Sks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Sks

Member #
    Liked
    6521 times
    I have a Chinese ghost sks that is similar. Posted a thread in here before.

Really cool rifles with history. Mine was a vet bring back that I bought in 1977 at a local gun show. No papers tho.

My sks looks like it spent its time in the jungle, inspite of the ruff bore and exterior it functions and shoots well.

If you strip it all the way down you may find Russian proof markings, mine has them.

Congrats
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    There are a lot of proof marks on it.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I plan on leaving the stock out in the sun this summer hopefully all the cosmoline will extract itself out so maybe I will find some more proof marks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fussbudget View Post
    I plan on leaving the stock out in the sun this summer hopefully all the cosmoline will extract itself out so maybe I will find some more proof marks.
    Wrap it in a black garbage bag, then throw it in the truck, or back window. That shit will just run off.
    scottyb and gonogo like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    623 times
    Depending on where that SKS serviced its career is whether you find mixed parts. The Russians did allot of rebuilds I think to make work. In other battle zones parts were replaced with what was available. Unless you have an unissued Russian SKS there is no way you can trust the top cover date. The Russians scrubbed them and renumbered them all the time so mixed dates can show up on rebuilt guns. I have found two that were Izhevesk top covers on small star Tula built guns. The serial numbers matched the receivers because they were remarked during rebuild. The Russian armorers did not care about matching manufacturers only re using serviceable parts. Other battle zones its all about making the gun work.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I agree Howie I have noticed in pics of early SKS guns and they had no markings other than serial number on the top cover.
    T and I were the only Russian factories that made the SKS so they would have to be one or the other.
    Field repairs I would say were an every day thing.
    I enjoy decoding marks and trying to figure out where certain guns spent their service life, why I have no idea.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I did lay the stock out in the sun for 3 hours or so and the cosmoline just ran out of it.
    Shot it some today and it is a joy to shoot.
    One of the guys I was shooting with had a Chinese SKS and it was well used but shot just fine. Its the only SKS I have seen that had 2 flaps on the buttstock for cleaning kits.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fussbudget View Post
    I did lay the stock out in the sun for 3 hours or so and the cosmoline just ran out of it.
    Shot it some today and it is a joy to shoot.
    One of the guys I was shooting with had a Chinese SKS and it was well used but shot just fine. Its the only SKS I have seen that had 2 flaps on the buttstock for cleaning kits.
    Those are almost always Albanian SKS rifles. Are you sure it was Chinese?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Yes it was deff a Chinese SKS.
    The Albanian stocks were longer and this was a Chinese stock.
    It did have two holes drilled in the stock as well. Could have been drilled after the butt plate change if that was what was done.
    So many odd ball differences when it comes to SKS rifles.
    Last edited by fussbudget; 06-10-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors