Oil Bottles decoded
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Oil Bottles decoded

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Oil Bottles decoded

Ever wondered where the various rectangular oil bottles originated? I did, and have spent some time with the assistance of a number of individuals from around Europe and the US attempting to decode the various letters.

These are the results of those enquiries.

Three types of Russian oil bottles I have come across are pictured below. The early rectangular bottles issued with the AK47, the later double spout ‘round’ AKM version with its pouch beside it. These feature the letters ‘W H’, which I am told mean the following: The ‘W’ is in fact the Cyrillic ‘ShCh’ & the world transliterates to ‘Shchelo’ which means lye or alkaline solution / Solvent. The ‘H’ is the Cyrillic ‘N’ and transliterates to ‘Neft’ or Oil. The round single spout bottle also in the picture which features the Izhvesk ‘Arrow in Triangle’ symbol, was originally issued with the SKS I was told. This particular bottle, with many others, came from the surplus Bosnian Government stocks

To our knowledge the Romanians produced three versions, which are pictured below.

The explanation for these I got from a former Romanian soldier via a contact in Hungary. U: Ulei (oil), S: Solvent (Solvent), B: Bazã (Alkali), hence the combinations of ‘S U’, ‘U S’ & ‘B U’.

Simple enough, but if you are thinking why are there two variations of letters for one country, let us look at Hungary, my contact Zoli, in Hungary, helped me out with decoding these.

The latest version of the Plastic bottle in red & white colours, ‘Zs O’ & one that threw me for a while, until I met Zoli on the internet, is ‘T F’, are pictured below.

Zs: zsIr (oil), O: oldOszer (solvent) / T: tisztitoszer (cleaner/lye), F: fegyverolaj (oil).

That would have been three versions, if it was not for something that Zoli threw in to confuse matters; he sent me the picture below with the following explanation:

F: Fegyverolaj (oil), L: Lúg (lye).

Enough to confuse anyone, three different set of letters from one country!

Incidentally, the ‘Zs O’ bottle is the only one I have come across that has the letters stamped on both sides of the bottle.

Another fellow collector, Paul from the UK, sent me the picture below which shows the Plastic red/ white bottle and a ‘Zs O’ and ‘T F’ painted red, as is the ‘F L’ in the other picture.

So initially I thought this must have been the end users, the Hungarian Armed forces, method of simplifying things. If so, the red colour must mean the same thing…… but once we received the explanations given above, this is not the case.

Two Polish bottles are shown below, with an explanation for the letters on the rectangular bottle from a former Polish soldier who later served in the French Foreign legion:

P?: P?YN (liquid) Sm: Smar (grease)

The single spout round bottle has no letters on it.

I enquired with a Bulgarian colleague, if Bulgaria ever produced either a rectangular bottle or double spout round one, with different letters on them.

Keeping mind that both Russia and Bulgaria use the same Cyrillic alphabet with only slight differences. He had told me he has lot of both Russian and Bulgarian oil bottle, so I asked him “What is the difference between Russian and Bulgarian oil bottles, different letters?” He replied “They look the same; we pulled them out of different crates, some with Bulgarian, some with Soviet AK's”. He also told me “the letters mean alkaline & oil”.

Finally, can anyone out there help me out with the identification of this bottle?

We have been unable to positively identify this one so far, despite having followed many leads and contacts in Finland, Poland, Hungary etc. etc.

Following clues provided by the meanings of letters on the other bottles, I think it may be Czechoslovakian. Reason, the MA could mean either ‘mastnota or mazadlo. The Internet informed me that was Czech for grease.

Anyone got any suggestions for the SK?

Has any one come across any other oil bottles with other letters on them?
    TPinFl and Aslan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Well done my friend.

Member #
    Liked
    2057 times
    Great reference pictures-

Thank you for posting them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    sweet!
    RLTW

RIP Dale Brehm, Ricardo Barraza KIA 19MAR06
    RIP Pat Tillman KIA 22APR04

A-2/75 RLTW

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    Thought some one might want to see this one.

I bought it off of Ebay, it was advertised as North Korean. But have been told it is Chinese.
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I bought it off of eBay, it was advertised as North Korean. But have been told it is Chinese
    Snap, I have the same and another variation I came across.

A couple of other bottles I am told are Chi Com, although they both came back from Iraq, in Iraqi pouches with Polish steel 30 rnd magazines:

Yugoslavia had their own ‘banjo’ shaped oil bottle, which I am informed was copied from the oil bottle used by the Germans for their MG42’s in World war two. Considering the Yugoslavians continued to use the design of the MG 42 in the form of their M53, even down to retaining the 7.92mm calibre ammunition, this is believable. Two variants exist to my knowledge, one in brass, which was issued with the leather pouch for the Yugoslavian SKS rifle and the more modern black plastic oil bottle issued with the M70’s etc.

Another bottle I have come across, which also has the Cyrillic letter ‘W H’, on it, is pictured below. It came from a contact in Hungary with some Hungarian AK pouches.

Interesting enough, I have come across the picture below on eBay, which is described as a ‘captured German Mauser oil bottle, captured by the Russians’. Looks very similar to ‘one half’ of the other bottle! Perhaps another German influence there.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    SHIT !!!!!!!!!

I have over hundred AK bayonets, a safe full of AKM's, no place for all my mag pouches, and.....

NOW I see I'll have to buy some more oil bottles since I'm so far behind according to Richard's pictures that anyone and everyone can justifiably call me a newbie in the "oil" department !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Member - KCA / KBC

(and for those of you reading this via our government's super secret Echelon program, "Kiss My Ass"!!!)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Kerry,
    There are more! Have not started on the various round 'single spout' bottles and also the different versions of the AK74 plastic oil bottles. Waiting for some of those to arrive, thanks to this post, to do a postscript on them..... :razz:

You are still ahead of me on the bayonets, if that is a consolation, although I picked up a 6x3 recently which is a nice addition to the collection ha! ha!

My pouch storage is 'over flowing' too!

Stay Safe
    Richard

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Come on guys....any suggestions on the origin of the bottle with the
    'MA SK' letters?

Stay safe
    Richard

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Just back home, and amongst the mail that was waiting for me, were some additions to the oil bottle ‘collection’ from Mike F in Florida.

One bottle was a Romanian round double spout bottle marked ‘B U’.

Has anyone else come across any round double spout bottles, with any other markings on them, besides the Russian ‘W H’, the Chi Com and this one?

Also in the mail where three Plastic ‘Chi Com’ oil Bottles. All marked with a ‘Star’, but one also has a motif on the ‘b side’ see picture. Any ideas on the meaning of this motif?

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1958/chicomstarus9.jpg

Finally, a Finnish oil Bottle, ‘S A’, which also has the makers details stamped into the cap:

I have come to a blank on all avenues of enquiry regarding the ‘MA SK’ marked bottle, any ideas from anyone?
    Stay safe
    Richard

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    'AK 74' Black Plastic variations

Romanian:

Bulgarian (two versions):

Russian ( one marked one unmarked):

Got any other versions? Always looking for more....

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I have quite a few, I can't post pics from here at work though.

The Ma Sk one is a new one on me too.

I posted a thread about these a while back.
    Member - KCA / KBC & AKF #77
    Member #4 of the AKF-4
    ????

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

north korean oil bottles?

They have chicken scratch letters on the side but i lost the picture& to lazy to re-shoot it[img][/img]top of bottles[img]
    TPinFl likes this.
    KCA member # ?
    Ak forum member # 3910

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    North Korean

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img392/n

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors