Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: CZ99 Yugoslavian 9mm Pistol – Back from the brink

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times

CZ99 Yugoslavian 9mm Pistol – Back from the brink

CZ99 Yugoslavian 9mm Pistol – Back from the brink

TL;DR – Bought an inexpensive, uncommon Yugoslavian pistol that didn’t work. Fixed it.

I’m much more a rifle shooter than a pistol shooter, but for some reason lately I’ve been craving more pistols. Like my rifles I like to collect things that I will actually use and shoot, but in most cases I try to purchase something that has some war history behind the design as well. Over the last few years I’ve been studying more about the Balkans War that started 20 years ago. As I have studied that war I get even more of an interest in firearms that were used in that conflict. The CZ99 pistol was used during that conflict. Some time later Iraq issued the CZ99 as well.

I’d given my only double column 9x19 pistol to my best friend years ago – he has since passed away but his family still has it. After 15 years I started to get a desire for another 9x19 pistol.

Like many of you I’d surf the gun auction sites when I had time. At one point last year I’d found a very nice TD Arms CZ99 listed for about $350. It was relisted several times. By the time I could justify the cost it was gone. Last week an unfired (since leaving factory) TD Arms sold for almost $700.

Last month I found a very beat up looking CZ99 listed. The auction photos were very low grade, but I could make out the Made in Yugoslavia and TD Arms importer markings. TD Arms was the first US company to import the design sometime in the 1991-1992 time period. I remember seeing them at local shows back then – the ambidextrous design had an appeal. About 3000 were imported before the war. The Balkans war stopped the import of the CZ99 pistol for some time.

I’d read a lot of very favorable reviews of post-war EZ9 and CZ999 pistols and I’d also seen others post “RUN” when people would ask about this pistol design and how contractors in Iraq weren’t impressed with them. Still, the design intrigued me.

It was obvious the pistol in the auction was quite used, which to me was cool since I dig the BFPU look. The seller described the action as “good” but the seller had a “you win it you own it” policy. I took the risk and threw a bid at it - $188. No one outbid me. At worst I could sell off the parts.

The seller packed it well and shipped it quickly. I was greeted by the odor of cosmolene when I first opened the box. I was pleased to find that the only import marks were the TD Arms markings. I’d learned Century has or recently had some used CZ99 pistols and I thought this one might have been marked by them. Century is known to apply their own serial number to firearms that already have a serial because redundant serial numbers are redundant redundant. Who knows what the story is on my pistol.

I’d obtained a manual for a very similar EZ9 pistol before the CZ99 arrived. I magnified the exploded view on a copier.

I spent time going over the pistol and learning how it operated. I like how the double and single action trigger break feels.

The finish had pitting from sweat – more on the left side than the right indicating a right handed shooter. The slide’s metal color was similar to the “henna” reddish color of Yugo AKM barrel components made in the same Zastava factory.

The front and rear sights were each drifted to the end of their adjustment. Not sure why, the barrel’s crown looks good. The sights have Tritium vials but they no longer glow.

Front sight too far left. There may be more damage to the front sight than I thought:

Rear sight too far right:

My CZ99 had a firing pin that wouldn’t move and was stuck down below where the hammer could strike it. Great – broken firing pin I thought. I then began to learn how hard parts were to come by since EAA stopped carrying the EZ9. I was beginning to get that sinking feeling I had purchased a “display model.”

I found a very low traffic CZ99 specific forum, joined, then began gleaning information.

I soaked the slide in PB Blaster. Kroil would have probably been better, but PB Blaster was already in the mancave.

After soaking I drove out the roll pin that holds the firing pin and extractor in place. I had to modify a roll pin punch to a smaller diameter to get one to fit correctly. Fortunately the roll pin was not damaged.

Driving out roll pin:

Roll pin removed:

Stuck firing pin:

Pin is not protruding above slide face:

After a few days of light tapping I finally got the firing pin to move forward, then using an AK cleaning kit punch I was able to push the firing pin out. You have to depress the firing pin lock while trying to move the firing pin. Getting the extractor out was a little tricky but it eventually was removed as well.

Firing pin now stuck past breechface - at least it did finally move:

Firing pin now recessed:

This is what the slide disgorged. It appears the firing pin had been rusted to the slide at the rear – probably from sweat. Lots of dirt, grease, rust and neglect here.

Finally out. What a mess. You can see the rust on the large end:

In need of a good cleaning:

Took some fiddling to get the firing pin lock out:

At last:
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times
    I brushed the parts clean then degreased them. After that I soaked them in Evaporust. After this photo was taken I then polished the rear of the firing pin where the rust had been – Evaporust had dissolved the rust but I wanted to make sure it was smooth. I ran fingernails over each piece and gently smoothed all the rough edges. Scrubbed the firing pin channel with a .17 caliber brush.

Parts after cleaning and evaporust treatment. They now work correctly and move smoothly:

Reassembly was pretty straightforward. The trickiest part was holding the firing pin down while the roll pin was installed.

While the slide was soaking I worked on the cosmolene infested frame. I removed the grips and ignorantly depressed the decocker to “watch” as it operated. “PING” was the sound my tinnitus hindered ears heard “somewhere in the mancave”. Drat. The right side decocker spring had departed.

Two days of searching for the missing spring with a magnet did not yield results. CZ99 forum searches revealed I was not the first to have this problem – DO NOT ACTIVATE THE DECOCKER LEVER WHILE THE GRIPS ARE REMOVED.

I learned the correct spring is 1 mm in thickness and is needed to counterbalance the slide lock. With the spring missing the slide will lock open each time you shoot – even if the mag is full. Not good.

I’d read where currently parts are not available from Century the current importer. EAA used to carry parts but are sold out. Who knows when I’ll find my lost spring? I want to shoot my “new” pistol.

I read where someone made a spring from .9 mm dental wire – fortunately they posted pictures of the spring they made because exploded diagram did not do a good job of representing this part. I dug through the materials I had and found a good base for a replacement spring – an AKM sear spring leftover from a semi-auto AKM build. It is 1.18mm thick.

I spent some careful time measuring and forming the bends in a vise. Once I got the length right the replacement spring fit very well. The replacement spring’s .18mm increased thickness seems to put a small amount of drag on the right decocking lever. I probably need to thin the spring a bit on the side that contacts the lever.

Missing spring:

Fabricated a spring. I’m told the original was 1mm. The material I used was 1.18 mm. I might need to file it flatter – I can tell it rubs the grips. I cleaned it more thoroughly after this.

Once the fabricated spring was installed the slide lock, decocker and all other functions checked out.

Resassembled

Firing pin protruding the correct distance now

Suspect this number was some form of LE id

Centered the sights

I might see about reanimating the tritium, but might leave well enough alone.

Bought a new magazine for it. Dry functions all work as they should. Fabricated spring seems to work.

I scored a box of 9mm steel case TulAmmo at a local Wal-Mart (huzzah) and made time to test fire the CZ99 last weekend.

Firing commenced. The only issue was after two rounds on the first mag the mag fell to the ground. It is possible I released it. It was the first time a mag with rounds in it had been inserted since I took possession. The mag stayed in for the remaining 48 rounds.

Happy with the results. The centered sights seem pretty well centered. Can’t imagine why they arrived so out of adjustment.

Last 5 rounds. The black square is 1", the gridlines are .25".

I’m very happy my cheap pistol didn’t stutter and is not going to be “for display purposes only".

To me this is a functioning collector item. I'll be leaving the finish exactly as it is. I have another “CZ” in the collection for it to go with.

I need to put some more rounds downrange before I declare it “sound”, but it is off to a good start. It still smells like cosmo.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Great Thread. Glad you were able to breath life back into it.

MPiKM-72 likes this.
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8492 times
    I didn't realize how much those resembled a sig.

Nice job.
    MPiKM-72 and MacSr63 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    always nice to see some TLC bring one back
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Excellent.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    Hold yourself, and others, accountable for good behavior.

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times
    Pistol has fired over 500 rounds since I took delivery. No malfunctions.

Finally scored a Mile Dragic M-94 Holster for this pistol.

It is pretty much a blatant copy of the Bianchi UM-84. In pictures both holsters look the same, but up close the Mile Dragic quality doesn't quite match the Bianchi quality. The main difference I see is the plastic trigger guard reinforcement on the Bianchi is omitted for a simpler strap with two rivets.

The CZ99 won't fit the Bianchi Um-84 - the ambi-decocker is too wide for it. The pistol fits the M-94 holster just fine. I've also seen M-94 holsters in Serb M93 camo, Woodland camo, Desert camo and black.

MacSr63 and 43m1garand like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times
    CZ99 tutone in Bosnian hands - Sarajevo 1993

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Hell yeah! Great write up with accompanying pictures! I really dig that you're leaving it as is after the application of some TLC. Thank you for sharing!
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    "The Rivet Bastard"... Coming to a theater near you.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    How did you get the extractor out if you don't mind me asking?

I've got an EZ-9 that I've been tinkering with on and off and still haven't quite figured it out. I really like it but it aggravates me to no small extent with the amount of times it fails to extract, especially cause I keep it often in my car, for self defense in some worse-case scenario type deal. Thankfully with gold dot hollow points it functions fine, but it jams too damn much with just about everything else. With what I'm guessing are hotter and heavier loads, like the 124 grain Winchester NATO loads, and the GECO and German MAN 124 grain rounds, there's at least a glimmer of hope (1 jam out of 50-100 rounds if clean), but with the cheaper 115 grain Winchester and Federal loads it jams like once every 5 rounds if not more. It's just ridiculous. I polished feed ramps and chamber some, took the firing pin out and cleaned it, even tested out different strength recoil springs, and I still can't get the thing to work as it should. For something advertised as really reliable it has been really disappointing. And reliability aside I really like everything about it. Any idea what the cause might be?

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times
    Haris122 - I don't mind you asking at all.

I used Craftsman pointed probes to remove the extractor. The slide's roll pin has to be removed first, but you do not have to remove the firing pin.

Using one probe I pried the extractor away from the firing pin area and towards the right side of the slide (right side when assembed). While doing that I used the other probe to wedge the extractor up (techincally "down" when assembled) and lift it out of the slide. Three hands would have made it easier.

Installation of the extractor is a snap - literally. You just press it into the slide and it snaps in place. Reinstall roll pin and you are done.

I'm not sure why you are having extraction problems. It is interesting that the Gold Dots run well. Maybe it does need hot ammo.

After cleaning the barrel, try rubbing the chamber area with a cotton swab. If cotton strands get pulled off the swab you might have a rough spot.

Are you sure it is not an ejection problem?

Initially I put Tula steel 9mm ammo through mine, but since then I have used Monarch (PPU) and PPU ammunition in mine - Still no malfunctions with the first CZ99.

I bought a 2nd CZ99 from Coles Distributing (import marks hidden on the barrel - very cool) and have no issues with it either. Coles did a really good job cleaning the pistol before I got it - I've never taken it down. I figure since Serbian ammo is available for the Yugoslavian firearms PPU is pretty much all I put through them.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 09-01-2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Inusuit and MacSr63 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I don't know if it could be an ejection problem instead, but I do know the majority of the time the empty casing is still in the chamber when the jam occurs. And sometimes it takes me even more than one try just to get that casing clawed out by the extractor once I clear out everything else and close the slide on it to eject it. My next move might be to cut the recoil spring some, little by little, until I hopefully get to the point that it extracts and ejects all ammo reliably.

I went a few days ago with an assortment of different strength wolf gunsprings and the original recoil spring, and after messing with some of them yet again, I got the original spring in there, and from then on it shot the MEN 124 grain rounds perfectly the rest of the session. Not 1 jam in close to 200 rounds. I thought finally it works right. Then yesterday, cause I only had 1 box of the MEN left, I bought a box of Browning 115 grain with it, and the jams started up again. 3-4 with the Browning and 1 with the MEN in 100 rounds. So I'm thinking it's something with the extractor, but the recoil spring contributes to it as well somehow. I don't know why the recoil spring would have anything to do with extraction, but it definitely seems to affect it some. Cutting some off the spring would theoretically just slow down the movement of the slide back into battery right?

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    And to add to that, I've fired PPU out of mine too, and it too jams up in it relatively frequently.

Member #
    Liked
    6922 times
    Next time you are shooting it and the issue occurs can you provide a picture of the malfunction - taken before you try to clear it?

Also, take a pic of the extrator - viewed from the bottom of the slide - kind of like what I posted above.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Will do, next time it happens. I took it out again today, uncleaned, and bought a Federal 115 grain 100 pack, thinking it would jam up instantly, and it ran without fail through the full 100 rounds. I even switched between different recoil springs, just to see if I could get it to jam up, but none of them caused it to. Usually with those it tends to have quite a few of those jams. Yesterday I got some Browning 115 grains and the thing jammed up 3-4 times with them, in 50 rounds, and then once more with the 50 MEN 124 grain rounds. I guess I should've tried the Browning today again, but I figured the Federal would do the same, especially having been left uncleaned. In the end I still clipped a little bit off of 2 of the recoil springs, including the factory one, just to see if that would affect it anyhow, and it didn't that time. It would be sweet if I could get this thing to start being reasonably reliable, cause everything else about it I really dig, especially with me being left handed and all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors