How to take indoor photos of parts? recommend indoor lighting? Camera settings?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By 1968roadrunner
  • 2 Post By COMM BLOC
  • 1 Post By Richard W.
  • 1 Post By Richard W.
  • 1 Post By COMM BLOC
  • 2 Post By Satisfiedpig

Thread: How to take indoor photos of parts? recommend indoor lighting? Camera settings?

Member #
    Liked
    507 times

How to take indoor photos of parts? recommend indoor lighting? Camera settings?

Im looking for some tips for taking on taking pictures of parts indoors. What to light it up with and general camera settings.

thanks
    COMM BLOC and MPiKM-72 like this.
    WTB: T1/2/3 barrels, russian t3 matching kit, izzy non refurb tg, late tula nos tc, T2 blued trigger guard
    will suck dick for russian milled T2 top cover & tube П П 8773

Member #
    Liked
    677 times
    google 'lightbox'

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    if stottman gives away all his secrets in this thread ill retire a fat rich Filipino.......
    Richard W. and MPiKM-72 like this.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    considering im currently a skinny ''European-american'' living in a hazardous gun parts hoard that means a lot.

never know when I might lose a toe around here. I wanna be an ex pat damnit! I wanna take good photos no more messin around...

Last edited by COMM BLOC; 02-01-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Yeah, gotta build a light box and use the right bulbs. Set your cameras whiteness, etc.

There are many tutorials out there. Some day I'm going to do it, too.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    considering im currently a skinny ''European-american'' living in a hazardous gun parts hoard that means a lot.

never know when I might lose a toe around here. I wanna be an ex pat damnit! I wanna take good photos no more messin around...

Haha. Monday thru Saturday only if I'm not married anymore.
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    well. I watched frank iannamico set up shop in my house to take pics he used one of those halogen quad stack shop lights on a kick stand. came out of the trunk of his car real portable. he puts those behind and sides and adjusts its kind of a no brainer. use white portable background I don't remember what he used but im going for white dry erase chalk board on my set up I think. trial by error unless stottman writes a book on it. you could always email frank hed spill the beans. biggest thing holdin me back is going getting 2 cameras at moment.

by the way Richard this chicken adobo this morning is awesome!

IMG_9423.JPG nah nah!
    Richard W. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    1) Learn to shoot your camera in manual mode in order to get consistent and repeatable results.
    2) If you are using constant lights (as opposed to strobes), you will pretty much have to shoot with a tripod as you will have to have a longer exposure time.

I wrote this blog post on how I shoot photos for monkeyedge.com. It is just an introduction. Someday I will have to get around to writing the next parts.
    How to Shoot Photos the Monkey Way ? Part I ? An Introduction and ?The Rules? News from the Edge
    MPiKM-72 and COMM BLOC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6930 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
    Yeah, gotta build a light box and use the right bulbs. Set your cameras whiteness, etc.

There are many tutorials out there. Some day I'm going to do it, too.
    LOL - I always admire and envy your photography.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Natural lighting trumps lamps and overhead lights almost every time. Go near a large window when sun is highest or it's bright enough, stand back to not get your shadow over things, steady camera, lift over, try to square it straight, take the picture. If it captures too much of unrelated background on the sides, crop it, with automated resizing on places like Ebay and various forums, this helps enhance details that might otherwise not be completely noticed because the image is essentially bigger and more focused on the subject matter. Boosts sales over non-cropped images any day.

Member #
    Liked
    6930 times
    The peril comes when I am photographing AK parts in the parking garage at lunch.

I don't have much sunlight time.

I need an artificial solution so I can be productive at 1:00AM when I have time and the sun ain't shining.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Thanks for the advice guys. Same problem as mpi. I'm usually up all night and want to take photos at that time looks like I got some googleing to do.
    WTB: T1/2/3 barrels, russian t3 matching kit, izzy non refurb tg, late tula nos tc, T2 blued trigger guard
    will suck dick for russian milled T2 top cover & tube П П 8773

Member #
    Liked
    8052 times
    Quote Originally Posted by folffairport View Post
    Natural lighting trumps lamps and overhead lights almost every time. Go near a large window when sun is highest or it's bright enough, stand back to not get your shadow over things, steady camera, lift over, try to square it straight, take the picture. If it captures too much of unrelated background on the sides, crop it, with automated resizing on places like Ebay and various forums, this helps enhance details that might otherwise not be completely noticed because the image is essentially bigger and more focused on the subject matter. Boosts sales over non-cropped images any day.
    I have much better luck with natural light for sure. I don't really want to spend the bucks on artificial lights since I sell only occasionally. I bought a cheapo photo setup off ebay a couple of years ago and it was really inadequate.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post

in this thread ill retire a fat rich Filipino.......
    in this thread ill retire a fat rich Filipino.......

Member #
    Liked
    3069 times
    Let’s start with-what kind of camera are you using?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors