I brushed the parts clean then degreased them. After that I soaked them in Evaporust. After this photo was taken I then polished the rear of the firing pin where the rust had been – Evaporust had dissolved the rust but I wanted to make sure it was smooth. I ran fingernails over each piece and gently smoothed all the rough edges. Scrubbed the firing pin channel with a .17 caliber brush.
Parts after cleaning and evaporust treatment. They now work correctly and move smoothly:
Reassembly was pretty straightforward. The trickiest part was holding the firing pin down while the roll pin was installed.
While the slide was soaking I worked on the cosmolene infested frame. I removed the grips and ignorantly depressed the decocker to “watch” as it operated. “PING” was the sound my tinnitus hindered ears heard “somewhere in the mancave”. Drat. The right side decocker spring had departed.
Two days of searching for the missing spring with a magnet did not yield results. CZ99 forum searches revealed I was not the first to have this problem – DO NOT ACTIVATE THE DECOCKER LEVER WHILE THE GRIPS ARE REMOVED.
I learned the correct spring is 1 mm in thickness and is needed to counterbalance the slide lock. With the spring missing the slide will lock open each time you shoot – even if the mag is full. Not good.
I’d read where currently parts are not available from Century the current importer. EAA used to carry parts but are sold out. Who knows when I’ll find my lost spring? I want to shoot my “new” pistol.
I read where someone made a spring from .9 mm dental wire – fortunately they posted pictures of the spring they made because exploded diagram did not do a good job of representing this part. I dug through the materials I had and found a good base for a replacement spring – an AKM sear spring leftover from a semi-auto AKM build. It is 1.18mm thick.
I spent some careful time measuring and forming the bends in a vise. Once I got the length right the replacement spring fit very well. The replacement spring’s .18mm increased thickness seems to put a small amount of drag on the right decocking lever. I probably need to thin the spring a bit on the side that contacts the lever.
Fabricated a spring. I’m told the original was 1mm. The material I used was 1.18 mm. I might need to file it flatter – I can tell it rubs the grips. I cleaned it more thoroughly after this.
Once the fabricated spring was installed the slide lock, decocker and all other functions checked out.
Firing pin protruding the correct distance now
Suspect this number was some form of LE id
Centered the sights
I might see about reanimating the tritium, but might leave well enough alone.
Bought a new magazine for it. Dry functions all work as they should. Fabricated spring seems to work.
I scored a box of 9mm steel case TulAmmo at a local Wal-Mart (huzzah) and made time to test fire the CZ99 last weekend.
Firing commenced. The only issue was after two rounds on the first mag the mag fell to the ground. It is possible I released it. It was the first time a mag with rounds in it had been inserted since I took possession. The mag stayed in for the remaining 48 rounds.
Happy with the results. The centered sights seem pretty well centered. Can’t imagine why they arrived so out of adjustment.
Last 5 rounds. The black square is 1", the gridlines are .25".
I’m very happy my cheap pistol didn’t stutter and is not going to be “for display purposes only".
To me this is a functioning collector item. I'll be leaving the finish exactly as it is. I have another “CZ” in the collection for it to go with.
I need to put some more rounds downrange before I declare it “sound”, but it is off to a good start. It still smells like cosmo.