Local Thrift Store Chock Full of Cheap Combloc Gear
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Local Thrift Store Chock Full of Cheap Combloc Gear

Member #
    Liked
    188 times

Local Thrift Store Chock Full of Cheap Combloc Gear

I live in rural North Georgia and I enjoy browsing the local roadside thrift stores here. They seem to pop up and then just disappear. Yesterday I stopped in a new one that I had never been to. To my surprise, the place had a surprisingly large selection of combloc surplus gear. Most of the stuff I was familiar with and had seen before. A few things I had never seen. Nearly all of it was very reasonably priced with the exception of one item I'll mention later in this post. Sorry for the lack of pics but I had left my phone in the car and didn't want to retrieve it and then start snapping photos of everything and arouse the owners suspicion, only to return later and see that he had marked up the prices on all the stuff LOL. Anyway ----------

There was a lot of East German stuff with the rain pattern camo. All looked brand new. They had a few of the rain pattern backpacks with the gray nylon straps but I didn't see the price on them. There were EG canteen sets that included the canteen, camo button-up cover, and cup. Also had rain pattern camo 4-cell AK mag pouches, the gray nylon belts with the gray painted EG hammer/compass buckles, those green nylon EG web belts that have the buckle and attachment places based on the British Pattern 58 web gear, and some small 3-cell pouches (for grenades maybe?) that hooked to that particular belt. Also had a bunch of those gray field caps with the two buttons on the front. Those had the metal EG cap badges and one had what appeared to be a crossed cavalry swords badge. There were two EG rain pattern camo field jackets or smocks. I had never seen these particular ones before. They looked like they had a reversible white snow camo pattern on the inside. I ended up buying a rain pattern EG vest. Not sure if it started out its life as a vest or if someone had cut the sleeves off it. It has a bunch of different sized pockets and two metal D-rings near the shoulders. I'll post some pics of it later.

There were a bunch of what appeared to be old Soviet military BDU tops. The color was like a sandy brown. They all had a row of big shiny gold buttons running down the front with a star and the hammer/sickle. Most had the familiar purple ink stamp on the inside in Cyrillic and a couple were dated 1971.

All the stuff I listed above was priced very reasonably. So reasonably in fact, I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and buy everything that's left for resale. The stuff is priced so low that I could flip it all at very low prices - lower than anything you could find on the internet - and still make a dollar or two.

There was one item that was priced a lot higher than all the other stuff, though. There were about four of these particular items. I have never seen these before in all my days of shopping for surplus stuff or watching hours of footage of world conflict. These appeared to be 8-piece Bulgarian webbing sets. They were all brand new and had a piece of paper attached to them with stuff written in Bulgarian describing the contents of the set. They looked a lot like the British Pattern 58 webbing and all the pouches had those "pull tabs" to open them up. The belt, H-Strap suspenders, and pouches were all dark green canvas material. Looked like there was one 4-cell mag pouch. Does anyone here know what weapon this Bulgarian webbing was designed for? AK-74, maybe? If they were made for a AK-74 and the mag pouch will fit 5.45 mags I might just get one. They look cool as hell and they can't be too common. I just wish they weren't $60. Everything else was is so cheap I feel weird paying that much for the rig.
    otus, Mullo98, AZAK and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Your vest sounds like it might be a DDR Fallschirmjager vest. There are real ones and there are repros.

East German stuff is awesome.
    JeepFan likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Your vest sounds like it might be a DDR Fallschirmjager vest. There are real ones and there are repros.
    This is the vest.

QOlFlDL.jpg

G607dWI.jpg
    otus, MPiKM-72, scottyb and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Hmmm, I have not seen that type before.

Not a Fallschirmjager vest.

It does have the Makarov holster sewn in.

What does the size tag show?
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Tag is white with SG 52 in red letters.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Nice! SG52 is L-XL Tall.

Nice size chart to follow for DDR uniforms can be found at this link.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/page/east-german-size-chart/22445

Keep in mind the Czechs also issued a "rain pattern" type camo - very similar to DDR but has what looks like watercolor stains. The reversible parka might be Czech.

I posted a pic of a Czech parka in this thread.

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/51...ng-smocks.html
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-25-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    russian_bot_5791 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    I don't think the reversible jacket is Czech, but I could be wrong. The reason why I say this is that the "snow camo" on the inside looked kinda like the old SS pea-dot pattern except it wasn't all over. It looked like it was mostly white with splotches of the pea-dot.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Well, you were correct. It is a Czech jacket and it's not reversible. Apparently that's just what the backside of the camo pattern looks like. It fit me so I bought it. This Euro stuff seems hard to find in the larger sizes I'm 6'2").

C1JlgBL.jpg

EdrYlAl.jpg

TKHPALG.jpg

With the exception of the Bulgarian web gear (that I'm probably going to start another thread about I talked him down to $30) everything else I got today was East German.

Got these 3 pistol belts that are based on the British Pattern 58 belt.

xJ5Wqky.jpg

Got two 3-cell grenade pouches that fit on the pistol belts:

mcziJH4.jpg

CONTD:
    MPiKM-72, scottyb, Mullo98 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Two 4-cell AK-47 mag pouches. One is the "straight" kind with the pouch for the cleaning kit, the other is the curved variety:

EG_mag_pouches.JPG

Thought this was kinda cool. East German balaclava. The tag says "NVA:

EG_balaclava.JPG

EG_balaclava_02.JPG

Got a slew of those gray nylon belts. One looks more worn than the others. The rest look new.

EG_belts_01.JPG

EG_belts_02.JPG

CONTD:

For some reason I can't see the pics anymore they just say "Attachment #12325 etc.
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 04-25-2019 at 11:49 PM.
    MPiKM-72, Mullo98, otus and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Also got 10 East German canteens. Some still have this paper stuff wrapped around the cups. Don't know if that was for sanitary purposes or what. Some of them have a little metal chain that attaches the cap, others have this plastic thing.

EG_canteens.JPG
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 04-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    MPiKM-72, Mullo98, otus and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    Well, you were correct. It is a Czech jacket and it's not reversible. Apparently that's just what the backside of the camo pattern looks like. It fit me so I bought it. This Euro stuff seems hard to find in the larger sizes I'm 6'2").

C1JlgBL.jpg

EdrYlAl.jpg

TKHPALG.jpg

With the exception of the Bulgarian web gear (that I'm probably going to start another thread about I talked him down to $30) everything else I got today was East German.

Got these 3 pistol belts that are based on the British Pattern 58 belt.

xJ5Wqky.jpg

Got two 3-cell grenade pouches that fit on the pistol belts:

mcziJH4.jpg

CONTD:
    It is harder to find the Czech jackets like that. The Czech smocks are easier to find.

The green belts are DDR "UTV" pattern belts. As you observed they basically ripped off the British web gear design. DDR was re-equipping their entire army with green UTV at the time the wall came down.

The smaller pouches are UTV grenade pouches. They work well for SKS stripper clipped ammo.

I started buying East German militaria when the wall came down - circa 1990-1991. My German ancestors came from an area that eventually ended up being East Germany. Local gun show vendor got me hooked - his wife was Hungarian and he was always importing cool stuff.

I am continually amazed that there is still oodles of East German militaria on the market, but some things are beginning to dry up.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 04-26-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Member #
    A dark, ruined castle in Transylvania. Otherwise known as Mississippi
    Liked
    812 times
    Nice finds. Can’t say I’m not jealous of ya!
    Interested in Middle Eastern, South Asian and Yugoslavian AKs and gear. Only a woman can break his spell...

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Well, I have to go back again today and get one of their EG combat packs they had for sale there. Getting ready to head out the door now. I was unaware that the pack straps also double as suspenders for the gray belt and other LBE. I just want one semi-complete EG LBE set out of all this (mag pouch, belt, canteen, suspenders, backpack). The rest of this stuff I am probably going to sell super cheap on the forum MP.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    487 times
    Unfortunately there are a lot of East German repo items being made. Don't think any of this is, just have to keep an eye out.

Good find on the Czech camo. Local shop here in St Louis had some, marked down dirt cheap Not my thing but I've known the owners for decades. Informed them they could mark it up a bit and still sell it pretty quickly. No use in giving it away
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Got a pack and 2 sets of Y-Straps to try and put together one (maybe 2) sets of EG web gear. Does anyone know why the strap on the back is shorter and the attachments at the end are different?

EG_pack_suspenders.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors