basing my ď problemsĒ impression from youtube vids I saw recently. When I checked out of the scene a while ago there werenít as many guns being manufactured in u.s. or being imported as far as I remember.

So far Iím seeing the arsenals, Dracos, u.s. made dracos, m+m industries, Zastava, PSA, WBP. Sure there are more.
    I just want to make sure Iím getting ďmil-specĒ parts, I.e that the thing is gonna be right.

Thanks for the replies and any more are welcome.
    Last edited by cnow1; 04-17-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    7961 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Onegin View Post
    What about Zastava pistols ?
    Good to go - but oddball handguards and a few other traits limit what you can do with them.

If I could have found an original barrel M92 kit before my NFA streak was over I'd have one in the collection.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-17-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    Pookie, 43m1garand and scottyb like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    If you want 7.62x39 I have a sam7k I love it goes all over with me. Some people bitch about arsenals but I love mine zero issues

9mm I'd say the KP9

With the nice braces on the market no need to give the big gov $200 to further tread on your rights
    YUGO_Dave likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

AK Pistol Advice Badly Needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HavasuAK View Post
    If you want 7.62x39 I have a sam7k I love it goes all over with me. Some people bitch about arsenals but I love mine zero issues

9mm I'd say the KP9

With the nice braces on the market no need to give the big gov $200 to further tread on your rights
    I agree, I went with a Bonesteel/CNC Warrior brace that is nearly as good as any stock and it was rock solid on my Lynx, until I lost it in the boating accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks again for all the replies. I’ll probably end up saving up for the SAM7K-44 if I can do it in time and if it’s available. I have a couple of rifles I can use to fund the purchase so I might go that route. I hate to get rid of any rifle but that pistol is starting to have an obscene amount of influence on my man feelings

Member #
    Liked
    1252 times
    It might be a craze I am not aware of.
    Not sure why I am starting to look more and more into pistols too, although I am behind the enemy lines and it's highly unlikely I can get my hands on one.

Dracos HG4949-N (the ones with the KA blade) look appealing to me. A slightly longer barrel than Zastava ZPAP92 hopefully will tame the dragon fireball better.
    I've been looking at them yesterday the whole day and this morning too.

For whatever crazy reason nobody agrees on the barrel length on these pistol. 11.5", 11.63" and 12.25" depending on the site you look at.
    Standard furniture, easily customizable.

MPiKM-72,
    I love the look of that short barrel UF you posted above.
    What's the OAL on it?
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7961 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    It might be a craze I am not aware of.
    Not sure why I am starting to look more and more into pistols too, although I am behind the enemy lines and it's highly unlikely I can get my hands on one.

Dracos HG4949-N (the ones with the KA blade) look appealing to me. A slightly longer barrel than Zastava ZPAP92 hopefully will tame the dragon fireball better.
    I've been looking at them yesterday the whole day and this morning too.

For whatever crazy reason nobody agrees on the barrel length on these pistol. 11.5", 11.63" and 12.25" depending on the site you look at.
    Standard furniture, easily customizable.

MPiKM-72,
    I love the look of that short barrel UF you posted above.
    What's the OAL on it?
    Thanks!

30.5" is what I filed it as.

I based it on this late model Md65 short rifle. Photos are of a real one in Europe.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-18-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    I just got a Draco... thanks guy!
    dixy2k, Gypsy and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1252 times
    Desperately searching for the Hate button.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors