• 1 Post By Norty
  • 3 Post By Richard W.
  • 3 Post By Mr. B.
  • 1 Post By Norty

Thread: Help Identifying Bayo & Mag Pouch

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Last edited by Norty; 06-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Mr. B. likes this.
    The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mr. B. likes this.
    The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?

Member #
    Liked
    2199 times
    Pouch is Bulgarian. Bayonet is East German.
    JeepFan, Mr. B. and SVDS like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
    Pouch is Bulgarian. Bayonet is East German.
    Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Richard W. is correct! The bayonet and scabbard are East German (DDR) AKM 6X4 Type II. This bayonet and scabbard plus the grey leather belt hanger were originally made and issued in East Germany. However, this particular bayonet was sold to Bulgaria after the German reunification. It was re-numbered and reissued there with a Bulgarian leather wrist strap. Therefore I would consider it Bulgarian and display it as such as the end user. Mr. B.
    JeepFan, scottyb and SVDS like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
    Richard W. is correct! The bayonet and scabbard are East German (DDR) AKM 6X4 Type II. This bayonet and scabbard plus the grey leather belt hanger were originally made and issued in East Germany. However, this particular bayonet was sold to Bulgaria after the German reunification. It was re-numbered and reissued there with a Bulgarian leather wrist strap. Therefore I would consider it Bulgarian and display it as such as the end user. Mr. B.
    Great info Mr. B. Thanks!!
    Mr. B. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Definitely Bulgarian, and definitely a 3 cell mag pouch. The pocket in the front/right of the pouch is for 4 loaded stripper clips, not a mag. The little cloth loop is where the small end of the stripper clip adapter goes, the small leather strap runs over it so it (and the loaded clips) can't fall out.

In any case, if you were wondering there's 2 surefire ways to tell the difference between a Soviet AK-74 pouch and a Bulgarian one.

1. The "thorns" are bulgarian pouches are painted black, on Soviet pouches they are almost always bare brass.

2. The material of the belt-loops is similar to their country of origin's sling material. That means is stiffer/denser weave for soviet stuff, and softer/more pliable on the Bulgarian. Usually the Soviet ones are more yellowish while the Bulgarian are more greenish, but there's enough variance that color alone isn't always a surefire ID method.

I've heard some people claim that the color of the leather tells you what country the pouch came from and that's total nonsense. Pouches of this type were made with black and brown leather in both countries.
    Last edited by jekbrown; 06-30-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    BTW ...... no one has mentioned that the pouch is for 30rd AK-74 magazines. I am not an authority on pouches, but not sure about the pocket for stripper clips on the right front. I see stitching on the exterior for slots for 3 or 4 empty strippers and would expect a slot or loop inside for the clip adapter. Not sure if there would be room for 4 loaded strippers, maybe 2or 3 tops. I would like to see more detailed pictures before deciding. Mr. B.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    More great info....thanks fellas!!! Pictures coming shortly.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
    BTW ...... no one has mentioned that the pouch is for 30rd AK-74 magazines. I am not an authority on pouches, but not sure about the pocket for stripper clips on the right front. I see stitching on the exterior for slots for 3 or 4 empty strippers and would expect a slot or loop inside for the clip adapter. Not sure if there would be room for 4 loaded strippers, maybe 2or 3 tops. I would like to see more detailed pictures before deciding. Mr. B.
    After seeing the additional pictures, I will stick with my original assessment above. Three small slots/pockets for empty stripper clips plus room for loaded stripper clips and a place for a stripper clip to magazine adapter. the pocket on the left side is for cleaning equipment. It is also possible that if the stripper clips and adapter were left out a 4th magazine may be carried. Mr. B.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    There's 4 slots for empty stripper clips, you just can't see it very well because the 4th one is on the side of the pouch and the pic is from the direct front. As far as the side pocket goes, yes, the main compartment is for the squarish black plastic oil bottle and the smaller compartment is for the cleaning kit.

Interestingly, when you go to RPK-74 pouches, another pocket is added to the side pocket, which is for the clip guide. On RPK pouches there are two dedicated pockets for loaded clips that are quite narrow and really only allow for one loaded clip each. These don't have any provision for storing the clip guide, so they added a small pocket inside the cleaning gear side pocket for it.

Sponsors