• 1 Post By AKMike333
  • 1 Post By bigdude

Thread: Product review: Bonesteel Arms VZ58/2008 handguard/rail

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Product review: Bonesteel Arms VZ58/2008 handguard/rail

Bottom Line: GREAT NEW PRODUCT

I bought this new offering from CNC Warrior. It’s exactly what I’ve been searching for since buying my first VZ2008 and deciding to convert it to tactical/ergonomic mode.

Co-witness with iron sights — A big deal for me and the most important factor in making the purchase. Through a communication on this forum, Chris Bonesteel said that the product could co-witness a little with iron sights, at least a little if smallest (lowest mounting) red-dot was used. I already had the Corwin Arms upper handguard/rail, after being told by them that it would allow for a co-witness (it did not), so I was able to make some rough measurements on the Bonesteel photos and compare them to actual measurements on the Corwin and concluded that, yes, the Bonesteel would indeed sit lower over the piston and come closer to a co-witness (I’d guess about 1/8” lower than the Corwin). So, I rolled the dice and bought it. I was right. I mounted a SIG Romeo red-dot on the thinnest picatinny mount I had (the less expensive mounts…like you’d get with a Primary Arms product…are made with a thinner base and therefore allow the optic to sit lower). The result is a very acceptable lower 1/3 view of iron sights. Note, however, that when I tried a heavier/thicker mount…like a LaRue…I could barely see BUIS when zeroed for 100m, i.e., when the rear sight is sitting at its lowest point. A+ (with the right set-up)

Weight and size — This product is extremely light and compact and fits “small” in the hand when rail covers are left off. A+

Mounting an optic — Notwithstanding the CNC product description, the top rail is uber secure (another clarification that Chris offered). I suspect the erroneous description was lifted from that of other products, like a regular AK, where the top rail simply replaces the existing top handguard, which simply covers the gas tube and can rotate somewhat. The Bonesteel VZ top rail is inherently secure, due to the unique VZ design. However, there are four additional set screws for added stability; very tight. A+

Fit & functionality — The fit of the lower handguard was also very secure; no movement at all. I had a challenge at first getting the plastic piece at the rear of the lower unit to fit properly, but Chris helped me out there too and a little filing solved that. It accommodates MLOK products as well as regular picatinny stuff. I’m a minimalist, so rail covers are all I need. Speaking of which, the rail covers are unique, functional, low-profile and sorta funky. I like them, but my personal preference is a combination of the Bonesteel covers on the bottom, UTG-like covers on the sides, and a ladder-style cover on the top. I put my hand as far forward as the rifle’s design allows and I find that this hybrid approach gives me the best combination of comfort, coverage and heat protection. Preferences will vary. A+

Value — Price is a little high for a VZ accessory, but in line with comparable products and offers better value for what you get. I do wish mine had come with mounting instructions with photos. Thankfully, Chris was there to help. A

Range time — Only about a hundred rounds so far but performance has been stellar. No movement and optic retained zero. A+

Conclusion — If you want a high quality front end that is light, small, tight, co-witness capable and offers flexibility in attachments, this is the best I’ve come across. 1 Standard e-mail view.jpg2 Standard e-mail view.jpg3 Standard e-mail view.jpg5 Standard e-mail view.jpg4 Standard e-mail view.jpgupdate
    I should have clarified THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT FROM BONESTEEL.
    Last edited by AKMike333; 03-06-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: clarify product
    otus and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6930 times
    Looks like a nice product.

I'd missed out on the NEA rails when they were available - no longer manufactured.

How recently did you obtain it and from where?

CNC Warrior seems to enjoy having a website where everything but wacky muzzle brakes are out of stock.
    scottyb likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I got it two weeks ago. Currently in stock at CNC War.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I also purchased the new "Skeleton" Rail System by Bonesteel Arms. But in order for me to absolute co-witness with the iron sights, I had to modify the upper rail. My optic mounts directly to the rail, no picatinny mount, so it can sit as low as possible. I found a pistol mounting plate that had the same mounting pattern as my optic and welded it directly to the upper rail. My optic is a Leica Tempus 2.0 MOA red dot.

In my opinion, when mounting an optic to the VZ-58, the only option is the upper rail. I have seen those dust cover mounts which are a joke and the RS Regulate side mounts which are way too heavy and sit too high. For some reason VZ-58 owners like to mount EOTechs to the upper rail. EOTech is a good option for an AR-15 but looks horrendous on a VZ-58.

Last edited by bigdude; 11-28-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6930 times
    Thanks for posting those pics.

Me lika Leica.

Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors