Buying a Yugo SKS, what to look for?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Buying a Yugo SKS, what to look for?

Hello, I've decided to purchase (or trade for) a Yugo SKS. I don't know much about them. What are the kinds of things I want to look for in one?

I know I want matching numbers, good bore, etc. What should I avoid? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Red Jacket Goodies

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    A lot of stocks were refurbed and recycled.. look for excessive sanding along the grooves for your hand on the stock. It will be easy to spot, as the grooves won't look even. Also look to make sure you can't see another number stamped on the stock where the serial number is. Sometimes they didn't sand the old one out all the way and it bleeds through. Check to make sure the gas cut off switch rotates freely.. along with the bore these were often corroded and sometimes stuck in position.

After that I think it comes down to aesthetics. Dot vs Tritium Tube type night sights. I think there's about three different variations of grenade launcher. Probably at least as many wood types as well.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance... it's the illusion of knowledge.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3443 times
    Actually of all the potential faults of a 59/66 rifle thwe most frequent one is failure to eject/cycle. Commonly caused by bad/worn piston in the grenade gas system. Field test would reveal that. Replacements can be had for $10 + shipping so not the end of the world... but a disappointment. Check the bore since they are not chrome lined and some were pitted. Most not. Good shooters if a bit heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd look for a Chinese.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There are a few brand new ones out there that have serial # matching arsenal log books. It tells when, if ever the rifle was checked out. The new ones just show arsenal inspections and test firing.

That would be the best of the best as far as Yugos, other than that I would pay to get the best condition to start out with.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks, fellas! I am considering trading my 91/38 for one. A local guy has a Yugo SKS he is possibly willing to trade.

I think the best route would be to sell my 91/38 on gunbroker then look for a Yugo SKS on the same site to purchase outright.

I'll let you know how the whole thing goes and once I get my SKS, I'll post good pics.

Thanks again.
    Red Jacket Goodies

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well i have one of the yugos made without the grenade launcher all maching numbers i know mine is great maybe u could find one as well

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rick12337
    well i have one of the yugos made without the grenade launcher all maching numbers i know mine is great maybe u could find one as well
    Yeah, the Yugo with the grenade launcher (M59/66) is the longest, heaviest, and most problematic SKS that was made. I'd look at other SKS's.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
    Quote Originally Posted by rick12337
    Yeah, the Yugo with the grenade launcher (M59/66) is the longest, heaviest, and most problematic SKS that was made. I'd look at other SKS's.
    Yes, I second that. Get a nice Chiese. There are alot listed on the gun forums at very decent prices. I owned 3 Yugo 59/66's all 3 were JUNK. I now own 4 Chinese SKS's cannot complain, all 4 function flawlessly. Just my 4 cents. :shock:

Member #
    Liked
    1665 times
    +1 on the Chinese. I had a military issue Chinese years ago with the blade bayonet. It was so worn in it rattled but it always went bang and was reasonably accurate. I sold it like a moron. Now I have a Yugo M59 and an Albanian. I'd trade em both for that ol Chinese back. They are that good.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My chinese one shoots a lot tighter groups than my soviet one at 200m and seems to out shoot the yugoes as well but you can convert the yugoes launcher into a really cool golfball launcher. Check out surpluss rifle.com for info.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

SKS

I have 9 SKS's (2 Russian Refurbs / One Romanian / One Albanian / Two Chinese / One Yugo M59 / and Two Yugo M59/66 (One in New Unissued Condition). I have never had a problem with any of them. I like the Yugos because to me they feel more solid and built like a tank. Which they are, the Yugos built all of their weapons a little heavier and tougher because they knew they had to get a long life out of them. You can't go wrong with a good SKS, just be patient and find the right one for you. Don't jump on the first deal that comes along~~ If you decide on a Yugo let me know. I am probably going to sell my New / Unissued to fund another M59 purchase. Good luck~~Jon

p.s Mike107mm--how are you liking the Chinese Blade bayo model you got from me. Kind of regret letting that one go~~

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Jd, It is a great shooter and a beautiful looking gun. My son has already laid claim to it. I could not have made a better deal. There are also a lot of Romy sks"s out there for sale now at really decent prices that are being overlooked. This would be a good alternative to a Yugo or Chinese. Just my 7 cents. :shock:

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

SKS

Yeah, I just picked up a 57 dated Romy all matching in pretty good condition. I'm glad your son likes the rifle. Don't mean to hijack this thread~~I hope he finds him a good SKS~~

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors