• 3 Post By Wilhelm
  • 1 Post By Nathan
  • 1 Post By Bret

Thread: SER IV ORF VZ58 where do I start

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

SER IV ORF VZ58 where do I start

I'll try to make this short...I was part of the group buy, poop happens, move away, gun put up, pull it out years later, find out there's problems, find out ORF is no more, gun back in storage, new commifornia laws require I make it safe/featureless (idiots), now I have the bug to get it running like a Swiss watch.

So been reading and trying to figure things out with a bunch of posts that no longer have pics, get frustrated and now im here asking for help. The 1st & only problem I know of is a feeding issue (feeds nothing, zip, nada). Some say its a low feed ramp, some say mag issue, some say no half moon next to bolt hold open is the issue, some say lack of bevel on bottom of bolt rails is the fix, which brings me to "omg wtf???"

I am not a smith or machinist but I am a tinkerer. If you are like me, when you buy a used car you go through it, change fluids (all), spark plugs, hoses, etc. You do what you can & if there is something big call a mechanic. I want to go through and do what I can, where should I start and what else should I check? And what mechanic do you recommend?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Here are some pics
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    On mine, the feed ramp is definitely to low. I have thought about sending it out to have it built up. I may try bonding a shim on there to get it up a little. I am wondering if any one else has fix this problem and how.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My plan is to send it to someone to tig weld a bead accross, doesn't need much and i can weld but not tig and i want to find someone who is a smith and a welder. But I do want to go through and take care of the easy stuff so it doesnt cost me as much as the gun did originally....btw, i was ChillyWilly when i ordered but that account no longer exists or i used an email i no longer have, so i created this new account.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone got a suggestion?

Member #
    Liked
    1635 times
    Not to be smart but......buy a Czech made one and be done with it.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 08-21-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    mookie, 10Gauge and jrsuds like this.

Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    I would check with Troy Sellers at In range. See if it's something he can tackle. I know he works on VZ58's. He has a vendor forum on this site.

Nathan
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3924 times
    An especially good idea since I think In Range built all the SER series (if I recall correctly).
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    ORF VZ58 receivers were difficult. first one I had was a vary early serial in the 2 hundred range. one of the many problems with it was the bore where the barrel went into the receiver more than two thousands larger than the largest barrel I could find. it also had a taper that was two thousands back to front that would have had to be reemed out making it even bigger. so I called them. they had me send that receiver back and they sent me another. that one had its own problems and had to built then rebuilt it was a total fiasco. the builder who fixed it in the end put in a tabbed bolt from Czechmate and re arranged everything that was out of spec. it works now. still have it but bought a czech made gun that has no issues. problem solved.

Vendors

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    An especially good idea since I think In Range built all the SER series (if I recall correctly).
    ORF built those!!!!!!! as with anything else they did....it will need work......
    "Youth is wasted on the young!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    In your pic's, the gun looks like you haven't even tried to fire it yet. However, the middle pic link, I can see some sharp edges that need a bit off attention, pull out the bolt and carried, and lock in a mag with a few rounds in it. As you push a round out of the mag by hand you will see what I'm talking about. You will see on both sides of the bottom of the rails where you need to put a bit of a radius, otherwise those sharp edges just dig into the shell case, especially if you shoot brass.
    I built 2 vz's on these receivers, both run like a top, but took some tinkering to get them there.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    ChillyWilly72,
    Just an FYI the ferrule is missing on your lower handguard, I guess you could start with that.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Honestly I'd be tempted to just get a CNC warrior receiver.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    But CNC Warrior vz.58 receivers are $600 plus the transfer. For $1140 delivered the OP could get a real Czech built factory vz.58 that's California compliant. That would definitely be worth the additional $540 in my opinion.
    Podavach likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3405 times
    Dead thread. OP has not logged on in 8 months.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors