• 1 Post By Stottman
  • 1 Post By scottyb
  • 2 Post By AKBLUE

Thread: ak in 308? opinions

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

ak in 308? opinions

hi guys i'd like to have an opinion about aks chambered in 308, i am considering one but unfortunately cannot find anyone in my network of friends

use just as a range toy shooting up to 300 yrds, so prably it would have a 20inch barrel

how is recoil, accuracy and loudness? does the platform fit the heavier bullet? isn't overgassed? (like my norinco in 223)

in my safe i have a "tacticool" norinco in 223 and an sks

don't have a ton of money to put it so probably it would be a valmet petra, saiga or molot
    Last edited by nikk; 11-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    What Country are you in?

I've only had experience with one .308 Kalashnikov and that is the Galil 329. It has an 18" barrel and a folding metal stock. Never really enjoyed shooting it so it became a safe queen. I love shooting the same rifle(Galil 386) in .223, though, so it was just the recoil, I suppose, that I didn't like. It also has some trigger slap that makes my finger numb after a while. Not sure why the .223 version doesn't do that. Maybe a bit overgassed in .308?

If they are available, you should consider the M1A or FAL in .308.

IMG_20191018_100857699_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by jjjxlr8; 11-04-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    scottyb likes this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    I have a Saiga in 308 w/AK stock, pistol grip/trigger conversion kit.. It shoots fine. No problems.
    otus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

ems

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I've got a .308 ACE and an M77, both are a blast to shoot. I briefly owned a saiga .308 but didn't like it nearly as much

Member #
    Liked
    8303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nikk View Post
    hi guys i'd like to have an opinion about aks chambered in 308, i am considering one but unfortunately cannot find anyone in my network of friends

use just as a range toy shooting up to 300 yrds, so prably it would have a 20inch barrel

how is recoil, accuracy and loudness? does the platform fit the heavier bullet? isn't overgassed? (like my norinco in 223)

in my safe i have a "tacticool" norinco in 223 and an sks

don't have a ton of money to put it so probably it would be a valmet petra, saiga or molot
    Had a Saiga. It was OK.

For laudness I wore hearing protection. Can't speak to over gassing because i never pay attention to that, it has no effect on function. Yes you can use heavier bullets

Member #
    Liked
    1078 times
    I have a 23 inch barrel VEPR in .308 and although a nice rifle, I prefer shooting my STG-58.

Have no problem recommending the VEPR, a really nice rifle.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3964 times
    Big-cartridge VEPRs are fine, but my vote for a favorite-to-shoot .308 battle rifle aligns with a couple other posts - FAL of one type or another.
    scottyb likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    While I agree with AZAK on the preference for a FAL, I believe the Saiga, M77, or VEPR are righteous alternatives to the much more pricey (in the US, anyway) Valmet or Galil. I have shot both an 16" Saiga (modified and in normal AK rear-end furniture) with an AK74 muzzle comp (.30 caliber size - large expansion chamber), and it's a pussy cat to fire. The M77 with the 20" barrel had the long slender M76 or SVD style birdcage flash-hider - which tends to wake me up more, though I did hot find its recoil offensive. The M77 was more comfortable to shoulder, and was heavier, which may account for some of the felt recoil mitigation. Net-net, both were good; both were solid and reliable, and both were moderately loud (louder than M43 - but then, you'd expect it to be...).

If you like AK's and want one in another caliber, the .308's are every bit an AK. No, the platform does not suffer any issues - the receiver is just a bit bigger (longer) and the front trunion area a bit beefier, to accommodate the longer, more powerful cartridge.

If you want a fall-in-love-with-it .308 main battle rifle, find a FAL that tolerates your budget. Even the Century (cough, sputter...) builds with the FAL receiver and L1A1 parts kits and the muzzle castrated are tolerable. You can have a decent smith reactive the muzzle (thread and cut the key notch) later on. You will need a specialized tool to replace the thumbhole stock (don't try it without that tool - it can be done but it's sooooo not worth the pain). FAL's rock.
    otus likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times
    I have owned and fired a few over the years-

Various Yugo/Serbian M77s, and Galils.

Both were reliable. I don't remember the Galil ARM recoil being horrible at all. I have an ACE now, and it is great.

The Yugos, it was weird. The rifle was great. Very light recoil for a .308, and normally I hate the fixed Yugo stock.. But it was very pleasant to shoot. The RPK variant, not so much for some reason. Probably the bipod, and the way recoil bounded back.

Saigas, there are now "factory" hi cap mags for them, but I can't imagine they are going to be cheap.

FALs and G-3s are both decent. The thing that they really have/had going for them is they were cheap. That has largely dried up for the FAL though, so what are you left with? Not much. A take down lever that that will shotgun the rifle, and is located close to the selector? Sign me up......

Member #
    Liked
    5275 times
    The only thing I do not like about my Galil in .308 is the hideous trigger slap. I have polished out the trigger components and that helped some what but I think the gas piston is what needs modified. Might have to get a USA made one and do the cuts in the face to lessen the over gassing.

I will also third the FAL, G3, or M1A recommendations.
    Averageman likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    When I purchased my Galil 329 it had an aftermarket fire control group installed. I bet the previous owner did that to try to address the trigger slap. He also had installed a recoil buffer, which I removed before even trying it out. I suppose he was trying to affect the characteristics that I also found less than ideal. They are cool rifle, though. I wish I could find a real Galatz for sale!
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3449 times
    I have one of the fairly recently imported M77 PAP rifles in .308.

I did some modifications to give it a more military look.

One thing that the recent PAP rifles share is the oddly rear set of the optics rail.
    None of the commbloc scopes work adequately because the rear set of the scope makes the eye relief much too short..

I was lucky to have purchased a Krebs Custom lower clamp base some years ago that forward sets the commbloc optic for a proper eye relief.

There are some USA made adjustable mounts that can work as they allow forward setting of the optics picatinny rail for a scope and good eye relief.
    As far as shooting the M77 has satisfactory accuracy.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 11-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    nikk and otus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2160 times
    There are a lot of guys trying to talk you out of an AK and in to something else.
    Years ago I could get Garand's at the Army Rod and Gun club in pristine condition for $400 otd. I bought two and had the rebarreled in .308. Not a bad deal if you have the ability to do it.

Sponsors