new Yugo M57 "Tokarev" from Classic Arms
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: new Yugo M57 "Tokarev" from Classic Arms

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times

new Yugo M57 "Tokarev" from Classic Arms

They've stopped putting that awful thumb safety on the Toks and now have a trigger safety in it's place.

The trigger safety is fairly craptastic (doesn't seem to do anything?), so I swapped mine out with a Polish TT trigger.

Didn't pay extra for hand-select because it's usually a scam to milk an extra $20 out of me. LOL. Maybe if I had I would have gotten one without the splotchy finish missing on the slide. Otherwise it's in good shape. Good tackle box pistol.

As I received it with the trigger safety:

No import markings on the sides!

Importer's etching under the trigger guard. Very sensible place to put it.

A Polish trigger from RTG Parts is interchangeable with the Yugo after you remove the magazine safety.

Done!

montanaAK, AZAK, otus and 10 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3565 times
    I had to go for one of those too, and glad I did. Really appreciate the tip on the trigger, will order one from RTG right now, might have a follow-up question or two. The "safety" trigger works, but it was done crudely and there are slight burrs along both edges of the inserted "blade". Difficult to effectively captivate the blade safety to smooth these off.

I've discovered that I kind of like shooting this round and have a bunch of surplus to use up. First Tokarev-type pistol I've shot and I'm surprised by how much I like the gun and the round itself. The geometry and grip configuration always looked awkward but once I handled the gun, the Browning design parallels became apparent. When I raise the gun to shoot instinctively, it tends to skew to the left when held in its most natural position so trying an aftermarket grip set might be interesting. I'm surprised to see what's available.

Its always a crap shoot with Classic. The ad made them sound practically brand new and I got lucky this time without paying a select fee. It actually is more or less new, but took a couple hours to get all the cosmo off. They only let me buy one extra magazine at the time I ordered, would like to pick up a couple more.

IMG_0174.jpg
    Last edited by AZAK; 02-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    LOOKING FOR: Postban Chicom (squareback) Rifle, '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    Nice. Yours looks to be at least a grade higher than mine. Luck of the draw.

Between you and me, the safety trigger doesn't work. I could pinch the sides and push the trigger back to drop the hammer without engaging that swinging lug.

Maybe I just don't understand how it's supposed to work?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11197 times
    Its about time they do away with those awful billboard markings and dumbass safety.
    MPiKM-72, boatma1 and Xygorak like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    how are the barrels on these tings?

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    I wonder what the notch on the left side trigger bar is for?

Just recently I was posting about how I'd like to have the safety holes and import marks welded over on my Gibbs imported Croatia sourced BFPU M57.

Seems like buying one of these Armamentos imports would be a less expensive way to scratch my "no saftey - no import marks - looks like a bring back - just the way it should be" itch. I think it would be easier to remove the import marks on these newest imports.

Personally I like the look of the pistol with the areas of finish removed - looks like blood might have gotten on it. Reminds me of my Yugo blood splotched mags.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    I usually don't need a perfect finish but for some reason this galls me. Of course, they have an excellent condition gun in the listing on the Classic site. Am pissed enough this a.m. to maybe to move it on and pay the lousy handpick extortion for another one . Haha. "Serenity now "

The notch is for the very low-tech magazine safety in the M57. It's a piece of spring steel that sticks in there to prevent the trigger from moving unless a mag is in the gun. As far as I know, no one likes this dumb feature. It drags on the magazines. I removed mine.
    MPiKM-72 and akraider like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3565 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RJSIXGUN View Post
    how are the barrels on these tings?
    Mine is like new.
    LOOKING FOR: Postban Chicom (squareback) Rifle, '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Do these M57s have the crest on the slide? Does anyone know how to date these? Thankjs

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3565 times
    Yes, they have the crest. Somebody someplace probably knows, but Classic said they couldn't pin down manufacturing dates reliably enough to determine C&R eligibility.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    Yes, they have the crest. Somebody someplace probably knows, but Classic said they couldn't pin down manufacturing dates reliably enough to determine C&R eligibility.
    There is usually a letter prefix on the M57 similar to the Zastava SKS and M70 rifles, but I've never seen a guide to the years those letter represent.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11197 times
    In case anyone was wondering, the crest consists of a torch with 5 flames that represent the 5 provinces of the former Yugoslavia. Its the same crest on rebuilt VZ24s, M24s, captured German 98ks, and M48 Mausers.
    DSC01836_edited.JPG
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    They added a torch to the crest in 1963 for a total of six. Sixth torch represented the Bosniaks.

My M57 has this version. Had a hell of a time getting a good image of it today.

Last edited by Richard W.; 02-08-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    Classic bumped the price and now sold out, so maybe I should just be happy with mine.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Yeah, hopefully Armamentos has another boat coming.

I tend to ignore the current Classic arms so I missed these, but on occasion back in the 2007/2008 time period I got some of my best deals from them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors