CZ99 Yugoslavian 9mm Pistol – Back from the brink - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: CZ99 Yugoslavian 9mm Pistol – Back from the brink

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    I’m not familiar with the Browning brand ammunition. Is it some kind of rebrand on another manufacturer’s ammo, kind of like the Colt branded Russian ammo (that is just wrong…)?

Steel case?

Brass case?
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    The box looks like this stuff, Browning Ammunition: Ammo Detail except instead of 147grain, it was 115 grain. It's brass cased, apparently made in the US (not far from me actually, if the box is telling the truth), and has the browning deer head headstamp on it, so I'm thinking it's not re-branded. Goes for about $12-14 plus tax at the local places that carry it here, which is the same price as for most other 115 grain FMJ 9mm around here, like Blazer, Magtech, Federal, Winchester, and such.
    Last edited by Haris122; 09-02-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    I'd read internet rumors that a holster for a synthetic framed SIG 2022 9mm pistol would work with a CZ99.

I took a risk on an obsolete Eagle G-Code holster for a SIG 2022.

I'm very happy to report that in this case the internet rumors are true. CZ99 Pistol fits and locks in place properly in this G-Code holster made for a SIG 2022.

Still need to get some G-Code RTI mounting hardware for it.

43m1garand likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Hey MPiKM-72, are you by any chance interested in selling one of your CZ-99's? In case you are, how much would you want for it? I like the EZ-9 design, but I don't think I can get mine to work the way it should, so I would definitely like to have an EZ-9 or CZ-99 that actually works reliably instead, that's why I ask. I tried to PM you first, but it said your mailbox was full so I couldn't send it directly that way.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haris122 View Post
    Hey MPiKM-72, are you by any chance interested in selling one of your CZ-99's? In case you are, how much would you want for it? I like the EZ-9 design, but I don't think I can get mine to work the way it should, so I would definitely like to have an EZ-9 or CZ-99 that actually works reliably instead, that's why I ask. I tried to PM you first, but it said your mailbox was full so I couldn't send it directly that way.
    I'm pretty attached to the ones I own, but this place began offering them after Coles shut down. Import marked on the barrel.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787218412

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Yeah, I’ve been checking some of those out on gun-broker. Might have to go ahead and try bidding on one, and hope I don’t end up with another Lemon.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    832 times
    Nice pistols ! I’m not familiar with this one, looks like a Have a hole in my Yugo collection I need to fill.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    May Fortune find you worthy of it’s company, and Death unable to find you at all....

Member #
    Liked
    8062 times
    Is there still a problem getting mags for them?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MacSr63 View Post
    Nice pistols ! I’m not familiar with this one, looks like a Have a hole in my Yugo collection I need to fill.
    They were debuted at a US SHOT show in the late 1980's. The design combines features from the uncommon Walther P88 and the Sig 226.

They were first imported by an outfit known as TD Arms. Those came with factory tritium night sights.

Then the war happened.

Most of the surplus ones are from the period before or at the beginning of the war. Those will have Made In Yugoslavia on the slide but won't have tritium sights.

The surplus ones are coming from Israel. They apparently bought a bunch. Israel even produced a licensed copy of the CZ99 as did South Africa.

A lot of Non-Aligned Nations that did business with the former Yugoslavia seem to have them.

After the war it seems every importer in the US took a turn importing them.

The design is very wide because of the decock levers. It is a beefy pistol but the aluminum frame keeps weight down. I love the trigger on mine.

I bought some used Sig tritium sights to see if they fit. Keep forgetting to check to see if they do.
    MacSr63 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Is there still a problem getting mags for them?

Back when I bought my first CZ99 mags were hard to find.

Nowadays they are available. $23 per mag for new Serbian production.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/military-surplus-zastava-arsenal-cz999-9mm-15-round-magazine.html

Holsters and spare parts are the main challenges for these pistols now. EAA used to carry spare parts, but no more. I'd love to get a replacement set of decocker springs to replace my WESCOG spring.

SIG 2022 holsters work.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 10-25-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    You could also modify some more common types of handgun magazines to fit them, it just takes some precision (and it helps if you have at least one original mag to use as a template). When I bought my EZ-9 (stupid Lemon), the gun came with one factory magazine, and 2 surplus M9 magazines that were kind of modified to fit in the EZ-9. I tried to fine tune those magazines a little more, and bought another 3 M9 surplus mags (one of which I screwed up) and got them to work. I think they work about as good as the factory mags, in that I don't have any more jams with them, than I do the factory mags, however that's a bit of a moot point seeing how I get a ton of failures to extract with the EZ-9 anyhow.

I ended up bidding on 2 different CZ-99's on gunbroker. I got outbid on the nicer one, that I initially bid on, but I did win an "Ugly Gun" Special one that's got a good amount of pitting on the slide. I'd still be happy with it though if it actually works reliably, and not like the EZ-9.

I'll try to post some pics of it when I get it.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8062 times
    Not interested into backyard modifications. Don't want to deal with "kinda" and "fine tuning" or "I think it's about as good as". I don't want to fiddle to get things to work. I want to buy the gun and shoot it. I don't even care if it's completely missing it's finish. I'm only concerned with correct, and proper function. This goes for parts as well. If it can't be easily fixed.... adios!

Its either made professionally for that firearm or I don't need either one.

Last edited by Arik; 10-26-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I'm cheap cause I don't mind potentially doing small modifications on items to get them to work, if the factory items are too expensive. Sometimes that backfires though, and I end up spending more money on trying to fix something, than just buying something that works straight away. $22 or so for one of those mags isn't too bad, but back when I could only find them listed for $35-36 per mag, I was more likely to get 3 M9 mags and modify them instead for the price of one of the factory mags.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    Back when I bought my TDI import BFPU example there were almost none of these pistols on the market.

Its amazing to have examples with hidden import marks and military/police service on the market now - that is what I wanted in the first place.
    Arik likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    I remeber reading a review of this pistol back in the late 80's and it got pretty good press.
    Unfortunately when the article was written, the Cz 99 was banned from import.
    I bet it would have had a big following.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors