Practical Iron sights: H&K sights on my Bulgy 74
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Practical Iron sights: H&K sights on my Bulgy 74

I just can't shoot an AK quickly and accurately with the factory sights. What I really want is AR15 sights but I haven't found a way to get the genuine article installed on an AK. I saw this thread which is close but still no cigar for me: https://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/vie...103&highlight=

Possibly second best, my builder Keith Nels at Tac47industries will custom install H&K sights. He does a nice job with it and I think the gas tube-mounted front sight makes it especially trick.

Here are pics of one of his H&K sight installs on a Saiga, how does this look for practical iron sights? I am close to going with this setup over a Krebs rail because a) I'm not ready to go optics and b) I really admire the simple utility of this. My Bulgarian AK-74 kit is in for build now so I need to make my decision ASAP...

5.45x39 Plum Bulgarian
    "My other gun is a 1911"

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Had the same problem with AK open rear sights with my 59 year old eyes! I really like receiver aperture sights best and have used them since my teenage years.

I have installed M1 Carbine sights and Springfield O3A3 rear sights on spare dust covers and use them on my AKMs and AK74s. They work great; for me an aperture sight is the only way to go.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just can't see using anything installed on the dust cover.
    Arm Yourself With Knowledge
    Proper Diet Method Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I've run up into this many times... I wish there were some way to make the dust cover hinged like the krink without running into many issues. I suppose if you were able to make the cover a really tight fit, there might be zero-holding ability...otherwise, I wouldnt have much confidence in it.

Of course, this is all just speculation. Really would be best to have someone's first hand experience on this. It looks cool anyway.
    Better to burn out than to fade away.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    tromix puts those sights on a lot of thier weapons. tromix is one of the best out there. if i were putting those sights on there, i'd send it to them. don't know i'd trust anyone else to do it right.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I wouldn't use the original Bulgy dust cover . To thin . Either a Saiga or one of the heavy Chinese ones . Will

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Keith assured me that the gun DOES retain a zero after a fiedstrip/reassembly, but thanks for that tip on the heavier dust cover. I'll definitely check into this. Any source ideas for either a Saiga or heavy Chinese dustcover?

From a "keep it reversible" viewpoint it might make sense to retain the original serials numbers-matching dustcover unmolested.

Then again, I was planning to lose the front sight block/bayonet lug and go with an A2-style cage hider..... However I will retain the FSB in case I HAD to put it back to stock (for resale, etc.)

Speaking of resale, what am I doing to my resale value with these tactical mods?
    5.45x39 Plum Bulgarian
    "My other gun is a 1911"

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you're SOL on a Saiga cover , I've never been able to find spare's . I can sell you a Chinese one for $30.00 . As for re-sale , i think you'll be narrowing your market .

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 545poison
    Keith assured me that the gun DOES retain a zero after a fiedstrip/reassembly, but thanks for that tip on the heavier dust cover. I'll definitely check into this. Any source ideas for either a Saiga or heavy Chinese dustcover?
    How?

What about after ten field strips?
    Arm Yourself With Knowledge
    Proper Diet Method Instructor

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I've used them on a rifle that Will built and it worked fine, but I haven't had a lot of exposure to them over the long haul, on an AK anyway.

I actually do much better with the standard sights vs. the HK diopter style, I've used them extensively on HK firearms and I hate them.

Honestly, and I know that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I think you'd be better off saving the money you would be investing in this and going with a quality red dot set up that allowed you to co-witness with the irons.

My zwei pfennigs......

http://colonialshooting.com/

You can reach me directly at templarm4carbine at gmail.com

TheAKForum Site Staff, Retired

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I've used them on a rifle that Will built and it worked fine, but I haven't had a lot of exposure to them over the long haul, on an AK anyway.

I actually do much better with the standard sights vs. the HK diopter style, I've used them extensively on HK firearms and I hate them.

Honestly, and I know that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I think you'd be better off saving the money you would be investing in this and going with a quality red dot set up that allowed you to co-witness with the irons.

My zwei pfennigs......
    I wouldn't put them on an increasingly hard to get 74 . We put them on Saiga's all day long , but you're basicly starting at ground zero with them . Templar makes a great point , install the side rail and use a dot optic .

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Can someone recommend the best low-priced red dot that would work well on a side rail?

I see pics of everyone at the Vickers class with their Aimpoint Micros on Ultimaks which is an awesome setup but I can't afford the $600 outlay for that right now. Maybe down the road as I get more addicted...

According to Keith from tac47industries, the most versatile of all is the Krebs rail which comes with AR sights and is ready for a future optic. But that's nearly $300 itself... And would putting that on an increasingly rare plum bulgy 74 be ill-advised too? I can't tell how the Krebs attaches at the tang, but if it mounts into the stock I wouldn't be modifying the original Bulgy stock. I am going to use a (much-preferred) plum K-var NATO length stock for this build and retain the original stock

My concept is to build this 74 for optimum practical use yet keep everything reversible and all original parts with the gun in case of future resale.

I'm still on the fence about optics vs. a nice aperture sight. I am not a huge fan of H&K sights due to the small apertures and far prefer the more open peep of AR15 sights myself. But by changing the drum to an MP5 drum you get the large aperture sizes of the AR sights. So that sweetens the H&K sights to be pretty much the equal of AR15 sights.
    5.45x39 Plum Bulgarian
    "My other gun is a 1911"

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Jacket
    I wouldn't use the original Bulgy dust cover . To thin . Either a Saiga or one of the heavy Chinese ones . Will
    Is the yugo dust cover different? I don't have a normal AK on hand to compare to but Apex has Yugo AK47 dust covers for $15.

My M64 has a very stout dust cover but I doubt the Apex one is that solid. Mybe I'll swap it out, heh heh.
    5.45x39 Plum Bulgarian
    "My other gun is a 1911"

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    My KTR-03's sights survived thousands of rounds and one jeep dragging incident. But like the Galil and Valmet, it's a different animal entirely.

Red jacket and Tromix have been doing the HK mods to AK's for a number of years, I haven't heard of any complains about high use, but I haven't seen high use people chime in on these threads either.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

WTB: Type 1 buttstock

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I spent the cheese and got the Krebs rail on my Saiga-308. I had the barrel cut back to 18" and front sight block repinned. I like the extended sight radius for using irons, no need to move it back to the gas block.

I met the guys from Krebs at this past SAR show and they were really nice. They really spent the time to talk with me and offer to install if for free if I had any problems. Since I have always liked their stuff, I splurged and got it. I also got their Saiga-12 ghost ring set up for my S-12 build. The best way to support a manufacturer is to spend the cash on their goods.

It is very well made and thought out. I can see why it cost what it does. It is made up of several different parts that all bolt together. It has several adjustment points, so it should fit any AK. It locks to the rear by using the rear stock screw. The guys from Krebs suggested that I use JB Weld to set it so there is no wiggle. The also stated to wax or use a release agent on the bolt to it can be still be removed. Basically, it is best to bed the screw to eliminate wiggle and zeroing problems.

I love the rear sight, it addresses one of the biggest problems on the AK system in my mind. I haven't run it through the ringer yet, so I don't want to say it is the greatest thing ever yet. But it definitely is very cool. I am really thinking of mounting a Trijicon Accupoint on it, but I would like to see their new products that are to be released at the SHOT show in a couple of weeks. Supposedly, they reworked the Accupoint line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors