Russian 40 round mag pouches...47 v 74?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyb
  • 1 Post By Stottman
  • 1 Post By TPinFl

Thread: Russian 40 round mag pouches...47 v 74?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Russian 40 round mag pouches...47 v 74?

Hey guys, did the Soviets/Russians use the same pouches for their 40 round mags / rpk gunners when they transitioned from 762 to 545, or did they come up with a new design when 545 came along? I'm trying to figure out which types are proper for each gen on RPK...

Member #
    Liked
    5568 times
    I believe the older 7.62 pouches do fit the later 5.45 mags but if memory serves correct they made 3 and two cell pouches later which might be the 5.45 version.

The older 7.62 mags have a good curve to them where as the newer 5.45 mags are much straighter.

I have recent Russian digi flora pouches for my Vepr 1V and these are indeed made to fit the 5.56/5.45 mags.
    otus likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2031 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    I wish I had seen that thread before Photobucket did the internet equivalent of burning The Library of Alexandria.

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I believe the older 7.62 pouches do fit the later 5.45 mags but if memory serves correct they made 3 and two cell pouches later which might be the 5.45 version.

The older 7.62 mags have a good curve to them where as the newer 5.45 mags are much straighter.

I have recent Russian digi flora pouches for my Vepr 1V and these are indeed made to fit the 5.56/5.45 mags.
    I bought what turned out to be a RPK-74 4-cell mag pouch for my RPK 7.62 40 round mags. They will fit but it's super tight - probably tighter than anyone serving in the field would want to use.

This 74 mag pouch is a darker green canvas with a lighter OD green strap that is the same canvas and color as the slings. It also has two extra smaller pockets on the front with the places to store empty stripper clips sewn inside them. If I could find a proper NOS Russian pouch for 40 round 7.62 mags, I'd swap this 74 mag pouch out in a heartbeat.

Member #
    Liked
    411 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    I bought what turned out to be a RPK-74 4-cell mag pouch for my RPK 7.62 40 round mags. They will fit but it's super tight - probably tighter than anyone serving in the field would want to use.

This 74 mag pouch is a darker green canvas with a lighter OD green strap that is the same canvas and color as the slings. It also has two extra smaller pockets on the front with the places to store empty stripper clips sewn inside them. If I could find a proper NOS Russian pouch for 40 round 7.62 mags, I'd swap this 74 mag pouch out in a heartbeat.
    The dedicated 545 pouches will have the stripper clip pockets. I would guess they would issue the RPK's with correct mags, pouches and accoutrements but that's just my best guess.

Here is a link to a mag pouch ID thread I did on the akfiles- https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375539
    Last edited by TPinFl; 01-02-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    russian_bot_5791 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post

AoA may still have Romy 4 compartment RPK pouches.

If not I should have a spare ak47 that I could trade/swap for your ak74.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    AoA may still have Romy 4 compartment RPK pouches.

If not I should have a spare ak47 that I could trade/swap for your ak74.
    Yeah man if you have a spare Soviet RPK pouch I will definitely trade.

Member #
    Liked
    5568 times
    Mine are Romanian, not Russian.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors