Tabuk Shorty on GB - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tabuk Shorty on GB

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Actually I did purchase that gold muzzle break, totally forgot about it until I saw this pic in the album. Picked up that break and a gold painted sight leaf. Looks like the break is the exact same break in the bling bling pics posted by wingnut308.

I was gathering parts for a milled double UF mut build, haven’t gotten around to actually making it a reality.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3263 times
    I built a clone/fake Tabuk several years ago.
    Bulgarian handguards with the lower shortened. Zastava barrel and components, Galil FSB with the eight globe and drum retainer area cuyt down.
    Too cheap to SBR so I used a barrel extension. Could be easily removed.

Fiorentino likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    That was a great thread--I still have it bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    I built a clone/fake Tabuk several years ago.
    Bulgarian handguards with the lower shortened. Zastava barrel and components, Galil FSB with the eight globe and drum retainer area cuyt down.
    Too cheap to SBR so I used a barrel extension. Could be easily removed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Seems relevant to me. The bottom of the handguard in the GB auction has the same alternating black/white of the dark furniture photo you posted.

I want to get the thing in hand to see if the metal parts are factory, or Ahmed al-Bubba. I've never seen a FSB/gas block combo like that. It's different from the pimp guns, and also from Valmet and Galil ones.

I'm waaay behind @AKBlue in my knowledge of these things. Every short variant I've seen looks like one of the ones in this thread--longer barrel, and either the standard gas block or the routine carbine one. This one's shorter barrel and different gas block and muzzle device are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KrinkBusta View Post
    I may have posted these somewhere in another thread previously, canít recall. Here are a few photos I received from a guy overseas that I bought some items from a while back:

Somewhat relevant to the thread? I didnít end up purchasing anything pictured above and this was a long time ago.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    i own the white set of hand guards bought from Aaron a couple years back.
    Troglodyte6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Troglodyte
    The original condition of the rifle is like in the pic below
    https://images.app.goo.gl/XPcmejNbtuJ8jLEW6

Originally it has a Tabuk standard pistol grip (Copy of the Yugo one) and a bakelite upper and lower handguards which are unique to them ( the closest thing would be bulgarian handguards as KrinkBusta mentioned ).
    Your exact rifle has been cut down by someone in here (middle east) since short rifles are favoured due to their concealability (that is why you see lots of AKs with removed stocks and side/underfolders in middle east). Also the pistol and the hand guard are made by local gunsmiths.
    The original length of the rifle is almost like AK 104.
    Since I collect Iraqi weapons, I have been looking for similar one here but there are also very rare too.
    Last edited by Thebunghole; 04-23-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks, TBH. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it this week to get a better look at it.

I found it interesting that the gas block/muzzle device is a little different from the photo of standard one you kindly linked to. I cannot find another front end like it in any of the 200+ photos I've looked through. It's also different from the Valmets or Galils commonly used in clones.

Also the serial number on the trunnion should be for a fixed-stock M70B1-style rifle. Somewhere else on the files are photos of two converted M70B2-style slabside underfolders, but they both have the newer, correct front end, so I'll guess they were either retrofitted at the factory, or that the older, existing slabside parts were on-hand when the factory started producing these.

But those two I mentioned, and the photo you linked to, are the only two variants I've seen with the unusual front end gas block/front sight. Until this one.

So, based on the quality of the workmanship, maybe I can make a good guess as to whether this is a prototype, a factory shortened carbine, or an Iraqi "Bubba" working in his basement.

But I'm hoping to get some more educated guesses, maybe even photos, from the more experienced folks here, like you.

And I'm truly grateful that so many bad guys in Iraq sawed off their buttstocks so their rifles would look like underfolders. I may owe my life to their vanity!

Best,
    Trog

Quote Originally Posted by Thebunghole View Post
    Troglodyte
    The original condition of the rifle is like in the pic below
    https://images.app.goo.gl/XPcmejNbtuJ8jLEW6

Originally it has a Tabuk standard pistol grip (Copy of the Yugo one) and a bakelite upper and lower handguards which are unique to them ( the closest thing would be bulgarian handguards as KrinkBusta mentioned ).
    Your exact rifle has been cut down by someone in here (middle east) since short rifles are favoured due to their concealability (that is why you see lots of AKs with removed stocks and side/underfolders in middle east). Also the pistol and the hand guard are made by local gunsmiths.
    The original length of the rifle is almost like AK 104.
    Since I collect Iraqi weapons, I have been looking for similar one here but there are also very rare too.
    Thebunghole likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    My OG Tabuk furniture set with original rack circle without Arabic number.
    20190424_153333.jpg
    Thebunghole and Troglodyte6 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    Intetesting firearm no doubt.

But I have seen over half a dozen different types. Not like that one was the more standard look type.
    Generally there is no provenance or proof of authenticity., like a "bringback" with papers etc.
    Kinda becomes a "story" IMHO.

Each to their own pocketbook and decisions on value.
    That could be built here, cut up and some have a few buddies bid it up. That drives up the price of the next one. Watch a old boss of mine do something like that. We had a car with a bad motor at an salvage auction for wrecks for weeks would not sell. He took it home washed it up and backed into it with the rollback. crushing the headlight and fender. Waited a week took it right back to the auction. It sold the first bid day. hahah

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I certainly hope the folks at Krebs Custom are better than that.

I didn't get that vibe off of them.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I would be interested in learning about the half dozen types, though.

As I wrote above, I’ve only seen two distinct types that used that sort of gb/Fsb.

Four if you count the unserialed pimp guns, and the one being discussed. All except the last one fall into easy, logical categories as outlined by TRA years ago.

Would love to learn if others exist.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    It arrived today. Is there anything anybody would like a photo of?

My assessment is that the modifications are not factory--the workmanship seems adequate, but too crude to be something the guys at the factory made. That jibes with its fixed-stock serial number, when the factory ones I've seen photos of all were either purpose-built, or retrofitted from earlier slabside folders.

The furniture is alternating black and ivory material, similar to that in Post #30, third photo. Same guy could have made it. Crafted from, as @AKBlue surmised, Iraqi plastic.

I think I overbid by several hundred dollars, but I'm happy with my purchase. After I take care of some other projects, I'll get the folks at Two Rivers to build me a nice Sadr City (Sadr-day Night?) Special underfolder SBR from it, just like the ones Mookie al Sadr's boys used to shoot at me and my guys with. Or, since it was originally a fixed stock rifle (from the serial number), maybe do a pistol.
    Last edited by Troglodyte6; 04-25-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    curious as to what the barrel length is on your kit? if you don't mind me asking.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    10 1/8” barrel when I measured last night. Bore was filthy and rusty (or muddy?), but after 90 minutes’ work, it cleaned up nicely. No pitting, but I have no borescope to get a closer look.

Gas tube stamped number matches the serial on the trunnion.

Not as weathered as the auction photos made it look. 85% or better finish.

As far as I know, this is the only Iraqi-done AK “pistol” conversion in the US. I no longer feel that I overbid.

Trog

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Here are some right-from-the-box photos. Cleaned up nicely, inside and out.

JB paste made the bore bright and shiny (no bore photos, they’re clearly beyond my ability).
    sc/ant864 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors