Local Thrift Store Chock Full of Cheap Combloc Gear - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Local Thrift Store Chock Full of Cheap Combloc Gear

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Good deals all. BTW, this seems to be the perfect segue to mention I have a bunch of like-new 3-inch E. German web straps w/rectangular D-rings for sale! These, just like the German WW2 ones, can add an extra three inches length to your Y-straps or other equipment. I am going to keep a few but the rest are up for grabs @ $1.00 each plus shipping. Would like to see these spread out among others whom may need them, so prefer to have a six loops per customer limit for the next week. After that, happy to sell what remains as one lot should anyone be interested...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by pwcosol; 04-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    scottyb and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    If you paid under $50 for that you got a bargain.
    The guy originally wanted $60, but since I cleaned him out and bought so much other stuff I talked him down to $30. It was brand new/unissued with that old paper tag with the Bulgarian writing that described the contents still attached so I was pretty pleased with the price. I actually went back - again - and dug around deeper into one of the bins and came out with an early gray leather(?) shovel pouch and one of the last versions of a mag pouch the E. Germans produced. It hooks into the wide, pale green nylon pistol belt and has those stiff nylon pull tabs like the grenade pouches.

After this last run I did some rearranging with all the stuff I got and ended up with nearly 3 sets of EG web gear. I'm going to get one set of the last version of the suspenders/shoulder straps they made somewhere on the internet now since that would be the last piece needed to have 3 functional sets that have at least a belt, mag pouch, suspenders, and two canteens. I also put together a green nylon pistol belt and 2 canteens to mate with a 4-cell Chinese AK chest rig.

Just add AK74.
    I have a Bulgarian kit I'm saving up to have built right now, actually.

Is the shovel Bulgarian?
    Unfortunately, no. I might have to purchase one now though LOL. Might order one of those Bulgarian "bamboo" canteens to go with this set, as well. Right now the canteen pouch is holding one of the 10 or so E. German canteens I got. The folding shovel is actually East German, as well. I ordered it from Coleman's military surplus with a bunch of other camping gear like 5 or 6 years ago. It's found a new home in that shovel pouch I got the last time I hit this honey hole.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pwcosol View Post
    I have a bunch of like-new 3-inch E. German web straps w/rectangular D-rings for sale! These, just like the German WW2 ones, can add an extra three inches length to your Y-straps or other equipment. I am going to keep a few but the rest are up for grabs @ $1.00 each plus shipping.
    I'll take 6.

I need at least 3 for one set of web gear I assembled. It's the one using what I believe to be the earliest version of the shoulder straps - the ones without the square metal ring at the end that loop under the back of the belt then up and over the metal hook. These are the ones that only have a hook on the end that the belt sits down inside of. They actually work better than I thought they would (if you have everything adjusted properly) but, as I previously mentioned, I'm 6'2" and that particular set of shoulder straps rides REALLY high on me even when maxed out at their longest length. I know LBE isn't supposed to ride low on your waist at trouser belt level, but that particular set of suspenders is almost level with my sternum. I'd like it to be lower so I'll gladly take some of these.

PM inbound.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    I'll take 6.
    I need at least 3 for one set of web gear I assembled. It's the one using what I believe to be the earliest version of the shoulder straps - the ones without the square metal ring at the end that loop under the back of the belt then up and over the metal hook. These are the ones that only have a hook on the end that the belt sits down inside of. They actually work better than I thought they would (if you have everything adjusted properly) but, as I previously mentioned, I'm 6'2" and that particular set of shoulder straps rides REALLY high on me even when maxed out at their longest length. I know LBE isn't supposed to ride low on your waist at trouser belt level, but that particular set of suspenders is almost level with my sternum. I'd like it to be lower so I'll gladly take some of these. PM inbound.
    Got you covered & will PM you w/the details shortly...

Member #
    Liked
    1035 times
    glad you hit a pretty good lick. I grew up probably not too far from you, in Chattanooga. (specifically, Signal Mountain)
    russian_bot_5791 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    349 times
    All pretty good stuff. I've never seen a full Bulgarian kit like that before. It looks pretty great.
    WTB: Russian beavertail AK74 magazine release

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    All pretty good stuff. I've never seen a full Bulgarian kit like that before. It looks pretty great.
    Thanks. It ought to be great. I paid $30 for the 8 piece set. Not like that's an awful lot, but considering I paid $1.00 for all the balaclavas, belts, suspenders, mag pouches, grenade pouches, shovel pouch, and canteens it's pretty steep. Everything was a dollar except the Bulgarian web gear set ($30.00), the EG field pack ($5.00), the Czech jacket ($4.00), and the East German vest ($4.00).

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
    glad you hit a pretty good lick. I grew up probably not too far from you, in Chattanooga. (specifically, Signal Mountain)
    Love Chattanooga. I'm a little over an hour away. I live tucked away in the far northeast corner of the state near North Carolina and South Carolina. Still pretty close to Tennessee, though. I'd like Chattanooga a whole lot more if I hadn't married my ex-wife there.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Well, after getting those belt loop/D-rings from our fellow member for $6.00 and ordering a set of the late variant of EG suspenders from an online vendor for $10.00, I was able to piece together 3 different versions of EG web gear - early, mid, and late variants.

This is the first setup. It's got the earlier version of the gray suspenders with the hooks on the end that fits into the belt or D-ring belt loops. The front of the suspenders have two straps - one that adjusts like a belt with holes in it, and another with a metal D-ring on the end that either hooks onto the spring clip on the rear of the canteen or loops back underneath your armpits and attaches to the hooks on the bottom of the field pack.

This rig also has the earlier curved mag pouch and earlier version of the canteen with the spring clip on the back.

VcZY69p.jpg

MD8CyI3.jpg

This is the "belt type adjustment" strap on the front:

z6MfffA.jpg

This is the hook on the end of the early version of the suspenders that hooks directly to the bottom of the belt or into the D-ring on the belt loops:

QzGpaU5.jpg

What I paid for everything:

web belt (1st version) - $1.00
    suspenders (1st version) - $1.00
    magazine pouch (1st version) - $1.00
    2X canteens (1st version) - $2.00
    3x belt loop/D-rings - $3.00

GRAND TOTAL = $8.00
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    This is the 2nd setup I put together. I guess this would be an upgraded version of the first set. Web belt is unchanged, but it has a different type of hook and D-ring on the end of the suspender straps (instead of just a plain old hook). It attaches to the belt by looping the metal ring under and over the belt and into the metal hook where it is tightened. This rig also has a shovel pouch, a field pack, and 2 of the early version of the canteens with the spring clips. It also has the later "straight" version of the mag pouch with a pocket for the cleaning kit. I already owned the East German shovel in the pic before I raided the thrift store.

001.jpg

002.jpg

This is the updated version of the end of the front suspender strap. Instead of the single hook, the length of webbing with the D-ring wraps around the belt and tightens around the hook:

003.jpg

This is the other strap on the front of the suspenders with the metal D-ring. This D-ring can either loop underneath your smelly armpits and attach to the hooks on the bottom of the field pack, or, if you don't have a field pack, you can attach them to the spring clip on the back of the early version of the canteen.

004.jpg

005.jpg

web belt (1st version) - $1.00
    suspenders (2nd version) - $1.00
    magazine pouch (2nd version) - $1.00
    2X canteens (1st version) - $2.00
    2x belt loop/D-rings - $2.00
    shovel pouch - $1.00
    field pack - $5.00

GRAND TOTAL = $13.00
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 05-09-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Forum screwing up again. Pics displaying as "ATTACHMENT 12345XXX"
    scottyb and Refresh like this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    This is the 3rd and last setup I put together. I had some of this stuff on one of a complete web gear set I posted earlier, but I decided instead of having one big "Rambo Rig" I would just use one mag pouch per belt with some other stuff and have 3 sets of this web gear.

As stated earlier in this thread by another member, this is the last stuff they made. It's based on the British Pattern 58 web gear. The East Germans went from using a "Y-Strap" to an "H-Strap" with this gear. The closures on the front of all the pouches are the "pull tab" kind like the Pattern 58 stuff, as well.

Fy7rDVi.jpg

avihbWW.jpg

This is a close-up of how everything attaches and also the later version of the canteens without the spring clip:

n1KkhH1.jpg

Last version of the EG 30 round mag pouch:

RB3wuIr.jpg

Ink stamp on the back of a grenade pouch:

n2eLb6j.jpg

web belt (2nd version) - $1.00
    suspenders (3rd version) - $10.00
    magazine pouch (3rd version) - $1.00
    2X canteens (2nd version) - $2.00
    2X grenade pouch - $2.00

GRAND TOTAL = $16.00

So, I ended up paying $37.00 for 3 variant sets of East German web gear spanning a good portion of the entire history of the DDR. Only had to make two online purchases outside of the thrift store totaling $16.00 to accomplish this. I feel like I have a pretty good grip on a lot of their field gear now, as well. Good history lesson.
    scottyb and CGSteve like this.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Very nice EG rigs at a bargain price! Glad those web D-rings worked out well. Have two sets of the "Y-straps" myself, so guess I will check today to see which ones they are...

Member #
    Liked
    4608 times
    I luv me sum web gear.

Sharing is caring.
    russian_bot_5791 and MPiKM-72 like this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I still need the shovel, I missed out on them for <$10 when Fleet Farm used to sell surplus...
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors