Zastava EZ9 contest winner - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Zastava EZ9 contest winner

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Nice, hope it stays in stock until I can get me one come payday Friday. I'm off today, and I swapped out my extractor last night, so I'm about to hit up a range nearby to see if it the pistol performs better. I also got me an extra strength beretta mag spring from wolf gunsprings to try out in one of the mags to see if it makes a difference. Hoping it works a lot better with this extractor than the old one, though honestly comparing the 2 extractors, I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong with the old one so I'm not too optimistic. Think the recoil spring will be the last attempt if the extractor doesn't do any better.

As far as the braided spring, my EZ-9 actually came with that type. Guess I neglected to mention the difference with the CZ-99 I had compared to the EZ-9. I tried seeing if the slides were interchangeable between the EZ-9 and the CZ-99 back then too, and to my surprise they didn't seem to be. I don't remember which was what, but basically I think one was too narrow for the frame on the other, and vice versa.

What confirmed it on your friend's CZ-99 that it was the spring? Did you guys just try out a spring from one of your CZ-99's in it, and have it work fine with that one, or what gave the cause away?
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haris122 View Post
    What confirmed it on your friend's CZ-99 that it was the spring? Did you guys just try out a spring from one of your CZ-99's in it, and have it work fine with that one, or what gave the cause away?
    He actually owns 3 bought from Coles. One doesn't function correctly. Swapped springs and it worked. Thing is that recoil spring guide is thicker than most other pistols out there, so most other springs will not work.

Its funny - he'll spend money on the pistols but I can't get him to understand he needs more than one mag per pistol. He is so cheap.
    Haris122 likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    He actually owns 3 bought from Coles. One doesn't function correctly. Swapped springs and it worked. Thing is that recoil spring guide is thicker than most other pistols out there, so most other springs will not work.

Its funny - he'll spend money on the pistols but I can't get him to understand he needs more than one mag per pistol. He is so cheap.
    I think I wound up using I think Sig P226 recoil springs from wolf gunsprings, that seemed to fit properly back when I was trying different springs to make it work right. But nice that he got it figured out.

I don't want to get too happy too soon, but the new extractor seems to have seriously improved function of the EZ-9. I shot around 110 rounds of Winchester NATO 124 grain, 100 rounds of Winchester Steel cased 115 grain, and about 30 rounds of 115 grain Magtech, and there wasn't a single failure to extract this time. I had a few issues where the slide would lock open as if the mag was empty even when it wasn't, but that's a problem I caused myself (long story), and besides that, it worked without issue. Before, I could only dream to go through 100 rounds of the NATO, much less the steel cased rounds. I still need to see it work this good a few more times before I have myself fully convinced, but man, that was such a nice change with this pistol.
    Last edited by Haris122; 02-12-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haris122 View Post
    I think I wound up using I think Sig P226 recoil springs from wolf gunsprings, that seemed to fit properly back when I was trying different springs to make it work right. But nice that he got it figured out.

I don't want to get too happy too soon, but the new extractor seems to have seriously improved function of the EZ-9. I shot around 110 rounds of Winchester NATO 124 grain, 100 rounds of Winchester Steel cased 115 grain, and about 30 rounds of 115 grain Magtech, and there wasn't a single failure to extract this time. I had a few issues where the slide would lock open as if the mag was empty even when it wasn't, but that's a problem I caused myself (long story), and besides that, it worked without issue. Before, I could only dream to go through 100 rounds of the NATO, much less the steel cased rounds. I still need to see it work this good a few more times before I have myself fully convinced, but man, that was such a nice change with this pistol.
    I'm very happy for you!

The decock lever springs have to have just the right tension. If one side is stronger than the other the slide can lock open like that. Those two springs have to have "balanced" tension.This is something unique to this unique pistol design. These are part numbers 8 & 9 on the Zastava USA list.

On the BFPU TDI Arms CZ99 I restored to function in 2014 that issue started happening occasionally in the last year or so.

I bought a used right side spring from Numrich. They were out of left side springs at the time. The Numrich spring replaced my homemade spring - homemade spring was getting pretty weak.

When I installed the used Numrich factory spring it made it worse - the springs were no longer "balanced tension" and the slide would often lock open even without a mag inserted.

So on my first Zastava order I received new 8, 9 & slide lock (11 I think) springs. I haven't installed them yet as I want my friend to see the inner workings of the pistol when I change them. I'm going to change the recoil spring as well - all these springs are now in my possession. I'll update my CZ99 restoration thread when I do.

I am so happy that we can now just place an order for new springs from a US address. They are quite reasonable on shipping cost and ship quickly.

4 springs for roughly $32 shipped (two separate shipments) - that is a bargain.
    Turbo and Haris122 like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    It's great to have the ability to order parts for these. BTW, here's my new custom holster for my EZ9/light combo:

MPiKM-72 and JoeMomma like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7959 times
    Very cool holster! Who made it?

I confirmed the suspicion that Sig 2022 holster will work with the CZ99. Found NOS Eagle G-Code Sig 2022 LH holster. The current G-code company doesn't even list Sig 2022 as an option. Holster was set up to work with their RTI mount system that I have on my "war belt". Works great. Carried the pistol on the last two 5 mile run and gun events I was in.

I always have to make it hard on myself - being left handed and having a desire to collect and use uncommon military issue pistols.

Also found a left hand RTI compatible Makarov holster but have not carried it yet.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-04-2020 at 05:39 AM.
    Turbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Very cool holster! Who made it?

I confirmed the suspicion that Sig 2022 holster will work with the CZ99. Found NOS Eagle G-Code Sig 2022 LH holster. The current G-code company doesn't even list Sig 2022 as an option. Holster was set up to work with their RTI mount system that I have on my "war belt". Works great. Carried the pistol on the last two 5 mile run and gun events I was in.

I always have to make it hard on myself - being left handed and having a desire to collect and use uncommon military issue pistols.

Also found a left hand RTI compatible Makarov holster but have not carried it yet.
    Thanks! It was made in Serbia by Horned Viper. They make holsters for all the variants and common guns. Good to know on Sig holster. The ambi decocker makes it hard to know what Sig holster may work. I also hear some H&K and XD holsters may work. In my case I had to get one custom made for light.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsors