• 1 Post By howiebearse
  • 1 Post By Richard W.
  • 1 Post By AKBLUE

Thread: Circle 10 Bayonet Question

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Circle 10 Bayonet Question

Are they supposed to be sharp? I received one recently and it is dull as can be but it doesnít look like it was ever meant to be sharp.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Not sharp like a steak knife, the bayonet was intended to wreak havoc on human flesh and spear a snack I suppose

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I have 6 or so and none of them are very sharp but I mean Just picture your body weight pushing the rifle into another body I don't imagine it needed to be very sharp to puncture and do its job. Especially the chinese spiker bayonets I imagine they will puncture with little to no effort

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1560 times
    Do not waste your time trying to put a sharp knife edge on a Com Bloc Bayonet. Like mentioned, it is more for body cavity flesh sticking and a rudimentary razor/fence wire cutter.
    Mr. B. likes this.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    m7 & m9 bayos have a decent edge

Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Bayonets are for plunging into another soldier not ment as camp knives. Most soldiers carry a good sharp sheath knife in the field
    Hootbro likes this.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Youíre not going shave with it, but they are certainly intended to function as a field/fighting knife as well as a bayonet.

Itís meant to be kept somewhat sharp, so they hard-chromed everything except the edges, which are usually blued when they leave the factory.

These are the armorers' instructions for resharpening 6x3/6x4 blades from a translated East German manual.

Last edited by Richard W.; 02-12-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    Mr. B. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    You don't have to be terribly sharp to pierce flesh, especially if you have a rifle and dude putting all his weight behind the thrust. You'll get plenty of damage done with a roughly pointed edge and a good amount of force behind it.

I expect the intention was that the bayonets didn't need to be razor sharp to do their job, so no point in putting in the extra effort. But if a soldier wanted to sharpen his bayonet it was an option.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    The metal is relatively soft, so they won't hold an edge very long. If the metal was hard enough to hold an edge it would be too brittle and could break

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3549 times
    The bayonet can be sharpened if desired.
    As noted the metal is not knife blade quality.
    Generally., sharpening a bayonet will reduce it's value quite significantly., if that matters to the owner.
    Mr. B. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    i just got a NOS AK47 bayonet from Finland. it still had a lot of cosmolean on it. the holder is stamped steel and spot welded around the edge. it has web cloth loop for a belt and leather strap with brass peg to keep it on the holder and also bake alite, or how ever you spell it, handle has serial number and one or two manufacture stamps on it. i don't have a AK47 it will fit on just got it cause it's cool looking and is brand new. it even has a factory super sharp edge on it. cleaned most of the cosmo off it put still has some and the smell for sure is still there.

Sponsors