Oil Bottles decoded - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Oil Bottles decoded

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jithaca
    Thought some one might want to see this one.

I bought it off of Ebay, it was advertised as North Korean. But have been told it is Chinese.
    The chinese characters translate to "alkali" (on the left) and "oil" (on the right).
    " Oh yeah, they're ready for somebody....They're not ready for us" - Snakedoc

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know if the 1-2 marking makes this Bulgarian bottle unique compared to the one shown on page one. Probably just one of many slight variations. It was shipped with my Arsenal SLR-106F.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I created a Germany section and moved the Mauser bottle into it. Thanks for the info. So far only two people have contacted me directly and only one contributed images. I should be checking this thread more often. There are still a lot of misplaced bottles I'm sure. I have started putting everything I come across that I am in doubt about in the UNKNOWN section at the bottom of the page:
    http://browningmgs.com/OilBottles/OB.htm

Here is a new one:

The cap is cork lined. Any thoughts?

As to the plum bottle with the green cap, I don't trust caps. They are easy to swap out and unless I know that a certain cap is routinely found on a particular bottle I don't take it for granted that it is original.

Thanks for the help with this. Were it not for this thread I would have a sparse reference site. [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by LRRP-87

Can anyone decipher the different oilers? I remember finding this pic, but no list with it.

Numbers 5, 6, 12, 13, 18, 19 ???

#6 & #12 are Swiss. #6 is from the K31 era and held Waffenfett. #12 is from the stgw 57 era and holds Automatenfett.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Re: Oil Bottles decoded

Thank you for the help Gunnut1, edited in the correction above.
    AK Forum member #68

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re:

Somewhere along the line the image tags in rpbcps' posts got messed, although most of the pics he linked are still on the interweb. So I can read his posts and look at the pictures inline, I've cleaned up the tags and quoted him here.

*JOHNO fixed the original posts *

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3022 times

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by rpbcps
    The round single spout bottle also in the picture which features the Izhvesk ‘Arrow in Triangle’ symbol, was originally issued with the SKS I was told.
    The two top cans in this image should both be considered AK oil bottles. The round can on the right was standard issue throughout the 1960's and early 1970's with the AKM and AKMS rifles, and is pictured in all of the official field manuals of the period. They went from the square type shown on the left to the round type on the right, at least with with AK rifles. Some well-meaning people online have decided the round pattern is strictly SKS or Mosin, and I can only assume simply because they were paired with those rifles at later dates, or imported with them. They were in fact official military issue factory supplied Soviet era AKM oil cans for almost two decades. Additionally, AKM's made in Poland and elsewhere were also issued with the same basic round metal bottle design, this as well as cleaning kits and other accessories were simply copied from what the Russians issued with their AKM's.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

So are you saying the round double spout predates the square double spout? Would this mean the square double spouts from other countries are also for the AK series weapons? I've got tons of polish ones.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3022 times

Quote Originally Posted by meyerse
    So are you saying the round double spout predates the square double spout? Would this mean the square double spouts from other countries are also for the AK series weapons? I've got tons of polish ones.
    I can't give you a completely accurate answer for your first question, just that the square double spout was officially issued in the 1949-59 time period, with the very first AK-47's. Definitely not round double spouts. Russia then went straight to using the round single spout versions, issued with 1960's AKM's (and maybe even some late issue 1960's dated T3's).

Early Polish (milled) manuals also show the square double spout as the first official Polish AK oil bottle, issued with rifles like the kbk wz. 1960 and kbkg wz. 1960. The Poles copied Russia and also changed from the square straight to the round single spout sometime during the 1960's. They first issued square bottles with their early AKM's, then went to the round single spouts style by at least the early 70's.

Neither country shows any round double spouts in thier official Kalashnikov weapons manuals over this time period, so I don't know when, or with what, the round double spouts were issued. It also won't properly fit in a Soviet mag pouch, which has always had a pocket just for an oil bottle.

As far as your first question, I'd guess that the round double spout version came out around the same period in time as the round single spouts, exactly earlier or later I do not know for sure. The square version looks older to me, and might even be an original carryover Mosin bottle design from the 1940's. I know I have received a lot of these as well used wardogs, with M/N rifles in the accessory packs (but I also got a lot of old "Mauser" bottles, too). In any case, I just don't think the round double spout belongs in an official AK oil bottle list because I contend that they were issued for different weapons (Mosin's, SKS, RPD's, etc.), and/or simply a generic oil bottle issued as a separate item and used on basically all small arms. We probably need to do more checking in other types of Russian weapons manuals of the period, to see what they show.

I hope that helps. If anyone strongly disagrees, or has any info that differs from what I have said, please let me know as I'd be glad to discuss it with you.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Any ideas on this one?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by alaskagunnut
    Any ideas on this one?

Chinese
    #1 Bean Chef!

Member #
    Liked
    199 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tantal
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerse
    I can't give you a completely accurate answer for your first question, just that the square double spout was officially issued in the 1949-59 time period, with the very first AK-47's. Definitely not round double spouts. Russia then went straight to using the round single spout versions, issued with 1960's AKM's (and maybe even some late issue 1960's dated T3's).

Early Polish (milled) manuals also show the square double spout as the first official Polish AK oil bottle, issued with rifles like the kbk wz. 1960 and kbkg wz. 1960. The Poles copied Russia and also changed from the square straight to the round single spout sometime during the 1960's. They first issued square bottles with their early AKM's, then went to the round single spouts style by at least the early 70's.

Neither country shows any round double spouts in thier official Kalashnikov weapons manuals over this time period, so I don't know when, or with what, the round double spouts were issued. It also won't properly fit in a Soviet mag pouch, which has always had a pocket just for an oil bottle.

As far as your first question, I'd guess that the round double spout version came out around the same period in time as the round single spouts, exactly earlier or later I do not know for sure. The square version looks older to me, and might even be an original carryover Mosin bottle design from the 1940's. I know I have received a lot of these as well used wardogs, with M/N rifles in the accessory packs (but I also got a lot of old "Mauser" bottles, too). In any case, I just don't think the round double spout belongs in an official AK oil bottle list because I contend that they were issued for different weapons (Mosin's, SKS, RPD's, etc.), and/or simply a generic oil bottle issued as a separate item and used on basically all small arms. We probably need to do more checking in other types of Russian weapons manuals of the period, to see what they show.

I hope that helps. If anyone strongly disagrees, or has any info that differs from what I have said, please let me know as I'd be glad to discuss it with you.

I've always been under the impression that the round double spout Russian oil bottles only came with Mosin Nagants.

Nathan

Member #
    Liked
    395 times

I have a beautoful 1968 dated Russian AKM poster that shows the round double spout oil bottle and the black plastic oil both as options.

MDI

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

Looks like most of these are here already.

MPiKM-72 likes this.
    --If you are going to fall down, at least fall forward to gain ground.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

As requested, I just finished fixing all of the image codes. The pics should be good to go.
    "Scars are Tattoos with a better story"

The AK Forum Site Staff ~ Retired

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors