Adjustable gas block, who's using it? Thoughts?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dixy2k

Thread: Adjustable gas block, who's using it? Thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Adjustable gas block, who's using it? Thoughts?

Hi! Looking for information regarding adjustable gas blocks, who's using them, what models and what are your thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    1471 times
    They are used if primarily running suppressed. Most people put up with their rifles being overgassed.

I believe the most popular gas adjustment tool is made by KNS.
    The other one is DAG-13 from Definitive Arms.

There are other variants to accomplish the same thing, but I am not a fan of how they are mounted. The Gas block is acting as a clamp on the barrel held in place by two screws. I am not saying it is not a good implementation, just saying I don't like it. See Venom Tactical.
    sim97fan3 likes this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3716 times
    The KNS adjustable gas piston is a good item for a excessively over gassed AK system

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    agreed. usually for suppressor use or to alleviate over-gassing.
    on my side i would add that i don't like any of them that are clamp-ons.
    to fix over-gassed rifle i would rather go with KNS adjustable piston. Easy and reversible mode, also 922r part is always a plus in my book.
    one thing about adjustable gas block that some people don't realize - it'll tie you up into one maybe two particular loads/brands of ammo. if you use selection or buy ammo from variety of sources and availability you might find that your 'perfect' adjustment for one type won't be so perfect for another. there are hotter and cooler 7.62x39 loads. some of it is hunting stuff some of it is military-ish spec. it'll all introduce a degree of variance. you might find yourself dealing with FTFs and FTEs more than you'd like.
    as far as suppressor use, if you not completely stuck with particular one you might want to consider getting a OSS Helix. they function very well with AKs and their flow-through non-baffle design eliminates overgassing pretty much completely or nearly completely. removes the need for adjustable gas block or tailored loads.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 06-05-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Beyond using them for suppressors, one thing I’ve thought is they’d be a good use in large caliber Vepr like 7.62x54. A lot of them seem really over gassed and the large caliber means additional recoil and wear & tear on especially the tail of the bolt carrier. You’ve seen in some cases where there is pre mature wear and damage. I think even in something like a PSL it would make it more versatile to shoot heavier ball ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    1471 times
    A 14.5" barrel should also be good for that purpose, although it cannot be adjustable anymore. Adding a better recoil spring will accomplish a great deal of mitigation.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors